Israeli couple fined in Pushkar!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20th, 2005, 09:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

An Israeli couple who got married in one of the temples at Pushkar was hauled over to a local court by the priests for ‘indecent public behaviour.’ The immediate provocation was a passionate kiss after their wedding! The magistrate let them off by imposing a small fine.
Hi wonderlust…beware…you are heading straight for Pushkar!!
Old Sep 21st, 2005, 04:33 AM

I think the real lesson here is to respect the local culture and religious beliefs!! That should be Rule #1 for all tourists.
Old Sep 21st, 2005, 04:41 AM

I'll be in Pushkar in about six weeks.I'll try to restrain myself!
Old Sep 21st, 2005, 05:47 AM

The question is did they violate a local custom OR were they victims of a corrupt official with his hand out? I have been in Pushkar and found some of the so-called "holy men" to be nothing more than con men trying to make quick rupee. We entered a temple there, were greeted by a so-called religious student who offered us a free tour then cursed us at the end of it when he thought the tip I wanted to give him was not enough! If he was a religoius student then I'm the pope! Actually I have a very poor impression of Pushkar as there was another instance where another "holy man" tried to fleece us just to take a picture of the lake. Later that day as I took my wallet out to pay for something I sensed a man walking at me in earnest. I looked up in time to see his eyes glued on my wallet, he then looked at my eyes as I gripped my wallet tightly and he veered away. Yes one does have to be aware of local customs or norms but as this happened in Pushkar then there reason to believe there is more to the story than violation of local norms. JM2C.
Old Sep 21st, 2005, 06:35 AM

Actually, this doesn't sound like a scam. More like a legitimate reaction to the violation of local norms.

See the story at: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9424553/
Old Sep 21st, 2005, 07:59 AM

Actually that is the same temple in which the "religious student" tried to fleece us. I googled this story and found other aspects to it, i.e. the report of this couple kissing while semi-nude in a bathing ghat. It was also reported that the charges were filed after the couple refused to apologize for this act and that some of the local priests want to banish all Israeli tourists. This also comes on the heels of a report of other Israeli tourists dancing at least partially unclothed in Ajmer. It does seem that cultural norms have been violated and that there is a backlash to a specific group, i.e. the Israelis. The question I have is was a law broken? My wife is Indian and is in fact from Ajmer and we have been there 5 times in our 26+ yrs. of marriage and I know India is conservtive (though now in the big cities at least that is changing big time. Just check out some Indian TV shows, the one ala MTV. Nothing conservative there) but is there a stated law forbidding public kissing? I don't know and I have never heard of that. If a law was violated then they have a technical case but if not then was this opportunistic? I do know a "holy man" in Pushkar tried to get money from me for taking a picture of the lake w/o his permission. Of course he demanded money not before I focused and clicked but waited until I had finished. Twice in the day I visited there I was basically assaulted for the almighty dollar by so-called "holy men." Based on that I have my doubts. Were norms violated? Yes. But whats the motive for the fine? From my 5 trips to India and from hearing viscerally felt stories of corruption from my many Indian friends relaying first hand experiences and from seeing money exchanged in airports, from seeing highway officials shaking down cabbies, and from seeing first hand how customs officers act like little tyrants my view is different. I could go on but I think this gets the point across. No offense intended, just stating it as I have seen it.
Old Sep 21st, 2005, 08:16 AM

Jacketwatch, seems like you have a great story about this. I wish some network or news organization would follow up on it.

The only question I would have is what is exactly is the cultural norm about kissing or showing this type of affection in Hindutemples?
Old Sep 21st, 2005, 08:49 AM

I think for locals it is verboten. You don't see much of that in India anywhere, let alone a temple. However this involves foreigners and is there any latitude given to them? As for the rest of it to me there are more questions than answers:
As other foreign couples have married there has this never occured before?
Have they been told ahead of time that such displays are frowned upon and fines would be levied if they did do so?
Is there a charge for this service?
If you are not Hindu then why the Hindu ceremony? I really don't get that. I know of no other religion that will marry a couple who are not members of that faith.
Old Sep 21st, 2005, 10:26 AM

Here's an interesting article about this. It seems there is what is described as an archaic law that codifies kissing in public as obscene that was evoked.
http://in.news.yahoo.com/050910/48/6038l.html. Seems ludicrous to me.
Old Sep 21st, 2005, 03:29 PM

You're right. What this looks like is "selective enforcment" and it is really is horrible and blatently racist. And what kind of "priest" allows just anybody to get married in their temple? I got to believe there is money at the root of all of this - not religion. I've never been there but, Pushkar sounds like a real tourist trap.
Old Sep 21st, 2005, 10:11 PM
Original Poster

The whisky preist...ha.ha!!!
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 05:23 AM

I agree that it does seem selective and also agree about Pushkar becoming a tourist trap. All in all its too bad because it could be a better destination. This news cannot help Pushkar as well inre to its desirability as a tourist destination.
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 12:47 AM

Make love,not war !