Hotels - BKK, northern Thailand, LP, Siem Reap

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22nd, 2005, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 33 Likes on 2 Posts

I’m starting to nail down specifics of a February trip to BKK, Chiang Mai, Mae Hong Son, Luang Prabang, and Siem Reap. (Yes, me again – mom/daughter trip.) We prefer guesthouses to large hotels, although are open to a large hotel in Bangkok. Location is important, as is cleanliness, AC, and comfortable beds. We don’t need a lot of amenities – pool, tv not important. Would like to keep budget to about $50 per night except Bangkok, maybe around $100 (or maybe we could splurge a bit since mrwunrfl just saved me $300 on airfare!). Here are some possibilities that appeal to me. Comments on these? Any other suggestions in my price range?

Bangkok
Centre Point Service Silom apartments
Ibrik Resort

Chiang Mai:
Baan Orapin
Galare Guest House

Mae Hong Son
Fern Resort

Luang Prabang
Sayo Guesthouse
Sala Prabang
Senesouk Guesthouse
Throng Bay Guesthouse
Sokxai
Saynamkhan

Siem Reap
La Villa Loti Coconut House
Angkor Discover Inn
Peace of Angkor Villa
Golden Temple Villa

What is the best location in Siem Reap? The airport road, east of the river, or west of the river?
I'm considering getting two singles rather than a twin if we stay at cheap places. Does that make sense? Julie and I love each other, but a little privacy on occasion might be nice.
And thanks for everyone who has encouraged me to do this independently. I've become increasingly confident as I've done more research!
Karen
Old Oct 22nd, 2005, 06:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
quite honestly i do not think it matters where in SR that you stay....all locations are quite central...i do suggest that you hire a driver each day for exploring in an a/c car...

as for bkk i prefer the marriott resort and spa....it will be at the top of your price range perhaps $120....try www.huahin.20m.com......great pricing and includes tax/service and a fabulous breakfast...

may i suggest that you reconsider the pool aspect...it makes the heat bearable and is totally refreshing ....worth the $$
Old Oct 22nd, 2005, 07:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Bob. Yes, I think we're going to try to get Ponheary. I might consider the Marriott - have seen you rave about it! The Centre Point appeals to me a lot in BKK because it's an apartment rather than just a room - thought it might be nice for relaxing after a long day. Maybe you're right about the pool...
Old Oct 23rd, 2005, 03:46 AM

Some comments. Ibrok sounds great but IMO being near the BTS in Bangkok makes a trip much better and Center Point Silom provides that convenience. CHiang Mai we really enjoyed Tamarind Village booked for US$43/night incl breakfast on www.precisionreservations.com. Luang Prabang I have heard very good things about Sayos esp re size of rooms.
Old Oct 23rd, 2005, 05:06 AM
Original Poster

I think I've pretty well decided on Sayo in LP - unless someone jumps in with a hidden gem! Would really like some feedback on La Villa Loti Coconut House in Siem Reap - anybody? How about the Red Piano - anyone stayed there?
Old Oct 23rd, 2005, 07:12 AM

althom, we are also going to be in Thailand in Feb! What day do you arrive? Maybe our paths will cross!

We are staying at the Centre Pointe Silom. We were going to book through their web site but the prices are better on ohter sites.

We are also going to be stayin in a Jr. Suite at Bann Orapin.

Our guide recommended that we stay at Auberge Mont Royal in Siem Reap. We checked it out on the web and it gets great reviews so we are going with this place.

What is mrwunrfl?! Is that a booking site? We haven't bought our air tickets yet but we will this week.

Have a great trip!
Old Oct 23rd, 2005, 07:32 AM

mrwunrfl is a guy from washington dc who has great experiences and lots of info on asia and especially japan....

centre point, silom has a decent pool
Old Oct 23rd, 2005, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

Eurotraveller - we're flying out (assuming I can get the tickets booked today - need to get my daughter's passport number) on Feb 5 and arriving the 6th. Plan on spending the 6th-9th at Centre Point, departing the morning of the 10th for Chiang Mai. Am getting eager to get the flights arranged so I can start booking hotel rooms. mrwunfrl helped me out in a different thread where I was asking about flight logistics (my daughter and I are on opposite ends of the country).
I'll check out the Auberge Mont Royal in Siem Reap. You mention your guide - do you mean for the whole trip or just Siem Reap? And who is it? And lastly, which site did you use to book Centre Point? Would be open to a get-together at some point if possible! Thanks!
Karen
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 02:47 PM

Boy, my typos are terrible but I don't think they are as bad as Bob's yet.

