Hotels in Rajasthan

Sep 28th, 2005, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

Hotels in Rajasthan

Thanks to all for your help so far with our trip planning. On several people's advice, I contacted Compass Travel for our November trip. They suggested the following hotels:

Jaipur—-Raj Palace
Pushkar—-Swiss Tents (Nov 9, which I believe is during the Camel Fair)
Jodhpur—-Pal Haveli
Jaisalmer 1st 2 nights—-Nirain Niwas Palace
Jaisalmer 3rd night--Swiss Tents at the Retreat
Udaipur-—Jagat Niwas Palace

Please share your experiences with these places. Keep in mind that we are only about 7 weeks out, so many of the more popular places are most likely already full. Thanks!

Sep 28th, 2005, 12:47 PM

Seems like you have answered your own question - with only 7 weeks to go, I wonder if you could make any changes anyway? Are you in 2 different places in Jaisalmer on account of availability? Just make sure you confirm every detail with Compass - the more specific you are, the better you will be taken care of.
Sep 28th, 2005, 01:50 PM

Hi there. I believe the Pushkar Camel fair is Nov 12-15, so do make sure your dates linc UP as to not be dissapointed~! The fair is held on the full moon called Kartik Purnima! iT is something not to be missed if you are in the neighborhood, alot of fun! Otherwise, if you are not going during the fair, i would not necc. suggest staying out at the tents. However, the days before the fair do get alot of people and enrgy too, so perhaps it will be okay. About the other hotels, in Jaipur, Raj Palace is a small, lovely heritage property. Not overly fancy like Rambagh Palace, but a good choice, intimate and nice courtyard with outdoor resturant and cafe too. I go there all the time for lunch. The other three properties listed in both Jaismaler, Jodphur and uDAIPUR are again ALL VERY good economical choices for smaller heritage properties, with lots of atmosphere, character and charm. Jagat niwas in UDAIPUR has an excellent location, right alongside the lake.I gather u are going out to the dunes by camel in Jaisalmer band will stay in tents in the Desert. it is a wonderful experince spending a night under the stars. i love Jaisalmer too. one of my FAvorite places in INDIA! happy travels. Bonita.
Sep 28th, 2005, 02:51 PM

Don't be fooled by travel agents and their need to create a sense of urgency to entice you to book their recommended hotels without doing some research of your own. There are heaps of hotels everywhere you are travelling. If you have your hear set on these particular hotels then book them. I can tell you in Dec 2004 we had a choice of any number of budget, mid to high range hotels. Even the Rambagh Palace ( a over-hyped place) had availability. The only place I'd worry about would be Pushkar, if you're there during the Camel Fair. Personally after visiting Pushkar, I would not bother! Check out www.jasvilas.com and ask Mahendra or Lily for some options. They are not travel agents but obviously make a buck by recommending their very good contacts in Rajasthan. Even if you just compare what they can offer you to what Compass has on offer. You will pay up to 30% more in India if you use a travel agent. I've been there twice and costed & researched until I'd made a informed choice to do both trips independently. Good luck & happy travelling, whatever you decide to do!
Sep 28th, 2005, 03:18 PM

Lyndie, I don't think the poster said or implied that they were in any way being pressured. Your advice and my personal preference would be to research and choose the hotels where one would like to stay. It does not sound like this was the poster's approach. It is great to book directly - sometimes this works quite well. On the other hand, especially in India, it is comforting to have someone that can ensure you are "taken care of" for your entire trip. It all depends how experienced a traveler you are and how comfortable you are with travelling completely independently. I think that those "in the know" can truly save some money but if a travel agency delivers value added service then that is ok too.
Sep 28th, 2005, 10:32 PM

Hi Craig-I agree there are all kinds of ways to see India, however Rajasthan is full of good hotels, especially at the top end, and they are not all booked out in November, usually! I think Lily and Mahendra at Jasvilas may be able to give campfire some alternatives. All the best!
Sep 29th, 2005, 05:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of your comments. I do usually book my own hotels, and actually I love doing it, but this trip I just don't have the time to deal with it. Thanks for reassuring me that the travel agency is giving us good advice!
Sep 30th, 2005, 05:13 PM

We were in India for a month last Nov/Dec and I have to say that although we didn't go to the Pushkar Fair many of the heritage properties around Rajasthan were heavily booked in the weeks around the fair. By the end of the first week in December there was no problem but prior to this I really had to twist the itinerary to find availability at the places I wanted to stay.

I made all the reservations directly which was fine but it became a real juggling act.