Brewery Tour-Told to leave

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We were told by friends that taking a tour of a famous brewery was a fun way to spend an afternoon. So, we took the plunge, and made the roady to St. Louis. We had other things on the agenda too, but the tour was at the top of my list. After all, my buddy back home told me that we get free samples along the way. Well, let me tell you, this free sample business is nonsense.

I asked our guide at the beginning of the tour where the samples were. She completely ignored me. About 10 minutes into the tour, during the barley display I think, I asked again. No reply. After about 20 minutes, I slipped away from the group to find the sample room. Well, needless to say, I did not find it, but I did end up on the production floor, mingling with the workers.

After about a half hour, some security guy grabs me by the collar and whisks me away to a little room with no windows where they questioned me about what I thought I was doing. I told them that I was looking for the sample room, which drew silence and blank stares.

Anyway, I guess my point it that there is truly no such thing as a free lunch (or in my case, free beer).

Take Care,

Pappy
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 08:22 AM

Pappy - was it a surprise to you that you were whisked away by security?? You realize of course that any production plant that you wander into is a private area for employees only. Not only would you be a distraction, but possibly a liability. They are not insured to have "visitors" in the production area and if an accident were to occur would you take responsibility for it and not sue them out of the kindness of your heart?
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 08:35 AM

i think i saw this on an episode of the simpsons once... or was it cheers, where norm managed to get himself a job as an official beer taster?
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 09:35 AM

I tend to agree with Bradk. In this day of terrorist alerts it is a wonder that is all that happened. This could be a learning experience.. Stay with the group along with don't pet the alligators.
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 09:41 AM

Is this for real?! The Anheuser-Busch plant tour, like ALL tours of food and beverage production facilities, puts its tasting areas at the END of the tour, for any number of reasons (safety, sanitation, etc.). Anyone would know that ahead of time.

Security was doing its job properly in whisking you off the floor. I'm surprised they didn't shut production down to ensure that product wasn't tainted.

Still, this smells like a troll post to me, I'm not sure why....
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 10:24 AM

Definitely a troll. We've grown complacent....
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 10:28 AM

I gotta remember this tip when I demand free samples when I tour the Bureau of Engraving and Printing in a couple of weeks
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 10:32 AM
kkj

Well, I guess it's official -- school's out.
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 10:40 AM

I also smell a troll.

But at least "pappy" made it travel related, not "loosely" travel-related like the "name my baby", "name our puppy" and now a thread that's reads more like foodchannel

Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 10:44 AM

naming babies is a tricky matter.. if the baby is unborn and it's the mother asking, she's still carrying the baby, which technically is a form of travel, so that's allowable.

if the baby is already born, then traveling is not directly involved, unless the OP happens to be a kangaroo.
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 10:47 AM

Absolutely rb_traveler! Those were my thoughts exactly! I'm kind of surprised it hasn't been pulled.
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 11:05 AM

When I went on the Coor's tour many years ago, I found it interesting how beer was made. I had a better appreciation for the samples at the end.

The last time I went on a factory tour, there was no way we could enter the production floor.

I hope you, Norm, Homer, Barney and the rest of the gang have learned you lesson to stick with the group.
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 11:30 AM
GoTravel

OMG Pappy! I had the same thing happen to me.

My friends, next door neighbors, cousin's, husband's, sister's co-worker said her friend opened up a can of beer and it had a finger in the can!!!

Well, you can be sure that when I went on my tour of the brewery, I purposely snuck away from the group so I could check up on production.

You never know what kind of things are put in beers.

So anywho, I find myself on the production floor trying to see if any of the workers were missing fingers and sure enough, they are wearing gloves.

Before I could find anything out, I was wisked out by the beer police and banned for life from the XYZ brewery.

You'da thunk I was from 60 Minutes or something.

Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 12:15 PM

TO quote Homer S... "Mmmm Beeeeer"