AA FF redemtion question

Search

AA FF redemtion question

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24th, 2007, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AA FF redemtion question

I'm 90% sure of the answer to this, but want to make sure.

I have been checking for availability of Business/First Class seats. When it offers flights, it says "Requested cabin is not available on one or more flights" does that just mean that the one of the flights does not have business class, or does it mean that they had no FF business/first class seats and they are putting me in coach?

Keith
Old Aug 24th, 2007, 09:27 AM

Keith:
Requested cabin is not available on one or more flights" does that just mean that the one of the flights does not have business class

YES- For example, if part of your itinerary is on an American Eagle plane (no first class, all coach flight), then that's what they are talking about. If there was no First Class/Business AWARD available, then that award would be grayed out. You can only select the award that has availability.
Old Aug 24th, 2007, 04:56 PM

US based airlines have a strange branding of cabins.

AA 757 flying domestic route will be sold as First and Economy class. The exact same 757 flying a foriegn route will be sold as Business and Economy class. Then there is a third option, AA has a 757 flying to Dublin (I think?) from Boston that's sold as economy class only. The difference is that AAdvantage status holders or full fare economy seat buyers have the option of picking the first class cabin seats although it's still economy service.

So you see how confusing it can get. The above poster is correct. When you see the "requested cabin..." message, it doesn't mean that you can't get a ticket, it just means that you will be upgraded (if you chose business award on an international flight, on the domestic flights), or downgraded (when you chose first class award on routes that only have 2 class service i.e. business, economy). You will still get the highest class possible and the ticket is available, it's just the weirdness of having different names for class service.

When I plan an award ticket I always take first or business class ticket, but I base my decision on the routes and if first award is even worth it. If I will only sit in true international first on 1 or 2 segments out of 5-6 then I take a business award and save some miles.

Old Aug 24th, 2007, 05:20 PM

My last award ticket:

TPA-mia-yyz-lhr-WAW-lhr-MAN-ord-TPA

The only flight that was true international first class was the Toronto-London flight with BA. AA flies a 2 class 767 on the Manchester-Chicago route, so instead of going for first class award I just did a business award ticket. The European airlines business class seats are the same as economy, you just don't have anybody sitting in the middle seat, but you get better drink and food choice. Still a business class award saved me quite a few miles and I was very comfortable on all flights.