Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

purchasing Chinese airline tix in Hong Kong

Apr 11th, 2004, 10:15 PM
Original Poster

Peter H--you always talk about price of airline tix being cheaper when purchased in China. What about in Hong Kong?

I am arriving in Beijing from Hong Kong at 10 pm---and need to fly to Xian the next morning at 8:30 am. I don't think I have time to purchase tix then--but I will have some time in Hong Kong.

Apr 12th, 2004, 05:56 AM

I must admit I don't understand what you are saying in your posting about whether you have time in HK or not, but there's an extended account of purchasing mainland travel in HK here:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...7&tid=34474440

Peter N-H
http://members.axion.net/~pnh/China.html
Apr 12th, 2004, 09:44 AM

Peter:

Harman is saying that he:
- will NOT have time in Beijing because he arrives in Beijinng at 10 pm and has to leave for Xian the next morning, but

- WILL have time in Hong Kong; so he wonders if the cheap price that you mentioned about buying the tickets in China, whether is true also if he buys them in Hong Kong
Apr 12th, 2004, 08:10 PM
Original Poster

johnmango...thank you for clarifying my question. That was precisely my question.

Can you purchase Chinese airline tix at China price (meaning cheaper than US) in Hong Kong?
Apr 13th, 2004, 06:56 PM

Yes. You can buy China domestic tickets in Hong Kong, usually through China Travel Service Agent. Although I don't know the price in US, I pretty sure it will be cheaper to buy in Hong Kong. But it should be a (reasonable) mark-up on the China price. Given your itinerary, I suggest you to buy in Hong Kong, rather than in Beijing.
Apr 13th, 2004, 09:06 PM

Prices for mainland domestic travel purchased in Hong Kong can be as high for the incautious as those purchased overseas. Again, here is the posting that sets it out with worked examples, using precisely the agent mentioned above, explaining the drawbacks and possibilities, and comparing with shopping at the point of departure, which in most cases in the mainland is the best choice.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...7&tid=34474440

Peter N-H
Apr 13th, 2004, 11:13 PM
Original Poster

Peter
I'm trying to follow your writing at the web page you mentioned, but it loses me.

My question is much more simplistic.

I'd love to purchase my tix as I go.

However, I don't have enough time in Beijing (or do I? how late do they keep the ticket counters open in Beijing? I get there after 10 pm and want to catch the 8:30 am flight the next morning).

Because I have lots of time at the AIRPORT in Hong Kong (not out on town), I wondered if purchasing at the airline counter in Hong Kong might be a good idea. I don't have your experience--and I do not want to panic in Beijing.

If the airline tix purchased at Hong Kong airline is comparable in price to what I buy over the web (in US), I might as well purchase the tix before I leave---so I can relax during my trip.
Apr 15th, 2004, 06:36 AM

I'm hoping Peter will be able to answer this for us.....given that there are agents (like CTS) who have offices at HKG airport and assuming the OP doesn't have time to go into town, is he better off to buy the ticket from an agent like CTS at HKG Airport then directly from the airline?

I know that in general you're better off buying from an agent (vs the airline), however does this still hold true at the Airport itself or do they have some sort of pricing agreement that would prohibit the agent from discounting an air ticket if bought from the agent at the airport itself.

I realize that the prices of tickets from agents in general are driven in large part by how good a negotiator you are, but does the "tickets are cheaper from an agent" still apply if you are buying from an agent at the airport?

Apr 15th, 2004, 07:50 AM

The answer is to get a price from the airline and then proceed to CTS to see what you can do, if that is an air ticket selling branch. But the airport is the last place to expect to find an agent with good prices--the only people who shop there are those who need to go straight away.

As regards the Beijing to Xi'an flight, if that particular flight *must* be taken and no other, then leaving it until the day before to buy is risky. But a better price for Beijing to Xi'an would be obtainable in Beijing than in Hong Kong, even buying from the airline directly.

As has been set out in the other post, buying tickets between mainland destinations is best done at the mainland point of departure and not in Hong Kong, unless time constraints forbid. Even if you must shop in mainland place A for a flight from mainland B to mainland C, that is better than shopping in Hong Kong for the same flight.

Peter N-H