Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Carry on bags for domestic flights in China

Feb 26th, 2008, 07:26 PM
Original Poster

I'm going to China for 3 weeks at the end of June. I have been told that my carry on bag cannot exceed 11 pounds. Do the airlines actually weigh carry ons? Thanks!
Feb 26th, 2008, 07:33 PM

Chinese restrictions on dimensions and weight are actually little different to those around most of the rest of the planet, except that you see them exceeded all the time.

It is very unlikely indeed that your bag will be weighed, and you shoudn't worry about it.

Peter N-H
Feb 27th, 2008, 08:09 AM

I was going to post this same question. To add: Are we allowed a carry on bag and a personal item, such as a purse or other type of bag?

Tthanks!

Monica
Feb 27th, 2008, 08:17 AM

To repeat, the Chinese regulations for carry-ons are the international standard ones, except that any limitation is commonly exceeded.

Peter N-H
Feb 27th, 2008, 11:37 AM

When I traveled to China I took American Airlines regulation carry-on luggage only but domestically in China I was still forced to check my luggage because of the weight and size. The planes we took would not have fit our luggage in the overhead compartment. I would be prepared to check...
Feb 27th, 2008, 01:09 PM

The dimension limitations for carry-on baggage are exactly the same for Chinese domestic flights as they are for international ones: 20 x 40 x 55cm, and typically 5kg.

Flights into and out of the US and Canada allow for greater checked baggage and carry-on sizes and weights. These are not international standards, and if Americans and Canadians fly to another country just expecting these standards to apply, including an extra 5cm on some dimensions of their hand baggage, then yes, they may encounter difficulties. These are not the standard elsewhere.

Having said that, the equipment flown on almost all domestic routes is up-to-date Airbus and Boeing equipment with the usual quantities of storage space, and the limits to what may be brought on board are routinely exceeded. It is certainly better to abide by the regulations, but the chances of falling foul of them, especially on weight unless the item is visibly heavy enough to have its own gravitic field and is attracting lighter objects, is very small. On some carriers from North America the weight limit is still 5kg, although on others it is as much as 7kg.

Peter N-H
Mar 5th, 2008, 08:02 PM

LOL! I love the black hole effect