Search

Hotels in Hong Kong

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15th, 2014, 07:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotels in Hong Kong

Hi folks

I am Charles from Paris and have to visit Hong Kong for business in the next week. I need some suggestions for hotels at Tsim Sha Tsui in kowloon, since I have heard its a good location and well connected to the city. Could someone give me personal reviews or suggestions about any hotels in this area and things i need to keep in mind before booking with them? (Closest to MTR)
P.S: Price isn't the main concern, but i would definitely want good service and great location.

Thanking you all in advance

Cheers!
Old Apr 16th, 2014, 05:17 AM

The Grande Dame, of course is the Peninsula, but the Intercontinental has rooms with stunning views and the high floors of the Sheraton has views as well.
Old Apr 16th, 2014, 08:16 AM

Peninsula, InterConti, Hyatt, Sheraton, Shangri-la are all close to the TST MTR station. All depends on your travel preferences and of course your budget.
Old Apr 16th, 2014, 08:29 AM

Marco Polo Hong Kong Hotel is also in a great location, very close to the Star Ferry terminal, and in the heart of TST district. Some rooms have a harbor view, but you will pay more.
Old Apr 16th, 2014, 09:54 PM

Putting aside which area is better or which hotel is "best", I will answer which hotel in Tsim Sha Tsui is closest to the MTR.

First, there is the Tsim Sha Tsui station for the Tsuen Wan line and there is the East TST station for the West Rail Line. The two stations are linked underground but the paid areas are separate. Most tourists will use mostly the Tsuen Wan line, which runs underneath Nathan Rd. Therefore hotels on Nathan Rd will generally be closer to the actual Tsuen Wan Line trains.

Those include the Peninsula, Sheraton, Holiday Inn Golden Mile, Kowloon, and all the guesthouses in Chungking and Mirador Mansions. And among the big hotels, I will argue that Holiday Inn Golden Mile has the quickest access to the actual trains.

Having said that, all the above require at least a few steps (for the Kowloon Hotel, maybe 3 large steps literally) exposed to the element to get to the train stations. If one wants direct access to the hotel, then the closest choice is the Hyatt Regency. A bit further, on opposite side of Nathan Rd is the Langham.

There are plenty of suggestions above, but while the Intercon and Shangri-La are also just steps to an MTR exit, neither are that close to the trains on Tsuen Wan line. And neither is the Marco Polo. Finally, the Kowloon Hotel is infamous for its minuscule rooms - if budget is not a big concern, skip it.
Old Apr 16th, 2014, 11:53 PM

Of course the most cosmopolitan is ChungKing Mansions, most conveneint and in the center of Kowloon activity. All the formerly named ones are mostly filled with boorish mainlanders.
Old Apr 17th, 2014, 04:23 AM

OP: "i would definitely want good service"

jobin, I lack first-hand experience staying at ChungKing Mansions; how would you rate the service there?
Old Apr 17th, 2014, 05:19 AM

Wow! Thanks for all the information rk. I thought Marco Polo was very well located, but then, I wasn't riding the subway that much. I was happy to be in the middle of shopping, plus steps to Star Ferry.