JAL - any feedback

Sep 7th, 2005, 09:09 AM
Original Poster

JAL - any feedback

We're flying biz class from Chicago to China via Tokyo on JAL. Does anyone have JAL experiences to share? Any recommendations for a really good hotel with easy access to/from Narita? We have 1/2 day in Tokyo in late Nov. Any advice for things to do?
Sep 7th, 2005, 01:22 PM

Have only flown JAL domestically in Japan, and it was fine.

Near Narita, there are lots of hotels, none "really good." The Narita Hilton is quite nice though, and the price is very good, usually under 15,000 yen per night per room with breakfast. It has a nice pool and fitness area and good restaurants in house. Breakfast is very good and included in most rates.
Sep 7th, 2005, 01:24 PM

I meant to add that with half a day, I'd stay right in Narita and go sightseeing right there. There is a nice temple, and Boso no Mura is very interesting. http://www.city.narita.chiba.jp/engl...sightseeguide/ has some very good ideas.
Sep 7th, 2005, 02:23 PM

I flew JAL business class between Tokyo and Bali last May. It was wonderful. The food was very good, the seats quite comfortable, and there was a choice of movies. Both flights were on two-class 747s. The FAs were quick, efficient, and very professional. Almost, but not quite, hovering annoyingly.

The JAL business class beats Thai, ANA, and United.

You could take a look at the seats at japanair.com to see what they have for your trip. I think they have flat seats in business class now, but maybe not ORD-NRT.

FWIW, JAL first class is excellent. The Japanese meal on the JFK-> NRT flight was so good that it really opened my eyes to Japanese cuisine.

JAL domestic coach is fine.
Sep 7th, 2005, 02:26 PM

I've flown JAF business class from Chicago several times and it is excellent. Very few Americans on the flight. And usually full. Service very correct (if not warm like on Thai or Malaysian) and food very good. Overall a very good experience.
Sep 7th, 2005, 04:01 PM

IMHO, JAL offers the best biz class to Asia. Wonderful, highly adjustable, wide seats go all the way flat (nearly 180 Degrees.) Cabin staff is great.

I second the vote for the Narita Hilton.
Sep 7th, 2005, 05:30 PM

I disagree. ANA rules.
Sep 8th, 2005, 12:10 PM

Hi

My wife and I flew JAL in May from Europe to Japan and we were very impressed with their service. I have posted a bit more information in my trip report with pictures on my homepage http://gardkarlsen.com

Regards
Gard
Sep 8th, 2005, 12:33 PM

Try: www.airlinequality.com. There are passenger reviews available if you have not made up your mind.
Sep 8th, 2005, 01:07 PM
cwn

We flew Buss Class 747 JAL to Osaka from Honolulu last April. The service and food were good, but the seats were thr old stlye and uncomfortable. The entertainment was limited and poor. Buss Class Continental Houston to Honolulu was much better. Buss Class Northwest- Portland to Narita and Bangkok-Narita-Potland was the best airline we have ever been on. The seats were great(almost a full recline) as was the food and entertainment.
Sep 8th, 2005, 01:16 PM

The JAL flights from Chicago all have the new lie-flat (almost full recline)seats.
Sep 8th, 2005, 01:55 PM

Honolulu is low-yield "beach market" for Japanese airlines. That's where they put their oldest planes on. Like glorialf says, Chicago should be fine.