Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Japan vs. Vietnam in July/August - Does Humidity Feel Same?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7th, 2019, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been looking at many weather reports for both Japan and Vietnam for July/August. People have told me that the humidity in Vietnam feels very different than it does in Japan? Anyone on here who has been to both and can tell me what you think in terms of the difference. I know that there are different climates in both countries but overall it looks pretty hot/humid in Vietnam. We are thinking of giving up our trip to Vietnam and Japan in favor of only Japan for this reason. I would hate to miss Vietnam if the weather feels somewhat similar though. Thank you.

Last edited by AmyTravel1; Jul 7th, 2019 at 12:18 PM.
Old Jul 7th, 2019, 02:22 PM
Original Poster

Help!
Old Jul 7th, 2019, 07:22 PM

Weather of Vietnam is really difficult to talk and predict because it always changes in each season and each part of Vietnam. For example, May is summer season in the north of Vietnam with high temperature but it is rainy season in Phu Quoc island with rainy and humidity. So, where you want to go to Vietnam?
Old Jul 7th, 2019, 10:42 PM

"the humidity in Vietnam feels very different than it does in Japan” I can’t see how it will be any different. if you have similar temps, relative humidity% etc. it will feel the same.

The Central region of Vietnam, Hue, How An, Phong Nha Khe Be (amazing!) is going to have the best weather at that time of year, - blue skies, hot and sunny. In reality it is the high season in that area. I have also found it ok in the South at that time - Saigon, The Mekong etc.. Last time in the north, in Hanoi, we had a couple of flash floods in August but they didn’t last too long.

Having only visited Japan once and in spring, I haven’t experienced summer there but it seems as though the heat and humidity are much the same as parts of Vietnam.

For me at least, I don’t think the weather is the deciding factor but if it is that important to you, maybe take a look at Central Vietnam and Hokkaido? Another country we really enjoyed in July was Taiwan. July is very hot but not especially humid (Taipei has the most amazing zircon subway system. There are some incredible place to see. we spent a week there in Taipei and Hualien and it wasn’t nearly enough - just a few thoughts..
Old Jul 12th, 2019, 09:13 PM

May is the beginning of the Summer in Vietnam, but certainly not "hot" ! The heat is in July and August, in the 3 regions, especially in the South, where it is in addition the monsoon season = lot of rain ! here you are for Vietnam climate :

Because of differences in latitude and the marked variety of relief, the climate varies considerably from the north to the south.

The North:
- Perfect in October-November and April-June: temperatures between 21 and 28º. The best periods to visit the North, though, in May, you generally encounter frequent shortrainfalls, normally in the evening.
- December to March: rather sunny winter, but cold (12-18º in the delta, 5-12º in the mountains). January and February are not good months because of the cold and frequent thick fog in the mountains (it can go down to 0°C at night in Sapa).
- July to end of September is the “summer” season; 30-40º is the norm ; July is a period of sometimes violent but generally short rains.
Of course, the temperatures are higher and more humid in the delta than in the mountains.

The Center:
February to May is the best period, the worst being between September and October, with heavy rain and some typhoons. It is noticeably cooler in the Highlands (Dalat, Bon Mê Thuôt) than on the coast.
Dalat, at 1500 m altitude, benefits from a very pleasant climate year around, but you need a sweater in the morning and evening in January and February.

The South:
Temperatures in the southern plains (Ho Chi Minh City and the Mekong Delta) vary less over the course of a year.
- Best season from December to April, March and April being the hottest months of that period (35ºCaverage).
- Worst period in July and August, very hot and humid, with nearly daily heavy rain.
Old Jul 13th, 2019, 09:08 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I have only been to Vietnam once for a short visit and to Japan twice so definitely not the expert that many others on Fodors are. But my Vietnamese friends advised me to not (ever) visit in July and especially August . . . So I didn't
Old Jul 19th, 2019, 08:34 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Vietnam was uncomfortable in October too.
Old Jul 19th, 2019, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by HappyTrvlr
Vietnam was uncomfortable in October too.
Such generalisations in a country with as diverse weather patterns as Vietnam are not especially helpful. As much depends on where as when one visits.

Similarly in post #6 July and August are usually pretty good months for central Vietnam

Last edited by crellston; Jul 19th, 2019 at 12:24 PM.
Old Jul 19th, 2019, 08:42 PM

October "uncomforatble" ? It's one of the best time of the year except in the Center !