Japan for a woman alone

Mar 25th, 2014, 01:55 PM
Original Poster

Japan for a woman alone

Hi guys,
After my last plan fell through, I may have an opportunity to visit Japan for 7-10 days either in late April or early-mid June. I'd most likely be going alone, as nobody I know can go at those times. First of all, which would be the better time? Secondly, are there any sorts of organised activities suitable for a lone female traveller? I've taken language classes before in France and Spain and made lots of friends through those - is there something similar in Japan? Or a cooking class? I'll try Couchsurfing events, but any other suggestions appreciated!
Mar 25th, 2014, 05:51 PM

You might try the Goodwill guide system. My Goodwill guide in Kyoto took me to a full moon viewing ceremony I would not have known about otherwise.
Mar 25th, 2014, 06:03 PM
kja

I think late April might be a bit better than early-mid June, because parts of Japan can get very humid starting in May. But of course it depends on where you will go. Here's a great source of information:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2273.html

The Goodwill guides that thursdaysd mentions are a great resource:
https://www.jnto.go.jp/eng/arrange/t...deservice.html

I am a woman who finds traveling solo an incredible self-indulgence -- I am very glad to be able to travel alone! I spent 3 weeks wonderful weeks in Japan. But then I'm a bit of a recluse, so finding people with whom to spend my time is not a priority.

With only 7-10 days, you will need to be very selective. FWIW, you might want to focus on Kyoto, with maybe a few days in Tokyo.

Enjoy!
Mar 26th, 2014, 01:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. Apparently late April/early May is Golden Week and not a good time to go? Is that true?
Mar 29th, 2014, 11:01 AM
Original Poster

Hi everyone,
Looks like my dates are now mid-May to early June. Is that a concern humidity-wise or rain-wise? My main interests are Tokyo and Kyoto. I know I can't realistically see much of the country in the time I have and that's OK - I just want to go and see it. The Goodwill guide system looks great.

My main concern is loneliness - I don't mind going to countries alone, but only if I'm in a situation where I can meet new friends easily. I am intending to stay in a hostel - they look very reasonably priced and many offer private rooms. Has anyone had any experience of this?
Mar 29th, 2014, 11:10 AM
kja

Here's the climate info:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2273.html

With only 7-10 days, focusing on Kyoto and Tokyo makes sense.

I'm a bit of a recluse, so I can't answer your questions about loneliness.

I'm sure you'll have a great trip!
Mar 29th, 2014, 11:31 AM

Like kja I do just fine on my own. I take a book (real or virtual) or my journal to dinner. If there is someone else I'm "with" I find I concentrate on them and not on what I came to see. Try spending some time with yourself, you may find it enlightening.
Mar 29th, 2014, 11:47 AM
Original Poster

I have spent plenty of time with myself. I've lived abroad in 4 countries on my own and travelled around Europe on my own. I just don't really enjoy spending ALL my time alone. I just want enjoy meeting new people, especially local people. I'm really keen on meeting some Japanese people with insider knowledge on the best places to go and also I'd like to visit some bars/karaoke bars and things like that and it wouldn't be much fun alone!
Mar 31st, 2014, 06:16 AM

Would suggest you apply to one of the volunteer guide associations, they are groups of amateur locals (students, house wives/husbands, retirees) who enjoy showing visitors around their city (and practicing their foreign language skills too I think). If you mention the kinds of things you would appreciate company for, you may get different people responding - for example, younger students on bars and older demographic for cultural tours? You usually pay a small fee to cover travel plus the guide's expenses on whatever you do together (travel, food, entrance fees).
Mar 31st, 2014, 08:33 PM

>>Looks like my dates are now mid-May to early June. Is that a concern humidity-wise or rain-wise?

No and no. That is a great time to go.