Search

Hotels in BKK using points

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16th, 2008, 01:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotels in BKK using points

Hello,

My husband and I are going to Thailand for 2 weeks in January (Jan 1-16) and need to use points for the hotel stay. We plan to spend 2-3 days in BKK at the beginning of the trip and 1-2 days there at the end before flying home.

I can use Marriott points or can convert AMEX points to Starwood (Sheraton/Westin).

We are in our mid-30's and love to travel, explore, and experience new cultures.

Any thoughts/recommendations about the following BKK hotels?

1. Courtyard Bangkok
2. Le Meridien Bangkok
3. Royal Orchid Sheraton
4. Westin Grande Sukhum

Thank you!!
Heahter
Old Nov 16th, 2008, 03:26 PM

There's more than one Le Meridien in Bangkok now. Which one are you considering, the Plaza Athenee or the new one on Suriwong?

If this is your first trip to Bangkok, then I'm sure you'll get lots of recs to go with the Royal Orchid Sheraton, which is on the river, and therefore gives you easy access to most of the city's major sites.

However, since you can use Marriott points as well, why aren't you looking at the Marriott Riverside?
Old Nov 16th, 2008, 06:39 PM

Being a river person, I'd recommend that you consider either the Royal Orchid (and I recommend the Towers) or the Marriott Resort and Spa.
Old Nov 16th, 2008, 06:40 PM

Being a river person, I'd recommend that you consider either the Royal Orchid (and I recommend the Towers) or the Marriott Resort and Spa.

If you want a hotel on Sukhumvit, the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit gets much better reviews than the Westin.
Old Nov 16th, 2008, 07:13 PM

i have used marriott points at the JW marriott and the marriott resort and spa....there is also a new courtyard near the 4 seasons hotel...

i have used starwood points very successfully...both just points and cash and points...

the cash and points can be fantastic if available for your dates...let me look
Old Nov 16th, 2008, 07:15 PM

no cash and points for that time---sorry...

plaza anthanee is the nicest of the starwood hotels, tied with the sheraton grande....the new meridien on suriwongse is just opening about that time....

westin is so so...
Old Nov 16th, 2008, 10:08 PM

Since you have Marriott points, I would use those as the JW Marriott in Sukhumvit is nice. It is also in a good location for hopping on the sky train. Since you will be coming to the city twice, you might want to spend the first trip in town and the second on the river. The Sheraton and Westin on Sukhumvit are nice. I am not a big fan of the Plaza Antahanee, I find it not as friendly. I also hate Wireless Road. It is across from the Embassy and a major road during rush hour. If you have Hyatt points, the Grand Hyatt Erawan is wonderful and a great location. Hope that helps. PS. Book now for Jan 1st dinner or you might have a problem. Also, you might want to go to The Bed Supperclub. Very trendy, great food but fun.
Old Nov 17th, 2008, 01:54 AM

WE always use our Starwood points to stay at the Royal Orchid Sheraton. We love its location and its pool.

As Kathie says, the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit is much nicer than the Westin.

The Marriott Resort on the river is also very nice.
Old Nov 17th, 2008, 04:12 AM

Keep in mind that rhkkmk and Gpanda are both elderly gentlemen, so of course they are likely to prefer the river location, which is more relaxed. However, as you are in your mid-30s, you might very well prefer the center-city locations instead. The JW Marriott would be a good choice, as would either the Westin or Sheraton Gr Sukhumvit. (I've stayed at both Westin and Sheraton, and I actually prefer the Sheraton.)
Old Nov 17th, 2008, 04:13 AM

Rats, I meant to say that I actually prefer the Westin (comparing Westin & Sherton.

Must have been a pre-senior moment.
Old Nov 17th, 2008, 04:48 AM

HMD99
I prefer Sukhumvit locations myself. I'll be in BKK until Jan 7. Maybe we can say hello? I'm staying on soi 8 at Adelphi Suites.

Having access to the skytrain is a major plus in BKK as traffic on the street is often at a standstill.

If you are planning to do sight seeing, a river location is good. If you are planning to shop and dine and experience BKK nightlife, I'd suggest Sukhumvit area.

Enjoy your trip.
Carol
Old Nov 17th, 2008, 04:52 AM

While RhkKmk is certainly elderly, there is some question concerning whether he is a gentleman.

I also note that in the same post, Rizzutto managed to reference Bob and my advanced ages and completely confuse two hotels. Pots and kettles come to mind. He won't be casting any first stones.

Stay on the river, it's a respite from the BKK frenzy.
Old Nov 17th, 2008, 05:52 AM

Actually, the idea of staying on the river for one of the two BKK visits, and staying in Sukhumvit for the other BKK visit is a great idea!

Stay on the river first, since you will be jetlagged and will want to relax and unwind. You will also probably want to take a look at some of the river sights (Grand Palace, Wat Pho, Wat Arun, etc). You can ride on a river ferry to do all of this.

Stay in Suk area when you are getting ready to head for home and have that last-minute shopping list to complete. You can hop on and off the skytrain to get to the major malls and markets. (will you be in the city for a visit to the weekend market? Chatuchak is amazing)

Have a great time!

Carol
Old Nov 20th, 2008, 07:17 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all very much for your helpful responses. It looks like I only have enough points to stay at the Courtyard Bangkok (on Rajdamri Road) or the Le Meridien Bangkok (on Surawong Road).

Any thoughts on which hotel is in a better location? We like nightlife but won't be out partying until the wee hours of the night. Dinners and drinks is about as crazy as we get.

Thank you!!
Heather
Old Nov 20th, 2008, 07:24 PM

The Le Meridien on Surawong is brand new (still in soft opening stage) and right across the street from the (in)famous Patpong night bazaar.

The Courtyard would be quiet by comparison, although it's not actually that far away.

I would go for the Le Meridien because it's new and likely has a lot more facilities than the Courtyard.
Old Nov 21st, 2008, 07:12 PM

The soft opening for the Le Meridian isn't until December. The hotel is supposed to be fully operational in January, but no confirmation of the exact dates for either of these. So it might be open when you get there, but chances are some of the facilities won't be ready.