is bali safe?

May 19th, 2003, 08:23 AM
Original Poster

is bali safe?

Hi everyone. I could use some help and/or advice on Americans travelling to Southern Bali. Is it safe? I have seen conflicting reports. Has anyone from the states been there recently and how did you perceive it to be? THANKS for your help!
May 19th, 2003, 12:26 PM

It seems that once a week, someone posts a question about safety in Bali. We are going next month after reserving last September, prior to the October 12th Bali bombing, SARS, the war in Iraq and the bankruptcy of our airline, United. I believe someone from the States posted recently, if not on this site then on www.balitravelforum.com. She went with her daughter and had a great time. Tourism is way down and thus there are not many Westerners to terrorize any more. Bali is part of Indonesia, a very troubled Muslim country at the moment. Bali itself is Hindu and was perceived to be safe prior to the bombing. I think that by taking the normal precautions you will "feel" safe in Bali. However, there are no guarantees--these are unique times.
May 19th, 2003, 03:17 PM

There is no GUARANTEE of safety anywhere anymore. You have to decide where to travel, based on doing your own homework and deciding your own comfort zone.
I live in Singapore, so I am reasonably close to the situation. I have many friends here who have traveled to Bali in the last few months. All of them have had a wonderful time at greatly reduced prices. The only reason I have I have not joined them is being too busy. If someone were to hand me plane tickets to Bali today, I would be on the next flight over. It's a beautiful, spiritual place that should not be missed.
May 19th, 2003, 08:34 PM

I second what the other posters have said - you just have to decide what your personal level of comfort is.

If you read the travel warnings (http://travel.state.gov), they're pretty strongly worded NOT to go. According to the U.S. government, no, it's not safe.

On the other hand, as the above posters said, you can't be guaranteed of safety anywhere, and we personally believed that the risk of another bombing or attack while WE were there was pretty slim. Somewhat like the opposite of our chances of winning the lottery.

We were just there in late April/early May and noticed that the people were exceptionally friendly, and that in some places, there are more guards trying to prevent another attack from happening.

Best of luck!
May 20th, 2003, 04:14 AM
sandi

Special Deals to Bali -
Received post from following site re special deals flying Singapore Air from anywhere in the US to Bali as low as $599 incl. hotels.

www.msnbc.com/news/913707.asp?0nl=T11

must be booked by 5/31 to travel by 6/20. If after the 5/31 date you can book by 6/30 for flying later on at $699. Pull it off the web and see if it works for you.
Some of this is being run thru Singapore Air and an Asian Tour operator, and no doubt other agents will be on the bandwagon soon.
In fear stops us what do we say to those lost in NY, Washington, London, Ireland, SaudiArabia, Israel, Morocco, Chile and too many other places in the world that the terrorists have no regard for. We have to keep going, wherever in the world.
Check out the site.

May 20th, 2003, 08:32 AM

Lindsey,

Do you really think that Bhutan has become unsafe? What about Greenland and the Falkland Isles too?
May 20th, 2003, 09:19 AM

I think it's a tough call since there was a bombing in Bali recently. But wait, wasn't there a terrorist attack somewhere in the US a couple of years ago? I say go to Bali and have a......blast?
May 20th, 2003, 02:21 PM

Go, enjoy, have a good time.
May 20th, 2003, 03:47 PM

Punani,
That's a fairly silly and irrelevant question. You could name remote locations all day and debate their level of safety.
I stated that there are no GUARANTEES of safety anywhere. Everything is relative. Some places have a higher level of risk than others and each traveler has to decide for him or herself if that level of risk is acceptable. If you feel safer traveling in remote locations (like Greenland) have a great time and tell us all about it!