JR paper schedule

May 12th, 2005, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

JR paper schedule

Hi,
Does anyone know how or where I can get a printed JR schedule (in English) before leaving the US? Or are they available in Japan? Right now I'm using hyperdia with great success. My concern is, what if I want to be more flexible with travel times? Without internet access, and with my inability to read Japanese,a printed schedule would be a huge relief!
Any ideas?
May 12th, 2005, 02:34 PM
emd

Call the NYC JR office. I went there and got one last fall (echlish scheudles for ALL JR trains, not just shinkansen), and when the time came for my trip, they sent me an updated and then-current version.
May 12th, 2005, 02:45 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! I thought you had mentioned something of the sort in an earlier post! I've googled JR NYC and all I get is the JTB offices. Is that what you mean? Do you have an exact address or phone number? Thanks!
May 12th, 2005, 02:54 PM
Original Poster

Emd, I found your post on japan-guide and it gives me all the info I need! I'll post it here in case anyone else wants it.
>JR office is at One Rockefeller Center on 49th St, Suite 1622. JNTO is in same bldg. at Suite 1250. JR office is 212-332-8686, but they have small staff and do not answer phones, the message refers you to the website. Also, the website doesn't list this NY office! >
Thanks emd!
May 12th, 2005, 05:21 PM
emd

Glad to be of help, jmday. Personally, I would not go to Japan without the paper schedule, for exactly the reason you want it-- maxiumum flexibility at the last minute. Sorry to make you dig for that number, but glad you found it.
JR NYC office are very friendly people AND most importnat, they follow through w/what they say they will send you (unlike JNTO in my experience, unfortunately).
May 12th, 2005, 05:24 PM
emd

hmmm, not sure what I meant by saying JR doesn't answer phone- I guess that was an experience I had earlier on in my trip planning but I was able to get through for the most recent paper schedule in early March when I called. If you have trouble getting through to them, repost. I have a direct number to one of the magagers I can give you.
May 12th, 2005, 05:24 PM
emd

that's "managers"
May 12th, 2005, 05:29 PM

I called them a month ago for a printed schedule. The man took my address and said he would put me on the mailing list. No schedule appeared. I called back early this week and the lady said she would send it out. No problem, though, if it doesn't appear.
May 13th, 2005, 05:59 AM
Original Poster

Yay!!! I wasn't going to call after reading that they don't answer the phone, but I just read your post emd and gave it a go! I hope they'll send me the timetable. I'm not sure the woman got my address correct, but, if not I'll just go down to NYC in June and pick up a schedule! What a relief though! (Like a security blanket I guess) Thanks emd!
May 13th, 2005, 11:00 AM
emd

If you end up going there, stop by the JNTO office in the same bldg. They have racks of really great maps and info you can pick up.
May 13th, 2005, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

I had a chance to go to New York in March with my oldest son. I was so excited to visit the JNTO offices! I got lots of great brochures which I'll be bringing on our trip. I was so frustrated to find out AFTER my trip to the city that the JR offices were also right there! So close, yet so far... Thanks emd. The silver lining is - one more reason to visit the city (if the timetable isn't sent)!
May 13th, 2005, 03:01 PM

The second try with JR East worked. The timetable arrived today (maybe yesterday).
May 17th, 2005, 10:30 AM
Original Poster

My timetable arrived yesterday! Now we can do some "spur of the moment" trips out of Tokyo!
May 17th, 2005, 11:38 AM
emd

great news! I wish I was getting a new schedule and going also, like you and mrw.