India safe for woman traveling alone?

Jul 12th, 2002, 11:50 PM
Greta

India safe for woman traveling alone?

I'm hoping to go to India alone in August or September. I'm 27, 5'4" with blonde hair and blue eyes and am wondering if I'd make it one day alive!?

I'm very adventurous and have been many places alone but have never been to a third world country. I'm hoping to fly into Delhi or Bombay(Mumbai). I'd love to go into Nepal if anyone has any info on that too.

Thanks so much for your help! =D

Jul 13th, 2002, 11:17 PM
Rohit

Greta,

I am from Calcutta, India living in US. Being a single woman travelling alone in a new country is always a risk. But if you take some basic precautions and follow the basic rules of safety (same if you were in New york or Chicago or in any big city) , you can have a very safe & fascinating trip to India.

Which cities are you planning to visit? Where are you planning to stay?You can email me and I can be more specific. Travelling on a deserted / shady streets during night is definitely risky otherwise ,by far either Bombay / New Delhi are safe. Dressing a bit conservatively is recommended. People by far are very helpful and Indians by large are very hospitable.

You need to be well informed about the places you plan to visit. The better hotels also are excellent to guide you whether a place/areas you plan to visit are safe or not for single women.They can also advise you about what precautions you need to take(if at all)

Jul 14th, 2002, 12:57 PM
jason

All of the above post is certainly true. Just be VERY prepared to be stared at. A lot. And then some. Bombay is a blast, much more fun than Delhi. You'd be advised to hire a driver (if you can afford it) or contract with a taxi driver so you can have a ride waiting for you when you enter and exit places. You can usually get a taxi driver to take care of you for rs. 1000-1500 a day (and that's on the high end). Talk to your concierge and settle on the price beforehand.

Nov 14th, 2004, 01:07 PM

spotted this gem of a question by greta.indians are used to seeing innumerable white skinned lasses.ur self description stank of a crude narcissism.not even our millions of hindu gods can cumulatively help you.
Nov 14th, 2004, 03:23 PM

To Greta: Not sure what you mean by making it alive. I don't think you will be stared at that much really. You are not the first blonde to go to India. . Just use common sense as you should no matter where you are and you should be fine. And Mister_e that comment is crude of itself and uncalled for.