Search

Booking travel in India

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27th, 2005, 04:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Booking travel in India

Hi there,
I am planning to travel to India in March 2006. I have looked into packages from here but am wondering if I should wait until I get to Delhi to book tours/hotels/transportation? Will that be cheaper and is it easy to find? I am Indian and speak fluent Gujurati but have never been to India before. I have heard that rates may be cheaper for locals/Indians, and wondering if anyone knows this for a fact - and if an Indian tourist can bargain for better rates.
Thanks.
Old Dec 27th, 2005, 05:35 PM

Yes, you will get better rates in many places, but do you want to stay in specific places or are you comfortable just getting what you get? Oberoi hotels actually ask up front if you are a resident of India. I'd book ahead using an indian agent if you want to make sure. Otherwise you can bargain on your own.

Two agents I've been happy with are Durjay at Compass travel in Delhi- you can google it-or Vini at vinstring holidays at
Email: [email protected] or web site: http://www.vinstring.com./main.htm

Old Dec 27th, 2005, 05:46 PM

a friend, who is indian born and has lived in the usa for about 8 years just returned with amazing stories of how they were "ripped off" by the indian locals, especially in delhi....she had forgotten how difficult everything was there, not having been back for 3 years...taxis, hotels, etc....she found no advantage to doing things after arrival and in fact found it more difficult....difficult if you try to do it on your own without the assistance of an agent...it is also very time consumming...

i certainly would book by hotels before i left and my transportation...i would seek the assistance of an on site agent to do this....many have been listed on this board and can be contacted via e mail or telephone...
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 03:10 AM

If you have the time then do your own thing. Book somewhere to stay in advance for when you arrive in New Delhi; have an idea of where you want to go thereafter. Visit the foreigners booking office at New Delhi Stn. Or you can book train tickets on line now, I believe!

If you don't have time and wish to fly everywhere - then sort out a basic structure before you leave home. There is rarely a need to find accommodation before you arrive somewhere if you are happy with 2/3 star class business grade hotels.

Don't know if being of Indian descent will help you get a better deal - doubt it somehow, and speaking Gujarati will probably only be of use in Gujarat. Which, of course, is a little visited but very worthwhile destination.

Happy travels.
Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 11:14 PM

hi
I am Justin, from Kerala now residing in Goa. I had been working for some multi national travel companies in india for the past 8 years handling western tourists. I am familiar with most of the tourist destinations in South India including Goa.
if you need a proper tour plan, feel free to mail me. [email protected]
looking forward to hear from you.
rgds,
justin
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 01:40 AM

Don't book a package, get a TA to do a customized tour for you which addreses your interests. Given the minimal cost involved in doing this it makes sense to work out your itnerary and have someone book car/train/air transfers and hotels for you rather than winging it IMO. Rates used to be cheaper at hotels for Indians paying in rupees but mostly they are standardized now. I would not wait until Delhi - u may find some of the hotels u want are sold out eg in April, 2004 which is off season we could not get Samode Haveli in Jaipur and had a hard time getting Amar Vilas in Agra. Also, if you have limited time plan your trip - transfers between cities can be time consuming in India eg in Rajasthan.
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 01:40 AM

Sorry - hit post! We used a Delhi based agency, President Travels, [email protected]. I reco makign your plans thru an agency esp for a short trip as u can get more done when everything is booked ahead.
Old Jan 28th, 2006, 01:58 PM

Hi
We have just returned from a wonderful 24 day trip to India covering North and South - hectic but enjoyable.
We are of Indian descent(although born in Africa)but considered foreigners when travelling to India as our tour(accom,air travel etc) payments were made in US dollars.
Indian nationals pay in rupees as far as i know. i hope this proves helpful to you.
Good luck with your travels.