Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Coach/Business Class/First Class - What are the differences?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 10:56 AM
sally

Comfort level? Cost? Thanks.

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 11:02 AM
cranky

have you checked with the airlines or did you just come straight here for someone else to do the research for you?<BR>comfort level-first class much better than coach.<BR>cost-first class much more than coach<BR>your welcome.

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 11:34 AM
Sally

Cranky: This may come as a surprise to you, but I was asking for people's opinions, not exact data. As my mother would say, "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything". In other words, butt out with your negative and ugly self.

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 12:06 PM
Just my opinions

First class: business class: coach<BR><BR>Much more comfortable: quite a bit more comfortable: fairly uncomfortable<BR><BR>Much, much more expensive: much more expensive: still too expensive for what you get.<BR><BR>There you go.<BR><BR>And no attitude with it.<BR>

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 12:20 PM
Jayelle

Sally,<BR>I'm assuming that you're talking about international flights here. My experience is that business class is quite a step up from coach in terms of space, comfort, and amenities, particularly food. In business class, you can expect personal video screens, large seats with footrests, an amenities kit, and three-course meals with wine. I personally don't find that big a difference between business and first, although some people do. <BR><BR>However, there is a huge difference in price in going from coach to business or first. If I had to pay for a business or first class ticket myself, I would never do it. I only fly these classes of service using frequent flyer miles or on business when the company is picking up the tab. For example, you can get coach tickets to Europe for a few hundred dollars, but business class would generally run you at least a few thousand dollars. To my mind, its not worth paying that kind of difference for a six- or eight-hour flight. I would only recommend it if you are getting a free ticket or upgrade using FF miles, or if you're independently wealthy.

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 12:57 PM
Kathy

Ditto Jayelle above. Flew in business class our first time over and were very spoiled by the food,amenities, size and recline of seats, and attention from attendants. Paid for with FF miles, though. Second time over, had to go coach (better than not at all!!) and was surprised at the difference in comfort, or lack thereof. Bottom line, wouldn't pay big bucks for upgrades unless there was money to burn, if you have FF, go for it.

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 01:00 PM
Hey hey

She asked "for people's opinions, not exact data."<BR><BR>Too wordy, Jayelle.<BR>

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 01:02 PM
Sally's nurse at the state psychiatric hospital

Sally forgot to take her medications again, and I'm supposed to be supervising her time on the computer. Boy am I in trouble!<BR><BR>Sally left out some important details: she only wants to go from Minneapolis to St. Paul.<BR>

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 01:04 PM
Why Won't the Nasties

I think Hey hey and Crankie are one and the same. GO AWAY

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 01:06 PM
I don't know

But I'm pretty sure not.<BR><BR>Speak up cranky.<BR>

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 01:09 PM
Patrick

Obviously on any airline each class is a step up in quality of service and comfort. But between airlines this may vary. I flew British Airways Business Class once and frankly think that American Airlines coach class is just as comfortable perhaps even more so, and the food was better. The difference between business class on American Airlines and British Airways is like night and day with American way out in front. I was bumped up from business class to first class once on American from Miami to London and to be honest, there wasn't a whole lot of difference between the two -- the difference between coach and business is a lot greater.

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 01:40 PM
Dawn

Sally,<BR><BR>Everyone's comments here are correct. Since we travel a lot, we use miles to upgrade but only internationally. I can tell you only about business class though as I have never flown first class internationally.<BR><BR>The lounges on a connecting flight makes the trip that much more bearable as well. Some airlines have more 'amenities' in business class than others - it depends on the route you are flying. We flew to Singapore on UA and flew upstairs - my favorite business class flight. Really comfortable. I agree with Patrick. BA to London is not a fantastic experience. Even in business class. So use your judgement.<BR><BR>I do want to comment on the paying for a business class ticket though. We did this last year when we flew to Poland on LOT. We received a buy one, get one at 50% off deal. Plus they were running a double miles offer. Yes we paid $3800 up front for the tickets but this also allowed us a stopover in Prague. And to boot, we each received 30K miles which we used on a trip to the BVI in coach for two. <BR><BR>So, at the end of the day, $3800 was a fair price for what we received. Watch for the bargains/sales. Sometime it pays to pay for the ticket. Most of the time, it doesn't though.

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 01:43 PM
Infrequent flier

What is an amenities kit?!?

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 01:54 PM
business class

We flew business class from atlanta to paris on Delta for $1800. per ticket. It certainly was worth it. When we got off the plane, it didn't even seem we were on the plane that long. We flew a 777 and the seats recline almost flat. The airlines have been running sales on these fares.

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 02:01 PM
Rex

An amenities kit can be as little as a little plastic sack, or as much as a nice nylon bag that you could use for other things. Might contain little trinkets such as footie-socks (keep your own socks clean and dry, but still be able to walk to the bathroom with your shoes off), a sleep mask, ear plugs, playing cards, freshen-up stuff, even sometimes a little souvenir with a theme of the airline - - I got a little porcelain Dutch house from KLM, for example).<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 02:03 PM
Anne

I have flown both ways and believe me on a long flight if you can afford it take business class. I am reminded of the Seinfeld episode when Elaine is stuck in coach and Jerry is eating fresh cookies in first class. Elaine tries to sneak up front for a cookie and a decent seat and is pushed out by a stewardess who then draws the curtains. I have to laugh when I am in coach and I see them slamming shut the curtains so us peons don't even get to see into their compartment. Then when I am in business class I am secure in my little curtained off area stretched out, munching with real silverware and drinking imported wine with glass goblets. Seriously, it is the comfort that you are paying for as well as usually better attentive service. You get off the plane feeling alot more refreshed instead of harried. If you can use ff miles for an upgrade all the better.

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 02:15 PM
Jim Rosenberg

I'm sure it varies by airline. On Northwest, I don't believe it is a three-class service internationally anymore -- just coach and World Business Class. The difference between coach and WBC is something on the order of that between night and day. (It is NOT like domestic first class). In WBC, the seats recline to 150 degrees and I'm not certain that I could even stretch far enough to touch the seat in front of me if I wanted to. The service is continuous and outstanding -- meals served in courses, a selection of wine, champagne and spirits; the works. I'm not sure that that this something I would want to become TOO accustomed to, but it certainly is a nice experience. As for price, I would guestimate that it involves a minimum of a $1,500 premium over coach class if you pay. Just the difference in price could get you back and forth to Europe several times in low season in coach. The lowest priced coach tickets are not upgradeable with miles. It's an individual thing as to whether or not it is "worth" it.

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 02:30 PM
carol

On some airlines business and first class are the same thing.<BR><BR>For both you get a bigger seat, boarding privileges, shorter WC lines, and free booze. On North American Domestic, business and first class are just a bit nicer than coach. Internationally, they are a whole world apart and wonderful food, space, service, amenities, etc. In either case, I agree with the above... I would not pay the difference myself. I have only flown first class on upgrades, points, or when I was being courted for a job and someone else was paying!

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 03:42 PM
up

up grade me<BR>

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 04:00 PM
anon

go Sally! we need more people defending themselves from negative twits.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -