Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Hilton or Bangkok Marriott Resort and spa?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 09:40 AM
KKA

We will have 2 nights in Bangkok during our stay in Thailand this summer. have problems to decide which hotel to stay at, The Hilton or The Bangkok Marriott Resort and Spa. We want to stay at a hotel with nice gardens and pool area with the possibilty to relax in some luxurious environments. At the same time it has to be not too far away from good shopping. Anybody who knows something about these 2 hotels (or others that might be better) please help us to decide.<BR><BR>Thanks

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 11:25 AM
Kathy

We stayed at the Bangkok Marriott Resort in January. It was very nice! Atmosphere, food, and friendly staff were as good as we hoped.

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 09:21 PM
Hanuman

Rooms at the Hilton are quite old but the pool and garden are wonderful. Marriot is too far away from everything. Best garden = Hilton, best pool = Grand Hyatt overall best everything = Oriental. For just a little bit more money go to the Oriental Hotel. Your summer time is the low season period in Thailand and the rooms prices should be way down!

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 11:08 AM
Gilbert

I was planning to stay one night at either the Marriott Resort on the river or the JW Marriott. Has anyone stayed at either of these two places? What are the differences in service quality, atmosphere (i.e. leisure vs. business travellers), and proximity to shopping and sights?

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 06:49 PM
Hanuman

Marriott Resort is by the river and relatively far away from major shopping centres and skytrain access. JW Marriott is on Sukhumvit road and more convenient if you're in town for business and shopping. <BR><BR>Restaurants: JW Marriott is far better offering a steak place(New York?) and a good chinless restaurant. Marriott resort have Benihanan and Trader's Vic.

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 08:02 PM
bob

we always stay several nites at the marriott resort and spa...you son't be disappointed...it has the best pool, good food, both thai and american and the staff is fabulous...nothing overbearing about this hotel...just quality...not luxuary however...<BR><BR>it is a bit removed from center of things for a short stay however<BR><BR>STAY THERE

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 10:32 AM
Gilbert

People seem to say that the Marriott Resort and Spa is very far away from the sights. What about the boat shuttle on the river - how frequently does this run? Can you connect to the rapid transit system from one of the river drop-off points? Also, is there a special shuttle that can take guests to/from the airport?<BR><BR>On the other hand, The JW Marriott seems to be located in a convenient part of the city for shopping. However, one guidebook said that the neighborhood nearby was a little seedy at night. Is this true?<BR><BR>

Old Oct 11th, 2002, 07:50 PM
nancy e

I've got free nights at the Hilton in Bangkok. Is it worth staying at the Hilton? I'll be traveling by myself and will be there on New Years Eve. Does it have much of a night life? <BR><BR>Any advice would be appreciated.<BR><BR>Thanks,<BR>Nancy