hotel near Tokyo Station

Search

hotel near Tokyo Station

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2009, 12:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hotel near Tokyo Station

Arrive in Narita on Nov 9 and traveling to Kyoto on the 10th. I'm looking for a hotel near Tokyo Station for an overnight stay so we can catch the train the following morning, probably after rush hour & to sleep in. So far the closest I've seen is the Yaesu Terminal Hotel. Really location and clean hotel is what I'm looking for just a good nights sleep. Any others I'm missing? Thank U
Old May 5th, 2009, 04:40 PM

Another option which is what I did recently - I took the Narita Express - I think every other one goes direct or maybe more - to Shinagawa. The Shinkansen to Kyoto stops at Shinagawa. I stayed at the Toyoko Inn there which is about two blocks from the station entrance. There are a couple of other hotels around there as well. Shinagawa is not as big or busy as Tokyo Station.
Old May 5th, 2009, 04:57 PM

We stayed at the Le Meridien Pacific right across from the Shinagawa station. We arrived from Narita on the train, and took the Shinkansen to Kyoto from Shinagawa. Hotel was very nice. Breakfast by the koi pond/gardens/waterfall was wonderful. Can't wait to go back.
Old May 5th, 2009, 11:09 PM

You can get to Shinagawa on an airport limo bus that stops at several hotels. As the others have mentioned there are several hotels in walking distance from JR Shinagawa station (or have shuttles, some are uphill from the station)

Also, Shinagawa is a station where you can do the exchange to get a JR Pass.
Old May 6th, 2009, 04:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your reples! I saw the Shinkansen stopped at Shinagawa as well and really thought about this. Would the train be full after leaving Tokyo St? We'll have our luggage! One reason for catching the train at Tokyo St was to get good seats with our luggage.
Old May 6th, 2009, 05:00 AM

We used a lot of trains at Shinagawa, and never had a crowd problem. We had 1st class tickets on the long distance Shinkansens, so there was always plenty of room. Don't know about 2nd class, but the station platform for the Shinkansens was not crowded. Loved Kyoto, and can't wait to return. Also some friends of ours arrived directly at the Le Meridien Shinagawa on the airport limo bus.
Old May 6th, 2009, 05:44 AM

The train is very unlikely to be full in early November. Also, you must buy your ticket for the Shinkansen before you get on the train, and you won't be able to buy a ticket for a particular train if it's full.

Shinagawa is also about 100 times easier to to navigate than is Tokyo station.

The nicest hotel in Shinagawa is the InterContinental Strings hotel, which is adjacent to the station and on the Shinkansen side of the station.
Old May 6th, 2009, 02:34 PM

How much luggage are you taking with you? You should really make use of the baggage delivery service if you can. You will thank me for this suggestion if you are taking more than one small bag on the trains.

The Shinkansen will have an overhead rack which will fit a small bag and there is a space behind the last row of seats that will fit a couple of bags but there is no baggage storage area like on the Euro trains. There is also no baggage car and you have to carry your bags through the stations and up to the platforms by yourself as their are no porters.

Read here for details

http://www.japanrail.com/JR_luggage.html

Aloha!
Old May 6th, 2009, 04:39 PM
Original Poster

We plan on having 1 large suitcase each and yes I've heard of the last row space which is why I was thinking of getting on at Tokyo St. How fast is the delivery of the bags? same day? Everything will be in the suitcases so if it takes a day or more it wouldn't really work out. What time is rush hour? 3p-6p & 6a-9a? We arrive at Narita at 3p, NEX to Tokyo St should be fine I assume or Airport Bus to Shinagawa if we go that route.
Old May 7th, 2009, 05:41 PM

If you take the NEx then you'd just go to Shinagawa, not Tokyo, if you are staying in Tokyo. When you get your NEx tix you can book the shinkansen tickets and/or reserved seats. Rush hour could affect the bus but not the NEx train to Shinagawa. I'd still go with the bus.

If you can't lift the bag over your head then you probably shouldn't take it on the train. What you can do is pack stuff for a couple of nights and just carry that one small bag to Kyoto until your shipped bags arrive.