Business class flights to Japan

Aug 24th, 2006, 08:32 AM
J62
Original Poster

Business class flights to Japan

I'm looking into JFK (or EWR) to NRT business class options. Options are CO 777, UAL 777, AA 777 or JAL 747.

My impression is that AA 777 Bus class (2-3-2) is dated (I've flown many times) and 777s are not due for upgrade till next year. I hear great things about CO 777s (2-2-2 seating, 2 class plane). UAL flies 2-3-2, 3 class, and same with JAL lower level. JAL upper deck is 2-2 business class.

Something about 747 upper level I always find comfortable, quieter which makes the JAL 747 seem more attractive than the AA or UAL flights.

Does anybody have anything really good to say about AA, UAL, or JAL biz class? For FF miles I'd really like NOT to fly CO, but will consider it if it's so much better than the others.

Aug 24th, 2006, 08:55 AM

The upper deck is nice and quiet.
Aug 24th, 2006, 09:47 AM

UA is switching its JFK flight to IAD.

But ANA flies JFK-NRT with its new 777-300ERs. You can earn miles on UA Mileage Plus.
Aug 24th, 2006, 12:35 PM

It has been two years, but I flew JAL first class between JFK and NRT and JAL business class between NRT and DPS (Bali). All were 747s. The business class was on a two-class plane, so it was up front. Great seat, great food, great service. About good as first class on a Thai flight NRT-BKK (that wasn't the premium first class that they might have on LAX/JFK-BKK). Your experience on the 3-class flight might be different.

Or the "New Style" ANA should be great, too.

I would choose one of those based on FF program considerations.

If UA was still on the route then their 777 business class is pretty good, but even as a UA 1K I would almost certainly go with ANA (still earning 1X EQM but only 1X RDM).

I would consider CO or AA based on price.
Dec 11th, 2006, 07:52 AM
mdn

I've flown JFK - NRT on JAL in Business and First. JAL's Business Class was miserable compared to ANA. Arrangement of seats and spacing make it very difficult to move about in the cabin/leave the seat & get back into it. Service was fine but worse than ANA.
First Class is First Class and there's often a HUGE difference between First & Business on long haul. There you can fly either JAL or ANA, both are very good. If I were you, I'd try for ANA Business class, if you can include it as an option somehow. Best NY - Narita flight, IMO.
As a rule, I avoid American carriers as much as possible on international routes - service never compares (one can get a helpful attendant once in a while), food is usually terrible, charge for drinks in economy, safety concerns...
Dec 11th, 2006, 08:24 AM

mdn:

I hear you and agree! Very well said!
Dec 11th, 2006, 03:20 PM
J62
Original Poster

To report back. In the end my choices were limited to AA and JAL due to company discount arrangments with those airlines. UA and ANA were not an option. I chose JAL based on departure times both ways matched my home and mtg schedules best.

As mdn says, JAL business class was ok (as in better than any coach seat), but not really up to 2006/07 competitive standards.

Space is adequate, but seat comfort was the most lacking. JAL 747 interior shows its age as well. Food was good, service very courteous and attentive.

I would fly JAL again without reserve, but when AA gets around to upgrading the 777s J class I'd choose them over JAL.