Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Is there a shop near Holiday Inn Phi Phi?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30th, 2009, 03:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are off to Phi Phi Island in June and have read about the Gypsy Village there that serves great food but does anyone know if they have a shop where we can buy cool drinks, beer, fruit etc? We would rather support the village than pay high prices in the resort.

Many thanks.
Old May 1st, 2009, 04:57 PM
Original Poster

Anyone?
Old May 1st, 2009, 05:38 PM

Leigh Travel Club would know, as I think the hotel has officially named one of the rooms after him (he's been there that much!) Actually, I think he's either there now or about to be there shortly...but none of us have heard from him.

Leigh, hopefully you're out there somewhere and okay.

AFAIK, they don't have the Gypsy Village has a "shop" as such, but then again, I've only been to Phi Phi Island Village, a short way down the beach more. There's a few small mom and pop restaurants lining the walk between Laem Tong (where your hotel is) and Lo Bakao (where PPIV is)...everything is MUCH cheaper there (and tastier, in my opinion.)

Sorry I can't be of more help.
Old May 2nd, 2009, 01:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info,filmwill. I thought Leigh Travel Club would the person to know, I have tried his website too but can't see anything there.

Good to know that there are some other restaurants to try, we prefer to eat out of hotels and resorts not just to stretch the budget but to get yummier food.
Old May 2nd, 2009, 12:22 PM

Hi Maudie,

Yes, there are a couple of 'shops' at the gypsy village where you can buy soft drinks, beer, water, pringles etc.

We have only just returned home so my response is short......more to follow...probably tomorrow.

Filmwill.......we're OK and sadly.....back here in (or at least near) London.
I did think of you as I was standing right at the front of our speedboat....arms aloft.....and demanding a faster transfer. You kind of sowed that seed.....didn't you?
Phi Phi.......still a wonderful little piece of paradise !!

Can't wait to go back !!!
Old May 2nd, 2009, 04:23 PM
Original Poster

Hi Leigh,

Great news, I knew you would be the man with the answer. Looking forward to hearing more about your holiday.

I immediately thought of Rose from Titanic standing with arms aloft, what a sight that would have been.

And we can't wait to go!!
Old May 13th, 2009, 03:53 PM
Original Poster

Leigh, anything more to add? Would love to hear about some nice day trips or anything else that will make our stay on Phi Phi even more enjoyable?
Old May 13th, 2009, 07:27 PM

Maudie,
The best advice that we got was to avoid the larger group tours to Phi-Phi Ley (The Beach) and charter our own long tail boat for the trip. We paid a guy 1500 baht for just over 3 hours and we managed to get away nice and early and got to experience this stunning location when there was only 2 other boats there, it was a magical experience. He will then take you anywhere else you want to go in your alloted time frame, we went to a little quiet cove for some really good snorkeling and then to monkey beach. It was cheaper for us (family of 4)to do this than go on a larger boat and it was a far more flexible way of doing things.
It is not a problem to organise this, there are lots of freelance boat owners around Tonsai and you just need to pick one that you like the look of and arrange a price. We probably could have got one a little cheaper but we were very happy with the service we received. I'm almost certain that there will be plenty of boatman around the Holiday Inn as well, but I'm sure that Leigh will clarify.

Another amazing experience was swimming with black-tip reef sharks (harmless but still got the pulse racing). We opted on the group trip this time as I went with the safety in numbers theory and it worked out. Otherwise, if you get yorself to Long Beach, you can just wade out and join in.
Old May 14th, 2009, 03:59 PM
Original Poster

Shanek, thanks so much for your reply. There will be four of us so hiring a boat will work for us as well. We much prefer that than joining in a tour. Good idea to get up early and see The Beach before the mob gets there. Love the sound of swimming with the sharks (harmless!!!!!). We have booked a kayaking trip with John Grey on our last day when we return to Phuket, really looking forward to that.

Thanks again.
Old May 14th, 2009, 04:06 PM

The Kayaking trip is "fantastic". I did it with a local company rather than John Grey, but some friends of mine did the John Grey "hongs by starlight",apparently they are the only ones that do an afternoon trip that misses most of the crowds but tide conditions will determine if they offer it on the day you are going.
Old May 14th, 2009, 11:23 PM
Original Poster

Yes that's the one we have booked! Oh no don't day that, we only have one day before we fly home. We dodn't want to spend any more time than we have to at Patong.
Old May 14th, 2009, 11:24 PM
Original Poster

Oops, make that "don't"
Old May 15th, 2009, 12:57 AM

Hi Maudie,

Glad to hear you are going back this year. We'll be in Phuket (but not at Patong) much about that time too and then heading further up and into Lao.

We did the John Grey evening cruise our last time in Phuket a couple of years ago. It was good. They say they go every day regardless so you should be okay. If the weather is a bit rough it can get a bit cold and wet on the trip back so take a jumper to break the wind just in case. Largely the area is protected from strong wind and waves so nothing very bad. A number of other tours are following in John Greys wake and so there are now more people around at the hongs but they do watch out and change about a bit to avoid them. They have some stories about other tours that have got into trouble by following them into hongs when the tide is wrong!

Have a few gins on the balcony as we will be doing too!
Old May 15th, 2009, 05:23 PM
Original Poster

Hi Mary, nice to hear from you. Where on Phuket are you staying?

I thought they went everyday "regardless" so we shall just keep our fingers crossed for good weather but we will have a great day either way. Thanks for the suggestion of taking a jumper. Seeing as we will be leaving Perth late at night we will have one anyway, we are flying through Singapore.

Yeah well I guess it had to come that more tour operators will try and cash in on something so good. And as for the gins, we will certainly be doing that too! Let's hope they don't run out of Bombay Sapphire at the duty free.
Old May 15th, 2009, 06:00 PM

We are going to try Karon beach - at the Pacific Club - just looking for somewhere to veg out before heading back up to Lao. Leave Perth 20/6 with Thai so go direct then leave Phuket 1/7. Do leave some of that Sapphire for us if you go first! They have good balconies at the Pacific!!!
Old May 15th, 2009, 08:27 PM
Original Poster

We looked at Karon but just couldn't decide so settled with Phi Phi for the same reason - we just want to veg out this time around. You leave a week before us so if there is no Sapphire left at Perth we will have to get it at Singapore!!! I will check those balconies out. Then of course there is that cocktail list to go through..........

Have a great holiday Mary, take care and I will look forward to your trip report.
Old May 15th, 2009, 09:24 PM

Promise I'll leave enough for you. Have a great and relaxing time - looking forward to hearing from you about Phi Phi too.