Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotels in Bhutan

Anyone have info on these hotels -
Paro. Olathang
Thimphu. Hotel Druk
Wangduephodrang. Dragon's Nest Resort
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 03:59 AM

I just returned yesterday from a 10 day trip to Bhutan. I can give you all the details on all the hotels later. I'll write up a trip report in a few days or so.
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 12:27 PM

We stayed at the Hotel Druk last October. Had a two-room suite which was okay but nothing spectacular. The bed wasn't particularly comfortable. The hotel is well located for walking around the main part of the town. They were doing a lot of construction at the square in front of the hotel. We were at the back, overlooking the soccer field, and it was quite quiet.
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 11:55 PM

Hi Mealea,

Hope you had a great time. Can't wait to read your report. We just got back 9 hours ago. I will e-mail you soon when I unpack. Ciao.
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 11:48 AM

I was in Bhutan in July '04. It was monsoon season (very little rain except at night), but wonderful as we were the only tourists.
The Olathong is nice - individual cottages. Somewhat dark and very basic bathrooms, but hotels in Bhutan (excluding the Uma Paro or Aman resorts) are fairly basic. It's part of the charm.
My favorite was actually camping out in a tentin a leech field at the Sewala monastery.
The Druk is very convenent and I liked it better than the Riverview.
The Dragos'd Nest is the same, the nicest Bhutan has to offer, but pretty basic. I found all of them totally acceptable and clean and liked the Druk best.
Have a wonderful time. I can't wait to go back to Bhutan. If you need any help with a guide I have some good advice.
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 02:05 PM

Hi alibi13,

Hope you had a great time too. I just got back last Monday and will write something pretty soon. Looking forward to hearing all about your adventures.
Old Jan 24th, 2006, 04:07 AM

If you can afford it I would stay at the Uma in Paro. The Olathang has exceedingly hard beds and basic bathrooms. In fact all the hotels are like that in Bhutan. So if you fancy a decent night's sleep bring an air mattress with you. I stayed at the Riverview in Thimpu which is quiet as it's on the other side of the river but no good if you want to wander round the town in the late afternoon/evening. It also has terrible water problems as you have to run the water for 1/2 hour to 1 hour to get hot water! I stayed at the Zangthopelri Hotel in Punaka where the buffet food in the restaurant is always cold. In Bumthang/Jakar I stayed in the Wangdicholing Resort hotel which has the most basic of all bathrooms. The New Yankill Resort in Trongsa isn't bad.
Old May 7th, 2006, 02:44 AM
Original Poster

Returned from my trip to Bhutan. A few comments on hotels. First -- we stayed at Paro - Olathang
Thimphu - Hotel Druk
Wangduephodrang - Dragon's Nest Resort

I was not expecting much based upon the comments I had heard in advance. They are very simple hotels-- with the typical HARD mattresses and barking dogs on the outside (Bhutanese charm One thing we noticed -- the staff at the Paro hotel were very nice and helpful. We found the other the other 2 hotels to be less so -- especially the Thimpu Hotel. Example -- we had the wrong electrical outlet adapter. We asked if they had one or a hair dryer -- we were told no -- only to find out that the housekeeping staff would gladly lend you one. Also -- it was a big ordeal to get them to cash a $50 travelers check. Not sure what was up with that.

as I said -- these hotels are pretty much what we expected -- and were fine.