Search

Hua Hin Marriott Resort

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14th, 2004, 01:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hua Hin Marriott Resort

Hi everyone.

Well, I am disappointed to receive an extremely poor response to my request for peoples opinions of The Landmark Hotel, Bangkok. I cannot believe that no-one has stayed there who reads these forum's.

So from one fellow traveller to the rest of you - please help me with another hotel - The Marriott Resort & Spa, Hua Hin as we are spending 9 nights there in August in a Garden Terrace room.

PLease, please, please, could anybody let me know what they think of the hotel i.e rooms, food, facilities.

And of course, it is not too late to tell me about the Landmark Hotel, Bangkok.

Thanks
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 01:42 PM

Re Landmark Hotel.
Did you do a search on this site for the Landmark Hotel ? I do get all kinds of info when i type Landmark Hotel in the "Search this forum" box.
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 06:41 PM

sorry i could not help with the landmark...i think it is one of those hotels that get overlooked by tourists...it is a good location..i find the lobby areas old and dark...

now the hua hin marriott that i can help with....we spent a week there a year and 1/2 ago...we were in a garden room too...let me say that our rate was $65 per nite so i think we probably had the smallest room in the place...it was not small really, it was adequate and we were only in it to sleep... this hotel is one where you spend very little time in your room...maybe if you had one of the sea facing rooms you might use the balcony to sit on but we preferred to be at the pool all the time...
roughly the recreaction area is in the middle of a large "C" with the open side of the c being the beach...
the hotel has a long driveway with some parking lots as you enter...the spa is on your left in 3 or 4 thai buildings with their own ponds--very lovely...the lobby is an open air affair...from there you walk into an extended lobby, both have huge swing like sofas, which are maybe 10 feet square...there are lovely decorations and flowers all around...there is a brook with water and a covered bridge..the bar is on your right, both inside and out..then there is the open air restaurant which doubles as the breakfast area...off of that on the right, behind the bar, is the steak house...behind all of that is the free form pool and the kids pool and some water draggons overlooking it all...there is lots of shade area to keep away from the sun...to the right and above you and to your left there are 4 story buildings with rooms which all look over the gardens...there is a small high rise (maybe 6-8 stories) in back of and on top of the lobby...you really don't see it...behind the pool there are restaurants and more rooms...so the pool is surrounded by buildings...a live parrott is at the pool every day and the kids will love it...there are tons of chais lounges (stake one out before breakfast and put your towels there --the pool boys will help)there is a stairway at the back of the pool..up is to a small restaurant, mostly for lunch, and down is to the showers, restrooms and to the lawn which leads out to the beach...there is a childrens play area and activities center here as well...off to the left and up a few stairs is the italian restaurant which is excellent...
the beach is probably the widest in HH and really very nice...the water is not too deep and at low tide you walk for ever to get to your knees...there were jelly fish on our first day but they did not stop us...you can see for miles along the beach...
the king lives up the beach past town...when he is in residence there are 2 or 3 warships just off shore to guard him...they are lit up at night...

our room was sort of dark...the bed was comfortable..the bathroom adequate..we had a small balcony, which we only used to dry bathing suits...we could see the pool and the lovely plantings...we were on the second floor...in back of our building there was a kids play area with a jungle jim...maybe some golf activity as well...
behind the lobby there is a jim thompson shop and maybe one other shop...
ed thompson, from texas, was in charge of all food...we had met him years earlier at the bkk marriott...he does a great job...
there is music near the bar in the evening...

you can walk to town in about 10-15 minutes...the town is sort of boring we thought, but worth a walk around...there are several good restaurants...we liked the taj mahal indian restaurant very much on the street where the hilton is and just past it on the right...a must for eating is the LA MER restaurant which is down the beach, up on the hill which you can see to the right when facing the ocean....it is excellent...seafood of course...you must take a taxi there...
speaking of taxis...there are tuk tuks in the parking lot most of the time and it is 50B to go to town...
there are some people in town who operate regular taxis...just look around ...we used one which was a jeep several times...they took us to la mer and waited for us...
there are internet cafes in town and one fairly big grocery store, plus laundries (very cheap)...
we enjoyed the elephant camp above the town...
we tried to go to the pineapple plant but got there too late...
there is an avis car rental at one of the hotels and we rented a truck for a couple of days and drove around--no traffic...

