Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Urgent Help! Fort Canning Lodge Singapore opinions please.

Feb 9th, 2004, 01:16 PM
Original Poster

We have a great deal available from here in NZ to Singapore. The deal is with a hotel called The Fort Canning Lodge, but my travel agent is telling me to steer clear of this one and is trying to sell me considerably dearer properties. From the website this place looks perfectly fine, in a good location with nice rooms and a pool but...

Does anyone know of it and have an opinion? We are a family of 4 and don't mind basic - but not dirty and dingy.

Thanks

nzers

Feb 9th, 2004, 02:15 PM

If you are not looking for anything fancy, just a clean place to stay in a decent location, you will be fine.
Your travel agent is most likely trying to steer you to other properties because Ft Canning Lodge is operated by the YWCA and I doubt they pay travel agency commissions.
You will be about a 8-10 minute walk to Orchard Rd. and a very short taxi ride to Chinatown. You will also be walking distance an MRT station and lots of restaurants.
Let me know if you need any more help with Singapore. I've lived here about 3 years.
Feb 9th, 2004, 07:44 PM

Lindsey, I always though of it basically as a classy YMCA? I steered clear when looking for Budget as I thought it was overpriced at Sin$84-90 for a room? They actually sell on hotel sites so I guess they are paying commission. As far as I recall New Park/Miramar etc were the same or less in price.
Nzers? How many choices are they giving you for hotel as there is a big choice, I am sure Lindsey can give you the lowdown on them if you advise exactly how much more each one is?

Feb 9th, 2004, 09:51 PM
Original Poster

Lindsey, thanks for your prompt reply - starting to put my mind at ease.

JamesA, You would not believe the runaround the wholesalers put bargain hunters like myself through.
The deal offered is thus: Fly SA Auckland-Sing return, 2 nights @ Fort Canning lodge for NZ$1199 (extra nights quoted @ N$48 pp per night). Add-on Airfares & 6 nights Phuket for only NZ$199 staying at the Serene Resort, Kata Beach. Both are "very, very, very basic and not recommended by my Travel Agent. So upgrade to The Grand Central in Sing. & Comfort Resort Pkt for $1651 pp or New Park hotel in Sing. & Le Meridien Pkt for $2196pp. HUGE DIFFERENCE!! The basic package is a bargain, but after that you are getting retail rates not "specials". The airfare alone is being quoted as $1350 - you do the math (8 nights for $48!) I am quite keen to go with the "Basic" unless the properties are appalling of course. Then there is the kids fare and accommodation - opening a can of worms and I won't go there.....

Cheers & more opinions welcome

nzers

Feb 10th, 2004, 02:07 AM

The Serene in Phuket is fine (I live in BKK and stayed 3 yrs in Phuket and still go 3-4 x a year), here are some pics and details, they quote NZ$48 per night twin inc tax/svs/bfst. The Serene used to be called Seawind Resort. They have a kids pool, it's honestly ok, type of place I would stay with our kids, it's perfectly acceptable.

Anyway dink this link and you might start getting in the holiday mood, again, Serene is not luxury but it's certainly not a dump, perfectly ok for a fun holiday..

http://www.r24.org/huahin.20m.com/ph...awind/details/

Here's a review that I copied from that site for someone who satyed in late DEC at Serenebr />
"Serene Resort (Formerly Sea Wind Resort), Kata Beach
Nice hotel, great pool area. Lies quite central, but not just by the beach. Breakfast good and variated. Understanding staff when we had a seek child, let us keep the room for extra hours on our last day. "

So I wouldn't bother paying for the Meridien.
==
Lindsey will surely come in for Singapore, the Grand Central is better location wise just around the corner from orchard road, 2 mins, easy, across the road from the MRT, location wise it's good, rooms last time I stayed were basic but save a good 10 mins walk from F/Canning
Feb 10th, 2004, 02:46 PM

OK, I have to qualify this by saying that since I live here, I have never actually been INSIDE any of these hotels. None of them have restaurants that I would seek out, so my comments are really just about location.
New Park's rooms and facilities on their website certainly look the nicest, but it has the least advantageous location. On Kitchener Rd. you would be at the upper end of Little India, not really walking distance from much of anything but some good Indian restaurants.
Grand Central, on Cavenaugh Rd. is just off Orchard, walking distance to a lot, but the Central Expressway wraps around the back of the hotel and if you were on a low floor, you might have traffic noise.
Quite honestly, I like the location of the Ft. Canning Lodge the best. It's a bit "leafier" location, adjacent to Ft. Canning Park and you are really just a few minutes walk to Dhoby Ghaut MRT station. The rooms on the website look basic, but fine. As James says....an upmarket YWCA. If they have the best price, that would be my choice.
What do you plan to do while you are here?
Feb 11th, 2004, 10:03 PM
Original Poster

JamesA - Thanks for that input, we are seriously considering the Serene or Tropical Gardens, if only for our first week. I was just concerned that they were "dumps" as my travel agent put it.

Lindsey - I think the FC Lodge will be fine, unless we can match the price elsewhere by using a single room as we are required to have two rooms for the 4 of us (despite the website advertising family rooms??). Anyway, we will have 2 full days during which time I thought we could take in either Jurong Bird Park or the Zoo (Night Safari too late given our time zone difference), and the other day looking around Chinatown and the Harbour area. Any other suggestions??

Cheers, and thanks

NZers