hotel tokyo recommendations

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20th, 2004, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi i will be traveling with my wife to tokyo for the first time in november are are in our 20's and are looking for american style hotels in shinjuku between the range of 300 usd can any one comment on this century hyatt, hilton, or others

thank you
Brian
Old Apr 21st, 2004, 12:33 AM

BrianN, I was in Tokyo last July with my sisters. We stayed in Keio Plaza in Shinjuku. It's a modern hotel with all the amenities. It's a 10 minute walk from the JR station but there are places nearby where there are quite a few restaurants (mainly Japanese restaurants). We're quite happy with it but I think you will not be disappointed with any of those hotels you mentioned.

Have a good time.
Old Apr 21st, 2004, 04:24 AM

How long will you guys be staying? I'd also recommend you do a search on this forum with wildcards like hotel + tokyo. You'll find tons of feedback.
Old Apr 21st, 2004, 10:04 PM

The major western hotels in Shinjuku are the Keio Plaza, Hilton, Centry Hyatt, Shinjuku Prince,and Park Hyatt.

The Shinjuku Prince is right in the heart of Shinjuku, but the rooms are really small and the hotel itself is not very fancy at all. It's older and pretty ordinary. Yet, it's probably the least expensive of the group and most convenient when traveling by train. I have my freinds/relatives stay there just because it is the most convenient hotel for me to get to.
The Century Hyatt is now aging too. I haven't stayed in the rooms. It's right across from the Hilton. It's enormous high chandelier above the large black and white marlbe tiles in the lobby created a stir and dazzled everybody when it opened. Other than that, can't say much about it.
The Hilton is pretty much your standard, vanila-envelope Hilton. It's at least a 10-15 minute walk to the station. They have a shuttle bus. The rooms are small. Many of my friends stay there and find it fine.
If budget is no object (I am not sure how far your USD300 will go), but the Park Hyatt is THE hotel to stay at in the whole country. It is swank and elegantly but tastefully appointed. The rooms are fairly large, starting at around the building's 45th floor. The room rates are higher than the 52-story building, however. You end up paying for the prestige of staying at a name value hotel that offers truly impecable service, or so I am told. It is the farthest from the station, 15 minute walk.
Finally, if it were me, I would go for the Keio Plaza. I have stayed there before and really enjoyed it. Plus it's relatively more convenient to the station and local shops/restaurants. It's a good balance when considering all the others and I think it will be in your price range.
Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 08:01 AM
Original Poster

Thank for the recommendations i have checked the prices of the park hyatt and the cheapest is 470 usd i think its a little overmy budget

so the better is the keio international ? right keep it coming

thanks again

brian
Old Apr 26th, 2004, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

any more recommendations?????
Old Apr 26th, 2004, 02:04 PM

babiron - thanks for your thoughts. what do you think of the palace hotel? that's where i'm currently booked, but maybe i should switch to keio?