tokyo hotel near train station

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29th, 2005, 02:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are trevelling to Kyoto for 5 days next June arrving into KIX and departing in the evening from NRT after one day and night in Tokyo. Can you recommend a nice hotel convenient to our arrival from Kyoto by shinkansen as well as make the rail connection to Narita easy ? We have no specific plans for Tokyo - plan to visit with friends for the day.Thanks. KW
Old Aug 29th, 2005, 07:13 PM
Original Poster

Does the shinkansen which goes from Kyoto to Tokyo arrive into the same station from which a Narita express goes to NRT ? What part of Tokyo is this area called, and are there hotels nearby in the under $300 category you can recommend ? Thanks.
Old Aug 29th, 2005, 07:56 PM

Tokyo station is the terminal station on the shinkansen line that travels to/from Kyoto. All of the Narita Express trains use that same station.

The area is Chiyoda-ku, I think, but priceline shows the areas around Tokyo station as "Chiyoda-ku & Chuo-ku". The priceline map actually shows Tokyo station and other rail stations. Tokyo station is near the Imperial Palace and a hotel would definitely advertise as being nearby either of those, if they were.

Shinagawa station is also on the shinkansent line from Kyoto. If you are not using a JR Pass (sounds like you don't need one) then most of the Nozomi shinkansen trains stop at Shinagawa. If you are using a JR Pass then you may have to change trains (from Hikari to Kodama) but maybe not.

Shinagawa station is also used by some Narita Express trains.

There are several tourist hotels near Shinagawa station. You should be able to get a better price there. Also, you would be able to use the airport bus from the hotel right to NRT. Those hotels have shuttles to/from Shinagawa station as the hotels (mostly) are up a hill from the station. Might be difficult finding the shuttle up, though. I stayed in one of those, New Takanawa or something, courtesy of Japan Airlines. It was fine if you are coming in for a night and going to the airport. This area is known as Shinagawa-ku.
Old Aug 29th, 2005, 10:48 PM

Bonjour Okoshi,

You should ask your friends which area will be more convenient for them to meet you and take you around before deciding between Shinagawa and Tokyo stations areas. Btw, areas directly around Tokyo station are better known as "Marunouchi" (palace side), "Yaesu", "Yurakucho" and "Ginza". Chiyoda and Chuo cover a rather vaster zone ("ku" means something like town inside a city).

Depending on where your friends live or have to connect to go downtown, you might also consider Ueno, from where you can take the Keisei Skyliner to Narita.
Old Aug 30th, 2005, 07:41 AM
Original Poster

Yes I will be checking with my friends where they suggest we meet. They are coming from Tachikawa City.

Does the shinkansen (Nozomi ) allow you to disembark in Nagoya after leaving Kyoto, and get back on a later train, onto to Tokyo ?

Which train station in Tokyo does the Nozomi arrive into ? I have been to JR page but could not find this information . Thanks.
Old Aug 30th, 2005, 08:23 AM

Yes on the stop in Nagoya. You would probably pay an extra 700 yen for the reserved seat on the second leg, if you get reserved seats (recommended). japan-guide.com has a good description of fares, and how to use them for enroute stopovers.

Tokyo station is the terminal station on the shinkansen line that travels from Kyoto. By that I meant that ALL shinkansen trains coming from Kyoto will stop at Tokyo station, including the Nozomi trains. Tokyo is the end of the line.
Old Aug 30th, 2005, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

Does the Nozomi stop at Shibuya, Shinjiku, etc onto Tokyo station, its terminus ? Thanks.
Old Aug 30th, 2005, 09:38 AM

It seems most of, if not all, Nozomi stop at Shinagawa. Shinjuku is not on the line at all.
Old Aug 30th, 2005, 09:47 AM

Oh, sorry I mis-read your post. You said Shibuya and not Shinagawa. No Shibuya is not on the Shinkansen Line either. Is that your friend who suggested to meet at one of those two places? I understand if they are coming from Tachikawa, Shinjuku is directly on the train line they will be taking (Chuo-Line) but Chuo-line goes on to Tokyo so 20 minutes more train ride for your friends would spare you a trouble of taking another train to get to Shibuya or Shinjuku.
Old Aug 30th, 2005, 03:08 PM
Original Poster

I am looking at Ginza to lodge for one night because I thought it would be convenient to the Tokyo train station. Should I consider other options ?

My goal is to be close to the Tokyo train station from which we will disembark the Nozomi from Kyoto, as well as be able to board the Narita Express to NRT for return flight on United the following eveing at 6PM.

Would being in Shinjiku, Ueno , or Shibuya make a big difference in these logistics ? Thanks.
Old Aug 30th, 2005, 03:48 PM

JR Shinjuku and Shibuya stations are served by the Narita Express though somewhat less frequently than Tokyo station. They are not shinkansen stations. The logistics would require connecting to a local train after getting off the shinkansen at Shinagawa or Tokyo. Not a big deal if you had your luggage delivered ahead of you and/or you are traveling light.

You could also consider taking an airport bus from the hotel. That would ease the logistics.
Old Aug 30th, 2005, 06:17 PM

> Would being in Shinjiku, Ueno , or
> Shibuya make a big difference in these
> logistics ?

From Ueno you can take the Keisei Skyliner to Narita; it's about as fast as the Narita Express and cheaper.
Old Aug 30th, 2005, 08:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info everybody. You have answered my questions. I will have more again soon.