Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Transportation - kanazawa, takayama, kamakura

May 15th, 2005, 04:15 AM
Original Poster

Hi there

Thanks especially to Kim for the feedback re: our upcoming trip to Japan. I think we are just about set and have final questions mostly re: transportation.

May 29- train to Kanazawa (stay at Tokyu Hotel per Kim's suggestion) and stay 2 nights
May 31 take the bus to Shirakawa, sightsee and then the same afternoon take the bus to Takayama to stay there
June 1 - spend the morning sightseeing Takayama and then train that afternoon to Kamakura
June 2 - 2 hours in the morning for Kamakura and then must be at Narita airport to catch 4:55 flight back to US

We will book a place in Takayama - either
http://www.ryokan-seiryu.co.jp/
http://www.takayama-koto.co.jp/

Does this seem too rushed? Any ideas for accommodation close to train station in Kamakura? What is the best way to find out about bus schedule for Kanazawa - Shirakawa - Takayama (I assume not JR buses as i did not see it on the site).

THANK YOU!
May 15th, 2005, 06:02 AM

I don't think that it is too rushed. There are a couple of threads on this forum with bus schedule info that you can find if you do a search.

The Seiryu looks nice. Can't tell where it is at on their map:
http://www.ryokan-seiryu.co.jp/img/b_map.jpg
They do have availability that night for all of their room types.

The other ryokan looks nice too. I think one of their webpages says something about borrowing a kimono.

(btw, that map reminds me that I think Takayama is much more navigable than Kanazawa, since you can walk everywhere, except bus up to Hida-no Sato, but easy walk back).

But since you are visiting Shirakawago, you can skip the Hida-no Sato in Takayama. You might consider staying overnight in Shirakawago at a gassho-zukuri (like Koemon).

This option gives you a choice between a minshuku in a village vs a ryokan in a small city (either of which would be great fun).

After a night in Shirakawago you could spend several hours the next day visiting Takayama before going on to Kamakura.
May 15th, 2005, 01:58 PM

Just a quick comment...gotta go to work. Some other friends stayed at the Seiryu last October and said it was a bit run down. We had stayed there 7 years ago and it was nice, so I recommended to them...but...
May 15th, 2005, 03:55 PM

OK...got time.

For the Tokyu, the rates in Japanese are significantly lower. For the 29th and 30th May, I find 12,500 yen per room per night with breakfast. (6,250 per person per night). In English, it 25,200 yen. Save 50% by booking in Japanese....I can do it for you if you have an e-mail address for the confirmation.

The bus schedules are posted somewhere in here like Mrwnrfl said. There are a few buses each day. When you arrive at Kanazawa station, make your first stop tourist info...go out the ticket gates, turn right. Before exitiing the station you will see tourist info on the left. In there, there is supposed to be an English speaker...you can get the bus schedules there for sure, and then you can go purchase the tickets for the bus while you are at the station.

I think that a night in Shirakawa-go might be really nice. The price, including dinner is about 8000 yen per person per night. If you are really nice to the people in tourist info, maybe you can convince to call S-go tourist info for you and book a room, as there is no English speaker in S-go info center...It would be lovely to stay in a small place like that...get a place with an irori and a hinoki bath (specifically for these things). Since it's a weekday, accommodation in S-go shouldn't be too bad. Actually, you could ask tourist info in the first place you go, or if you are in a nice hotel with great staff, they might help you. Only thing for sure is that a travel agency cannot book the Shirakawa-go rooms for you...S-go does not list their minshuku with agencies. Booking directly with a minshuku is also possible if you know exactly where you want to stay.

Agree with mrwrnfl about Takayama's hida museum...if you are in S-go you can skip Takayama's museum and just do the old town area. While I like Takayama, I find S-go more friendly and charming and unique.

May 17th, 2005, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

Kim and mrwunrfl - thanks for the tip. Okay, this is it...we have to make a decision (I am actually in Munich for a meeting then amsterdam and then straight to tokyo so i need to start booking things).

If you had to pick between Gero or Matsumoto for an onsen experience, what would it be? we decided we should spend a day doing this so will either do it sat 28 and then its gero (28th) to shirakawa-go (29th) and then kanazawa (30, 1) OR matsumoto (28th) kanazawa (29/30) and then shirakawa-go (1st).

Yes, once we decide we would really appreciate it if KimJapan could help us with bookings re: Kanazawa in Japanese.

Lastly, my husband is highly allergic to all seafood. he has a note in Japanese someone wrote for him - will this cause a problem for any set meals??
May 17th, 2005, 01:30 PM

Glad to help with the hotel. Send me an e-mail teaghanmackenzie at hotmail.com

About the seafood allergy. A note will be necessary. Does he have a medic alert bracelet? If you normally carry and epi pen, carry 2 or 3. It is very easy to eat seafood here without meaning to or knowing it. Potato chips, rice crackers, snacks...many, many foods that you would never suspect of having seafood in them do, in the form of extract, paste, or flavorings.

Miso soup, udon, soba, ramen...most of the broths are seafood based. Boiled foods are often boiled in a seafood based broth. You will need to avoid dashi (the seafood broth), which will be a challenge eating Japanese food. It is possible for shitake based broth to be used, but it needs to be special ordered, usually at least a day in advance, and is more easily available in the more upscale places.

So, what can you eat...Italian restaurants will have options. Indian places will be easy. Yakiniku might be a good choice...grill your own dinner. Teppanyaki (steak grilled for you) is nice. High end hotel restaurants will be able to accommodate you easily.

I'd pick Gero onsen for an onsen experience over Matsumoto. Gero is a town that is known for it's onsens.
May 17th, 2005, 01:31 PM
Original Poster

Kim, mrwunrlf - ignore last emai...realized matsumoto to kanazawa too difficult. so, will stick with plan of 28/29 in kanazawa (is your offer to assist us with the booking at Tokyu still available? I suspect you are busy working...) and then shira. as you suggested. will try and stay at a minshuku so welcome any suggestion of specific places. Then we will decide if we stay on 31st May in Takayama or head somewhre else for one night before definitely ending up in Kamakura for sure on June 1 for flight on June 2.

Any suggestions for the 31st would be welcome - we are happy to go to takayama but not ever having been to any of these places, just wondering if its better to go a bit from this area and towards the south to possibly see something different.

Must accept we won't see it all!

MANY THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP.
May 17th, 2005, 01:40 PM
Original Poster

Kim - thanks for the reply - my postings don't seem to be posting on time which is why there are duplicates. I will send you an email at the email you listed for Kanazawa.

Cheers,
May 17th, 2005, 06:21 PM

I enjoyed staying at the Koemon minshuku in Shirakawago. The Otani family are great hosts.