Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Recommendation for a hotel on the river in bangkok

Mar 2nd, 2008, 04:52 PM
Original Poster

We are going to Bangkok in February and have been told that we must stay on the river. What recommendations do you have for a first timer to Thailand?
Mar 2nd, 2008, 05:03 PM

The experts will want to know your budget...
Mar 2nd, 2008, 05:13 PM

Top choices in order up river to down river are Royal Orchid Sheraton, Hilton Millenium, Mandarin Oriental, Peninsula, Shangri-La and Bangkok Marriott Resort and Spa. My personal favorite is the Peninsula.
Mar 2nd, 2008, 05:35 PM

We vote for the marriott!!! We have stayed there a few times and always love it!!!!!!!! At first my wife said she didnt want to stay at a marriott when we go all the way to BKK, but check out the pictures online and you can tell its not a "normal" marriott!
Mar 2nd, 2008, 05:43 PM

The two most deluxe are the Oriental and the Peninsula althought they have VERY different feels/atmosphere. If you want to spend the money to stay at either you will quickly learn that each have strong supporters. I'm an Oriental girl. others love the Pen. It depends what type of hotel you like and what you look for.The biggest and to my mind most commercial albeit deluxe is the Shangrila. The Royal Orchid and Marriott are a step down in terms of "deluxe" but the tower rooms at the Royal orchid are excellent value. marriott is the least convenient location but it has more of a resort feel and is a lot less expensive. So the real question is what kind of hotel do you like and what is your budget?
Mar 2nd, 2008, 05:51 PM

If price is important the Menam Riverside costs less than the places on KimJapan's list and still offers river views with considerable comfort, although not luxury.
Mar 2nd, 2008, 06:13 PM

marriott is no longer "much" cheaper....prices have crept up...

for a first timer the marriott is perfect however....its our hotel of choice...

the peninsula is our splurge hotel...i see nothing to not clasify it as #1 or 2 in bkk...

i also like the shangri-la and it is right next door to the skytrain...a huge plus...

i find the hilton and sheraton the least convenient....the hilton is nicer than the sheraton also and much newer....newer generally means more up to date....
Mar 3rd, 2008, 01:51 AM

If price is no object, stay at either the Oriental or the Peninsula. A step down is the Shangri-la. This is the most coveniently located. It is right by the skytrain and river ferry. Slightly less luxurious are the Royal Orchid Sheraton and the Marriott Resort. We always stay at the ROS. It's not very Thai, but well-located. There are a number of very good restaurants within walking distance.

Take a look at Sawadee.com and the hotel section for BKK to get an idea of price differential.
Mar 3rd, 2008, 06:38 AM

The Oriental. Happy Travels!
Mar 3rd, 2008, 08:17 AM

for value, the best view and great service the Peninsula... take a balcony room and spend ages just watching the little boats go backwards and forwrds.....
Mar 3rd, 2008, 08:41 AM

The Pen is the best
For rooms, grub, and drinks;
It's known all 'round Bangkok,
The Oriental stinks.
Mar 3rd, 2008, 08:47 AM

I'd choose the Peninsula for luxury and views, or the Centre Point Silom for a huge lovely apartment with a kitchen at a very reasonable price.
Mar 3rd, 2008, 09:37 AM

Rizzuto..."The Oreintal stinks?". I mean...really. Happy Travels!
Mar 3rd, 2008, 09:42 AM

The Oriental is stuffy,
Its decor is from hades;
Selected primarily
By fusty old ladies.
Mar 3rd, 2008, 10:53 AM

Nothing could ever be sicker
Than a poet from Billerica.
His forays into twisted verse
Should only travel in a hearse.
Mar 3rd, 2008, 11:44 AM

The Marriott sucks,
The Royal Orchid gypped us;
Pandas should be quiet,
And munch eucalyptus.
Mar 3rd, 2008, 11:47 AM

Is it poetic license or sheer stupidity to confuse pandas with koalas?
Mar 3rd, 2008, 12:13 PM

Both are outside my area of expertise. perthaps, we should ask the POB?
Mar 3rd, 2008, 12:21 PM

LOL! If it's known all around Bangkok that the Oriental "stinks" I wonder how come when royalty comes or when the rich and famous need a place to stay or when local Bangkok bigwigs have an event it is at the Oriental and not the Peninsula. I guess they're all "deluded."

My opinion - Pen is super deluxe and has huge rooms with lots of high technology. It is on the "wrong" side of the river and to my mind is impersonal, cold and generic,

Oriental is less high tech, has smaller rooms, more personal service and is very busy with all the delusional thais who use the lobby and restaurants. It does not have tour groups, feels more intimate and oozes history and charm.

Both are among the top hotels in the world. I stayed at the Pen once and will never stay there again but that's not because it "stinks".
Mar 3rd, 2008, 12:39 PM

I cannot disagree that the Peninsula is a bit impersonal. But the pools are nicer/larger and possibly less crowded than the one(s) at the Oriental. I suppose there are more places accessible on foot from the Oriental.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO