Notices

Krabi or Phi Phi ?

Old May 8th, 2006, 07:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Krabi or Phi Phi ?

HI, My husband and I are planning our 2nd trip to Thailand Jan 07. We are going to first do a 3-4 day trip to Siem Reap, and the last week on a Star Clipper cruise doing the northern Thai islands for lots of sailing/snorkeling/diving. So we have 3-4 days that we are thinking of doing either Krabi or Phi Phi as land based to see more of the flaura/fauna. Suggestions ??
Old May 8th, 2006, 09:17 PM

Hmmm, it's a tough call, I just spent a few nights in each area. I don't know about your budget, but the Central Krabi Bay Resort was unreal. If I only had 3 or 4 nights, I would base myself there and take a day trip to Phi Phi if you can drag yourself away from the bliss of the CKBR.
Old May 9th, 2006, 08:46 AM

Krabi, without any doubt!! We visited both places at Easter. We had booked to visit Phi Phi Island Village for 4 nights, but changed for Krabi after 1 night there - felt like a captive audience!!! Krabi is beautiful - great food, wonderful islands to visit etc...... If you need any more advice - feel free to ask.
Old May 9th, 2006, 10:51 AM
Original Poster

Our budget is pretty good, we are mid-40's professionals, so we need nice accommodations (good A/C, space, location). We are willing to pay for ambience, probably avg of $200 per day inc. B&B. Zeavola Resort on Phi Phi is too highend for us though. The Holiday Inn concerns me because it is a HH, which frankly I would never stay in one in the US. I am a landscape architect so good flora/fauna is important. Since we are going on the Star Clipper (basically a mega-sailing yacht) we will be all over the Andamen Sea. ????
Old May 9th, 2006, 05:16 PM

I also just spent a few days at Zeavola. You can get really good prices through their web site, ignore the rack rates listed on their page, they don't really charge that much. Also, if you join the Club of the Small Luxury Hotels of the world and book through them (same good prices) you will get a free upgrade if available. We paid for a garden room and were upgraded to beachfront. That being said, if I had to pick between Zeavola and CKBR, I would probably go with the CKBR due to being less isolated than Zeavola. Both are wonderful resorts. I didn't visit the Holiday Inn, but it was on the same beach as Zeavola, so again, I'd probably pick the CKBR over the Holiday Inn.
Old May 9th, 2006, 07:28 PM
Original Poster

LA - Did you do a trip report ? I thought I saw one, but now can't find it. Also, where did you do your booking of CKBR ?