the food is very good at the hotel--more expensive than local restaurants, of course...the only time we have ever had any stomach problems in thailand in 5 trips was from an american style breakfast we had one morning out on the main street on the left on our way into town...buyer beware...

people oftne speak of a really good restaurant just opposite the marriott but we never saw it...

you will love your time at the marriott...

would you reconsider and stay at the marriott resort and spa in bkk?? it is so much more fun to be on the river and their pool is the best in bkk and the mini mall attached is great for the kids
Old Apr 15th, 2004, 02:58 AM

We stayed at the Landmark in 2002 ( July). We stayed at the marriott resort(BKK) last year.Both were superb but when we return we will go to the Landmark. We had a deluxe room. We were given the opportunity to upgrade when we arrived but our room was like something out of a filmset! Beautiful furnishings, loads of space and a bathroom to die for! We did not eat at the hotel because there were too many restaurants round about that we wanted to try. ( I can give recommendations if you want) However, I have heard some fantastic reports of the hotel restaurants since. I have no idea why this is still a 4 star rating. You are right next to Nana skytrain station. The bar downstairs is a great place to round off the night. It is very lively and they had a superb group there. ( We went to the bar again last year). The Marriott resort could not be faulted either( the BKK one) but it is a bit of a scutter getting anywhere as it involves the hotel boat and 20 minutes before you are dropped off at the skytrain. It also stops at midnight.
I have also stayed at the Marriott in Hua Hin. I cannot add muchmore to what rhmkk has said.The food there was topclass. The pool area is lovely and so is the beach. (Not all hotels in Hua Hin are opposite good parts of the beach) Personally I was not over impressed with the town itself and would probably not return unless it was for total rest and relaxation after a hectic schedule beforehand.
Old Apr 15th, 2004, 11:07 AM

You already have enough info to be going on with, I will just add 3 nice new restaurants in Hua Hin, Japanese restaurant ot the corner by the Sofitel (operated by Sofitel but reasonable prices ), also the Oyster Pot and Fisherman's Wharf down by the fishing piers, both very good, sadly there is still talk of demolishing all those waterfront properties (including the famous Chao Lay ) in the name of progress! Though I guess they will still be around for a few years yet. For a very Thai place which has a floodlite gold drive range plus ponds where you fish for your own prawns and they are cooked for you 'Pimalai' across the railway line.
Old Apr 15th, 2004, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

Thank you those of you that gave me sensible replies - rhkkmk, I couldn't have asked for a better review/description of the Hua Hin Marriott. It is clear that you have a great fondness/loyalty for this hotel chain which is very nice to see - you should maybe ask them for a job as a salesperson. With regard your recommendation for Bangkok, I really don't feel that it is necessary to stay near the river as from my experience, the river hotels are actually some distance from the main sights/nightlife in Bangkok.

To confess, my friends stayed at The Landmark last year in a Deluxe Room and like the other kind response, they had only good things to say, and in fact they are returning there on way back from Oz in September.

To the first respondee who recommended I type the name in the search forum - thanks for the advice !!

James A - thanks for restaurant recommendations, but we don't eat seafood so Prawns is out of the question. Does La Mer do meat as well as seafood ?
Old Apr 15th, 2004, 06:09 PM

i believe la mer is only seafood...i do not remember any meat on the menu...

many of us feel that the real pulse of bkk is on the river....i find the sukhumvit area one of extra pollution and bright lites....i do stay there on some parts of my trips but i much prefer the river areas...i find it very easy to get everywhere in bkk from the river, either by skytrain, boat and/or taxi..
i do appreciate your loyalty to the center city however...i guess i look at the river areas as an oasis...i think you can appreciate that...
Old Apr 16th, 2004, 08:46 AM

La Mer is seafood, I guess they 'might' have some chicken on the menu but not worth the steeep hill unless you are into seafood ( excellent view though ). Thai restaurants in town will always have Pork and Chicken on the menu, sometimes Duck also. If you are into steaks and other food you will find German and Swedish restaurants also!!
Amadeus is a very good German Restaurant down by the fishing piers, opposite the Hilton is the Sunshine Restaurant, very good food and nice atmosphere/service, both good wines too. Buffalo Bill's Steakhouse on the road opposite City Beach Hotel, just up from Sofitel and Hilton.
"Sasi Restaurant' near the Hyatt now has a Thai Drama show though I haven't seen it, price includes basic Thai buffet dinner.
Chinese the Rooftop at the Hilton.