Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Mom going on China tour for 80th Bday-Suggestions for Presents?

Oct 1st, 2005, 03:03 AM
Original Poster

My mother avoided our surprise 80th birthday party by booking a trip to China for herself and my father. Any suggestions for gifts for her that might enhance her experience?
Oct 1st, 2005, 05:30 AM

A few that comes across my mind:

- Upgrade their plane tickets to business class if they're flying coach.

- A small digital camera.

- New lightweight luggage.

- Good walking shoes.
Oct 1st, 2005, 01:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks rkkwan. I wish I could upgrade their tickets but my dad used his Amex points for a 24 hour coach ticket from NYC to Hong Kong. I will look into the other suggestions.
Oct 1st, 2005, 02:24 PM

Can you add on or change a night in a hotel to be a lux one for them? Are they stopping over in HK perhaps you could upgrade things there or somehow arrange a birthday night out for them? A friend of mine got to a hotel on her birthday once and found her parents had called ahead and givent he hotel their credit card number to pay for the room and left instructions for her to have dinner on them with the card also. It was an unexpected surprise and she was so touched that they had gone to the effort to do that.
J
Oct 3rd, 2005, 02:19 AM

Are they on a tour or on their own? If on their own, I would suggest:

1. Arranging transfers from the airport to their hotels in all their arrival cities, most especially for Hong Kong after that awful 24 hours in coach. You can arrange this through each hotel they will be staying at. In Hong Kong, you can get links to limo services at http://www.hongkongairport.com/eng/a...limousine.html
This is especially helpful in places like Beijing where the arrivals hall is a bit of a zoo, or in smaller cities where the level of English of taxi drivers may not be great.

2. Arranging for guides and/or cars and drivers for the day in certain cities. Again, this can be arranged through the hotel they are staying at, or search for reccos on this site, or post a question. A tour guide to the Forbidden City is very useful, having a car and driver to go to the Great Wall is a nice convenience.

3. Tickets to an acrobatic performance or Chinese opera, esp in Beijing. These can be arranged through their hotel. In Hong Kong, you could purchase tickets to a performance at the Hong Kong Culture Centre or other venues which they could collect on the day of the performance, go to www.urbtix.gov.hk.

I would say generally that I would only arrange these through hotels which are major chains and would pay by credit card in the event the services are not rendered so you can battle with the credit card company as necessary. I would not pre-pay for any services by bank wire transfer or any other method in China. If they are not staying in major US chain hotels, I would hesitate to even use the credit card to be perfectly frank; the level of security is not quite the same here (I live in Hong Kong). I would say that for the limo services in Hong Kong would be OK to pay by credit card to them.

I like the above idea about giving them a night at a hotel or meals.

Have they been to China before? What time of year are they going? What cities are they going to?
Oct 3rd, 2005, 07:35 PM

Hi AGM, I love your recipies from Gails! I am going on a tour to China next Sunday. 18 days and I am very excited. How about a Visa or AmX gift card for them so they can treat themselves anyway they like on their trip?
Oct 4th, 2005, 02:46 AM

The more I think about this, the more I believe that the best present you could give them is to have one member of your family go with them on this trip. . . my parents are in their late 70s and in very good health but I would not let them go on a trip to China by themselves at this point, even on a tour. Too many things can happen to someone at their age and the PRC is a long way away (and I live in Hong Kong) and has somewhat inadequate facilities in terms of infrastructure and medical care. Not to be a worry wart, and your parents obviously feel that they can do this, but China is not an easy place to travel. The pollution levels alone can be exhuasting to someone of any age. Also note that Hong Kong is extremely hot and humid for 9 months out of the year, so unless they are planning the trip between now and about mid-March, they need to take things quite slowly.