Hong Kong hotels and activities

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12th, 2004, 08:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning a long weekend of 3 days in HoNG kONG with my wife by end of november.What are the best recommended hotels having nice view and preferably colonial style if any?Also what are recommended places or things to see and are there beaches not too far? Thanks
Old Nov 12th, 2004, 08:46 AM

I think The Peninsula is for you.

There are beaches in many parts of Hong Kong, but water quality at most are pretty poor, and it's too cold for swimming in November. If you just want to walk along the beach, then go to Repulse Bay. [From Central, take any bus towards Stanley.]

The beaches with the better sand and cleaner water are those on the East side. Like Clear Water Bay on the Sai Kung Peninsula or Shek O on HK Island (Bus #9 from Shau Kei Wan MTR). The best quality ones are not accessible by road - only by hiking or by boat.

For other places to go and other things to do, just do a search on Hong Kong on this forum. There are many many threads about it already.
Old Nov 12th, 2004, 08:52 AM

Hi,

Peninsula is the hotel in you want to be if you don't mind the high price tag. It has a spectcular view of the harbor and it is in colonial style...very grand looking. There are many other hotels that have nice view too but they are morden. Repulse Bay is the most famous beach, and it is in Hong Kong Island. The hotel is in Tsim Sha Tsui area which in Kownloon. You can easily take the train ( MTR) from Tsim Sha Tsui station to the exchange square station and take a bus transfer to the beach. I also recommend Stanley market. It is a beach front destrict with open flea market. Aberdeen destrict is another favorite. You can find very good seafood there and get a feel of the fishing village in the old days. If you have time, go to the Victoria Peak to have a bird-eye view of Hong Kong. Try to go there towards the evening time and see the night view too. You will see. Hong Kong is really like big piece of beautiful jewelery. Finally, go to Lantau Island to see the Big Buddha.
Old Nov 14th, 2004, 12:52 PM

Yes lots of great hotels with great views but if you are after colonial style I agree with the above comments...the Peninsular is for you! I believe there is a Sunday buffet in colonial setting in what was the Repulse Bay Hotel ( now a shopping complex ) but I'm not sure. Maybe rkkwan or others may know ?
Old Nov 14th, 2004, 05:49 PM

Colonial-style place for meals:

- The Repulse Bay is built on the same site of the original Repulse Bay Hotel, in the late 80's. In the same style, but is totally modern. Haven't eaten there for many years, but it's managed by the Peninsula Group, so you know the quality is definitely there.

- The Murray House in Stanley is an original government building on the site of the current Bank of China building in Central. They took the building down stone by stone and stored them for like 20 years, until they put it back up in Stanley a few years ago. 4 restaurant there, but I've only had a beer at the King Ludwig. Lots of German brew, with a nice view of Stanley Bay. Highly recommended.
Old Nov 14th, 2004, 05:52 PM

Oh, almost forgot... another one is The Peak Lookout. Haven't had the chance to eat there in its current form, though used to eat there often in the late 70's when it was a more "affordable" place.
Old Nov 14th, 2004, 08:31 PM

there are thousands of hotel in HK...none, in the main areas, really seem to be colonial in the traditional sense...some are more low rise and older feeling, especially in outer area but not in the main areas and if you are only there for 3 days you might prefer kowloon where there is lots of activity...\
i think it is too cold to swim in Nov??