how to spend 8 days in Bangkok

Mar 1st, 2008, 02:52 PM
Original Poster

how to spend 8 days in Bangkok

4 ladies are planning to spend 8 days in Bangkok, and we would like some ideas on what to do. Should we spend the whole time in Bangkok, or are there some side trips we should take. We all like the beach, snorkeling etc., shopping sightseeing, nightlife,museums and good food. Please help us plan this trip to make it unforgetable.
We are planning to go late April thru early May this year.

Thanks and we appreciate all the help we can get.
Mar 1st, 2008, 04:49 PM

I'll be in BKK at that same time, but for 16 days. I admit that our group will be taking a side trip to a beach (probably Samui) for about 5 of those days.

There are plenty of things to see! Just read some of the trip reports here and you'll find more than enough to keep you and your friends busy!

Shopping in BKK is truly fantastic! What will you be hoping to buy? Whatever it is, it can be found in Bangkok.

Mar 1st, 2008, 05:50 PM

With 8 days in BKK, you will be able to do some really great things. You can do a side trip to Hua Hin,a beach 2 1/2 hours from BKK or just a few day trips from BKK, e.g., Ayutthaya. If you choose to go to a beach, you should do it in the middle of your trip.

Have you picked a hotel in BKK? If not, we will be glad to recommend if you suggest a per night budget.
Mar 1st, 2008, 06:10 PM

Yes, Shopping in BKK is truly fantastic.
Mar 1st, 2008, 07:08 PM

many of us prefer the hotels along the river....my personal favorite is the marriott resort and spa...if you want to splurge a bit more the peninsula is truly fantastic...the royal orchid sheraton is decent and the shangri-la is quite nice as well...the oriental, perhaps bangkok's oldest and dearest hotel, is also along the river...

it really makes no difference where you stay as long as the hotel is near to the skytrain...

taxis are cheap, but with four of you it would usually be a squeeze...they are toyota corollas generally...

there is tons to do in bkk and nearby..

many of us love having a driver/guide for some of our time...they are very affordable...3 come immedialtely to mind: cherry, tong and ratt.....you can find posts here about them...

food is fantastic in bkk and quite cheap....you can get almost any cuisine you wish, and of course fantastic thai food....not all thai food is spicy, btw....

so tell us some more about your budgets, interests, etc and we can make tons of more suggestions...

btw, jewelry is very reasonable in thailand, esp. gold and sapphires...

shopping can be from dirt cheap to very expensive designer stuff (same price as in usa)...lots of knockoffs too...

custom made clothing is special in bkk and very affordable...

we have suggestions for most anything you would wish to buy or do...just ask...

sightseeing:

grand palace
jim thompson house
prasart museum
klong tour
wat arun
wat pho
v-mek palace
suan packard palace

floating market
tiger temple
secret place with tong
ancient capital

and many more

get yourself a good general guidebook like fodors or frommers to start your info gathering
Mar 2nd, 2008, 05:36 AM

I would definitely spend the whole time in Bangkok. 8 days is perfect for a first trip there -- this November will be my 19th trip to thailand and even after all this time I usually spend 6-8 days there. If you want you could plan on taking one or two day trips perhaps with a guide like Tong who has been highly recommended here. But you can easily find enough to do in Bangkok without leaving the city. And you can do it is a leisurely way which I consider essential in thailand weather.

Things that are must dos:
Klong trip including Wat Arun
Grand Palace/Temple of Emerald Buddha
Flower Market -- best to do at night
Marble Temple
Vianamanek Mansion
Jim Thompson House
Prasart Museum
Chinatown
Wat Po

Then there are days trips like Ayyuthya, River Kwai, Tiger Temple, Fishing village, floating marekt

Also I would strongly recommend that you stay by the river and just enjoy your hotel. If you want a real unforgettable trip I'd opt for the Oriental hands down.

Of course there is GREAT shopping and 8 days is a good period of time to enable you to have some wonderful clothes made. A terrific tailor is Cotton House in Oriental Place (a tiny mall steps from the Oriental Hotel).Not only will you get gorgeous clothes at great prices but you'll have a lot of fun and Reed, Da and her staff are wonderful to get to know.

And as Bob said the restaurants and spas are also wonderful.

Mar 2nd, 2008, 09:44 AM

For a fun evening get tickets to the Calypso Cabaret at the Asia Hotel- conected to the skytrain.
Search for them on the web. You can order your tickets and pick your seats online. Its a great show and very classy- its ladyboys and they put on a great show- appropriate for all ages- really you will enjoy it. We have seen it twice. Tickets $25 (skip the dinner option). Show starts at 8:30 pm. Get to the hotel about 8:15- pick up your tickets at the box office there in the lobby. Online they will send you a voucher for your tickets.
Mar 5th, 2008, 06:07 PM

Hi, I have read a lot of recommendations for Tong as a guide, but can someone post information on how to contact her and her rates, or direct me to where on this site that information is already posted?

Thanks so much.
Mar 5th, 2008, 06:15 PM

www.tourwithtong.com

[email protected]

i think this is the e mail but check the website