Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Is Vietnam beaches like Thailand beaches?

Jul 5th, 2005, 05:03 PM
Original Poster

We went a couple of years ago to Thailand and Koh Phi Phi Island where we thought it was the most beautiful place in the world. I am wondering, if Vietnam has similar types of places to go? Our trip would not be all about the beaches, but I do love gorgeous water, some snorkeling and scuba as well. I have been searching the web for good pictures but havent seen a lot of the beaches or what it looks like.
Jul 5th, 2005, 05:48 PM

The beaches really don't compare. Vietnam is a fabulous place and there are some pleasant places on the water but I wouldn't go there if your main goal is a fabulous beach.
Jul 5th, 2005, 05:59 PM

No Vietnam's beaches do not compare favourably with Thailand's. The two we liked in Vietnam on the mainland were Cua Dai, near Hoi An & Lang Co between Hue & Hoi An. Beach lovers would probably head for Phu Quoc Island in the Gulf of Thailand for Vietnam's top beaches. You fly out from Saigon. I've not visited but heard from others the beaches are beautiful, especially Long Beach.
Aug 6th, 2005, 04:36 PM

Lyndie,
Did you fly directly to Koh Phi Phi Island from Saigon or did you have to fly into Bangkok and then connect from there?
Thanks, Butch
Aug 6th, 2005, 04:58 PM

Butch, I was there last year and I think the only way to get to Koh Phi Phi is by boat from either Phuket or the Krabi area. I could be wrong.
Aug 6th, 2005, 05:42 PM

you might find a direct flight from some spot to phuket otherwise you should fly to bangkok and then directly to krabi using thai or bangkok air...
Aug 11th, 2005, 04:46 PM

You can only get to the Phi Phi islands by boat. I was there five years ago and stayed at Phi Phi Island Village. It was the most beautiful place I have ever been.
Aug 11th, 2005, 11:22 PM

There are no direct flights from Vietnam to any of the Thai islands, all flights from Ho Chi Min City, hanoi and DaNang go to Bangkok only.