Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Is it safe for solo female traveller in india?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2005, 01:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could share their opinion whether it is safe for female traveller to travel solo in India? I'm 26 and done lots of travelling on my own but those were in Europe, US, Japan, and more developed countries in Asia which I guess is a different story compare to India..

FYI, I'm a small Thai girl (only 5'2) and my particular concern is if there is a risk of physical harrassment. Not too worried about travelling difficulties or health/hygiene though.

Thank you in advance for your reply!

Old May 31st, 2005, 02:02 PM

thgirl,

You should exercise the usual edicts of common-sense. Stay out of the bad areas in the cities. Do not wander alone late at night. Dress modestly (i.e. no cleavage, no short skirts, no ultra-tight garments). Avoid crowded buses in areas like Delhi. If you take these basic precautions, you should be just fine.

Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 03:59 AM

Hi thgirl,
I agree with agtoau. Just common sense precautions will get you long way. Watch your purse, camera, and belongings, as you would in any other country. You may not recognize, which are good & which are bad parts in a City. Ask hotel manager or someone you can trust. Don't fall for something which sounds to be too good to be true, because it is not. Take your time to know people and trust them, only when you are positively convinced. Most of the population is very trustworthy, but there are always a few, who can get you in trouble, like any place else in the world.
Have a Great Trip
Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 12:25 AM

I am a woman and have traveled on my own in India as well as in small and large groups. I agree with the above that you should have no safety concerns. I will say that if you are Caucasian or Chinese, you will draw stares and attention, but not to the level of harassment, IMO. People will want to have their picture taken with you, and will strike up conversations with you, again not in a harassing way, but out of curiosity. I find Indian women especially prone to this, but then I find it interesting to talk to them and hear their views as well.

I will also say that given my choice, I would not travel alone in India only because it can be exhausting to do everything yourself; and given delays in public transport and the inevitable glitches that will occur when traveling in India, I prefer to have someone to laugh and cry with. I also feel the same about traveling in China, other than in the main cities.
Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 12:35 PM

Hey the girl,
I am an Indian living in the US. There are a few things you have to keep in mind about India.
1. Society is a greater law enforcer. If you are being harassed and if people are arnd you, they wont keep quiet. So the trick is to never be alone especially in the night.
2 . Dress conservatively and be wary of talking too much with strangers.
3 . Be prepared to understand that most people would be curious about you and thats the reason why they talk to you.
4. There is never actually physical crime in India. Its mostly abt trying to trick you into spending a few rupees more.
All in all, its a great place. Just use common sense and you should be fine.
regards