Indonesian Visa Reminder

Feb 8th, 2004, 09:17 PM
Original Poster

Indonesian Visa Reminder

Just in case anyone has missed this most people (including US/CD/UK/ANZ/Euro ) now you have to pay for Visa on arrival in Indonesia, I 'think' it's $20. This is not my area of expertise but I've seen it in the press, so if you are heading for Bali/JKT you need to check this out. They are issued on arrival but you have to queue at a counter to get it 'before' heading to the Immigration lines.
Feb 9th, 2004, 05:57 AM

As an addition...

ALWAYS check before you go, as you can't get them everywhere on arrival. In Lombok for example, they will not be available on arrival & some people in Singapore have been refused access to the flight as they didn't have a valid visa.
Feb 9th, 2004, 07:02 AM

The change in visa regulations in Indonesia became effective on Feb. The Indonesian consulate websites have still not been updated, so it's hard to get accurate information. Citizens of the countries listed by James need a visa. You can get a visa on arrival at Jakarta or Denpasar (Bali), but as noted, Matram (Lombok) does not have a visa on arrival facility, so you must have one in advance if you are taking the Silk Air Flight from Singapore to Lombok.

The cost is $25 for a 30 day visa. In the past, citizens of those countries were allowed to stay 90 days. Now the 30 day visa is non-extendable. If you want to stay longer than 30 days, you'll need to arrange a visa in advance.
Feb 9th, 2004, 06:48 PM

The new policy that began February 1 is basically as follows:

Passport holders of the following countries receive free visas on arrival: Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, Brunei Darussalam,
Philippines, Hong Kong SAR, Macau SAR, Chile, Morocco, Peru and Vietnam.
They receive a 30 day tourist visa on arrival.

The citizens of 21 countries and territories eligible to purchase visas on
arrival are: the United States, Australia, South Africa, Argentina, Brazil,
Denmark, United Arab Emirates, Finland, Hungary, United Kingdom, Italy,
Japan, Germany, Canada, South Korea, Norway, France, Poland, Switzerland,
New Zealand, and Taiwan.

Cost is US $25 for a 30-day visa and $10 for a 3 day visa. Reports are that the service is fairly quick and efficient.

The sea and airports that offer this facility is also limited, so please double check before you make your plans.

Otherwise, everything is as normal in Bali.

Feb 9th, 2004, 06:51 PM

Sorry, I forgot to add, citizens of all other countries should apply at the Indonesian embassy in their respective countries BEFORE they fly to Indonesia. The tourists who were denied entry were on the list of countries who needed to obtain visas prior to arrival (Spain for example)
Feb 9th, 2004, 07:36 PM
Original Poster

Belgian also ?
Feb 10th, 2004, 01:13 AM

The problem is that not every point of entry is equipped to issue the visas on arrival, as has been noted here.
Kids from the Singapore American School were supposed to go to Bintan, an Indonesian island a short ferry ride from here, for a one night cultural exchange with a school there. They were told that because they could not get visas on arrival that they should get them in advance, at the Indonesian embassy here at a cost of SG$70!! That's about US$42 for a school trip that lasts less than 24 hours. The school is still trying to get it worked out somehow.
Bottom line is....check in advance for your point of entry!
Feb 10th, 2004, 01:52 AM
Original Poster

I hadn't though of the Bintan 'scenario' Lindsey, I guess they are going to hurt as it's very much a day trip or an overnight trip so although $20 for a holiday might be ok for a short trip....
So if you are going somewhere that doesn't have the Visa on arrival you have to get a full visa in advance at SG$70.