Althom, we will arrive at the Centre Point Silom on Feb 5th and stay for 3 nights. Through the hotel website we were going to book the larger studio for $79 inclusive ot tax, service and breakfast. I think it was Sawadee.com that has the one bedroom for the same price as the hotel has the studio.

Maybe we could meet up for a drink or coffee one evening or morning! When I was in Turkey I met up with 3 sisters from Australia that I had been communicating with on Fodors and the www.turkeytravelplanner.com website. It was a hoot! We spent the evening having drinks and dinner on a gorgeous deck with an amazing view, laughing the night away! I will definitely be in touch with these ladies when I go to Australia!

We are hiring a guide for 3 days for Siem Reap. He was recommended on this site. For the life of me I can't remember his name at the moment but we have been in communication for the last month and he gets right back to me. I will look it up and get back to you.

I am typically a do-it-yourself traveler but I think hiring a guide for Angkor Wat will be well worth it! To learn about the history and detailed info will be invaluable.

Did you get your tickets booked? We are doing that this week. We will fly EVA Deluxe Evergreen. I can NEVER sleep on a plane, no matter how long the flight is so the extra luxury will be well worth the money.

Feel free to email me at [email protected].
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 03:48 PM

mrwunrfl is now a calif surfer guy living with the stars in la.
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 07:27 PM

ken...i forgot he moved...i think i will be committed shortly...
Old Oct 25th, 2005, 03:26 PM

Althom, the guide we hired is Saron Soeun.

Here is a link you can copy and paste into your web browser:

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...amp;dirtyBit=1
Old Oct 25th, 2005, 04:20 PM

karen, my 18 year old daughter (who had been teaching in a village outside of Chiang Mai for 3 months) traveled in Thailand, Siem Reap and Luang Prabang for two weeks this past April. We loved Baan Orapin Guest House in Chiang Mai and shared a lovely suite with a huge queen size bed. I highly recommend staying there. In BKK, we stayed at the Riverfront Sheraton ($100 incl. a fabulous breakfast buffet unlike any other. It is next door to the river taxi stop. Bob will push for the hotel down the river, but this was easy and also a few stops from the Sky train. Insist on seeing the room first as the first one I was taken to overlooked the roof of the restaurant below. the second one had a fabulous river view. In Luang Prabang, we stayed at 3 Nagas. wonderful. two twin beds. We did the whole trip ourselves. BUT, I couldn't have done it without the help of those on this site (Kathie and Bob in particular). I picked their brains for 3 months and then did it my way. We had a great time and never once felt unsafe. In Siem Reap, I recommend the Shinta Mani Guest House as the profits go to a great cause and the kids there do an exquisite job. We walked everywhere in Siem Reap and while it was u npleasant to see and smell the beggar amputees, no one offended us. We always took ourleft overs and gave them to the first child we saw. In Siem Reap, make sure you eat at Dead Fish Tower, Red Piano and for lunch at Khemer Kitchen down a small alley. Mick Jagger put it on the map, but it is still small and not crowded and oh, so cheap. goodluck.
Old Oct 25th, 2005, 04:50 PM

janak-- did you meanRoyal Orchid Sheraton?
Old Oct 25th, 2005, 05:56 PM
Original Poster

Eurotraveller - we arrive the 6th and I'm not yet sure whether we'll be there 2 or 3 nights - let me nail that down and then maybe we can figure something out! We're flying EVA too, out of San Francisco the day after you! May follow up on your Siem Reap guide. Haven't decided yet. Were going to try for Ponheary.

And Janak, thanks for your input - some great ideas there! Will definitely try some of your restaurant recommendations. And will check on your LP and SR hotels. Am pretty well sold on Centre Point in BKK because I like the idea of the living room.
Thanks!