Japan Spring School Holiday

Dec 14th, 2006, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

Japan Spring School Holiday

Does anybody know exactly when the Japan Spring School Holiday will be this coming March? Do all regions have the same holiday schedule?
Dec 14th, 2006, 01:56 PM

They are roughly the same, with variations of a couple of days or so. Universities are out of session from February sometime until the first week of April. Schools are finished from around March 25, give or take a few days in either direction, and the new school year starts around April 7, give or take a few days in either direction.
Dec 30th, 2006, 05:54 AM

What is the general consensus then, KimJapan, about traveling during that time? Is it that the cities will not be that crowded, but any major resort or 'rest' area (for lack of a better word) will be overwhelmed by crowds (Tokyo Disney, Miyajima, etc.)?

I'm trying to decide whether to go at the end of March, or just wait until the first week of April is about over. I have a set time that I need to be back, though, so it will mean less days overall in Japan if I wait until the end of the first week of April. But if going the week before means battling crowds even beyond what they are normally like in Japan, then I'm not sure I want to do that.

I guess I'm looking for some guidance as far as what people in the know do to avoid the peak times/crowds (such as not traveling by shinkansen the weekends before and after break starts and ends, avoiding X areas that are known to fill to capacity months in advance, etc.).

Thanks so much.
Dec 30th, 2006, 06:12 AM

I think what I meant to say in the above post, but it didn't come out the way I meant it, is that I would very much like to spend the extra days in Japan, but is there a better way to plan the trip so that if I'm there during the last week of break, I can do things to minimize the crowd factor?

Thanks.
Dec 30th, 2006, 04:20 PM

Kids are out of school, but most parents are not off from work. Weekends will be busy at places like Disney, Universal Studios, Kyoto sightseeing spots, shopping...

If you aren't headed for theme parks, then I wouldn't hesitate to travel during late March/early April. We travel at that time every year.
Dec 30th, 2006, 09:45 PM

Thanks for the info, KimJapan. I would like to do Tokyo Sea this time, but I will probably do that the second week of April when it shouldn't be so crowded.

I would also like to try to see Hakone this time, too. I presume it would be better to see that during the week than on a weekend?

Also, if I leave at the end of March, I will be there over two weekends. I know one of the weekends I will be in Tokyo, but as far as the other weekend (April 7/8), would you recommend traveling that weekend or avoiding it and staying somewhere through that weekend?

Thanks again.
Dec 30th, 2006, 10:47 PM

I really don't think it will make that much difference if you travel on the weekends or stay put at that time of year. Go to Disney on a weekday.
Dec 31st, 2006, 06:15 AM
emd

I was at Disney Sea on Thurs. April 13 and Fri. April 14, 2006 (through closing Fri. night) and there were so few people there that we were able to walk right up to every ride and get on with no wait, and got in to all of the shows with no wait the entire time.
Dec 31st, 2006, 10:09 AM

Thanks, KimJapan and emd. I normally wouldn't stress so much about the crowds, but I'm considering taking my 12-year-old daughter with me this time. While she typically is a very good travel partner, we've had some combustible moments in our journeys, so whatever I can do to reduce the outside stresses during the trip will be a good thing for both of us!

emd, thanks a million for your incredibly detailed post of your trip with your daughter last year. It's invaluable, and I will be referring to it more in the coming months if it works out to take my daughter.
Dec 31st, 2006, 10:36 AM
emd

Yes, I know about combustible moments in travel with a 13 yr old girl and how valuable it is to minimize stress in that situation. Disney Sea is a great stress reducer without crowds. Have fun, glad to have been of help.

Just curious- are you going to Kyoto also? Catching a festival or a temple market day can be another good stress reducer, something to focus on and be entertained, and a nice let-up on the intensity of figuring out many travel details w/a teen.
Dec 31st, 2006, 01:14 PM

emd, we would go to Kyoto, but unfortunately, I don't believe we will be able to stay there. The hotels are too expensive right now for any stay beyond a night, between the school break and the potential for cherry blossoms, I guess.

I don't think there are any temple markets during the time we would be there. And I can't find dates for the Hana Toro for 2007. But I will continue to check, because you're right that things like that can break up the intensity a bit.

Hope you have a Happy New Year!
Dec 31st, 2006, 02:44 PM
emd

Check out the dates for Miyako Odori (Spring Dance of the geishas) in Kyoto and the Kitano Odori and other spring Odori. You might be there at that time in April.

This site lists festivals in Kyoto, but it only lists them 1-2 months ahead of time.

http://tinyurl.com/sorto

Dec 31st, 2006, 04:05 PM

Thanks for the link! I will continue to check it over the next couple of months.

Yes, I believe the Miyako Odori is going on at that time, and I would definitely like to see it. I noticed from your trip report that you saw it. Did you buy tickets through your hotel, or some other way?