I appreciate that there are 2 sides to this, I know the 'still' tiresome and expensive cost every time I have to get a Visa for my Thai wife to Australia or Europe, and the kids, so I suppose they get pretty 'miffed'(?sp) at the charges imposed on 'their' citizens. When my brother in-law and his family from Chiang Mai were coming with us to QLD for a holiday the air fares to/from bangkok but Visa costs ended up something ridiculous like US$600!! We have 'no problems' with Switzerland/Sweden/Denmark/Finland/Greece/Portugal in the past (that all all pre EU Schening...whatever). But UK and ANZ were tiresome to the extreme of not bothering anymore.
Oh well....
Feb 10th, 2004, 08:46 AM

according to the indonesian embassy in washington, dc (web-site), the fee is $35....i have just called them and they don't answer...maybe they close for lunch....i will try again and report back...
Feb 10th, 2004, 02:05 PM

James, you are right, there are a lot of expats and Singaporeans (but I guess they are not affected) who over for the day, just to play golf. If the Bintan resorts, restaurants and clubs are smart, they will organize to put some pressure on the govt. to let expats who have residency in SG have a reduced rate. Otherwise this is going to really hurt their business.
Feb 10th, 2004, 05:49 PM

Bob, I'll be interested whether you get an answer and whether it agrees with the answer from any other embassy. The word from people on the ground in Indonesia is that the charge for the list of countries above is US$25 for 30 days. Nonetheless, people getting visas in other countries (especially in Europe) are being charged a wide variety of prices by the various embassies. Indonesia has been incredibly disorganized about implementing this.
Feb 10th, 2004, 06:09 PM

i had an interesting phone experience after lunch....my first call, someone answered "hello" and that's all.....i told him i wanted visa info and it just started to ring....recording....it allows you to ring "O"---answering machine....then about 30 more numbers and all answering machines....i left several messages and guess what no one called me back....i will send an e-mail tonight....hate to say it but typical 3rd world!!!!!! glad i don't have an emergency.....i may try ny as well tomorrow....i hate to arrive with no visa or to have trouble leaving bkk because i have not securred one in advance....
i'll advise you of the results
Feb 11th, 2004, 05:11 AM

There is a pretty good write-up on the visa situation on Bali Discovery Tours' website: http://www.balidiscovery.com/message...ge.asp?Id=1721
Check it out.
Feb 11th, 2004, 05:26 AM

Bob, as I remember, you're headed for Bali. There is a visa on arrival facility at the Bali airport, as there is at Jakarta. You should have no difficulty getting your visa on arrival. Indeed, this will be easier, and you know you'll actually be charged the correct amount.
Feb 11th, 2004, 07:00 AM

kathie---i know of this visa point, but i prefer to have the visa before we go...i hate those lines upon arrival...what about the posts that say that there was trouble leaving i think singapore without the visa??

bob

i did hear back from the embassy this morning via e-mail and they referred me to the web site....and also suggested that i call the embassy, which i did about 4 or 5 times yesterday....not very consummer friendly...thought they needed the tourist dollars and pounds, etc....???
Feb 11th, 2004, 08:00 AM

Bob, the problem with people not being allowed on the plane to Indonesia was people boarding the Silk Air flight to Lombok. As there are no visa on arrival facilities at Matram (Lombok), they were not allowed to board. As long as you are flying into an airport that has visa on arrival facilities, you will be fine. Reports on the ground in Indonesia are that the lines have been running efficiently in Denpasar (Bali) and in Jakarta.

This is a case where I would probably just go with getting my visa on arrival. Part of the problem has been that the Indonesian government has been debating doing this for over a year, and has announced one deadline after another, one price after another. Now that they have finally implemented the new visa system, they are having a hard time getting the kinks out of the system. I wouldn't be surprised to see changes in the system in the next few months.
Feb 11th, 2004, 06:19 PM

GUESS WHAT...someone from the embassy called me this afternoon....of course his english was not too good....his suggestion is the same as yours kathie....just get the visa upon arrival...you can get it here however for $25---yet another price....

i asked him about the telephones not being answered and his response was that i should have left a message....how fast people catch on...just like american businesses where everyone screens their calls...well we won't have to worry about that for long because all calls to american businesses are now going to be answered by a scripted indian gentleman or someone from borneo....now if we could figure a way to send everyone in washington overseas, through outsourcing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!