Hong Kong too crowded?

Search

Hong Kong too crowded?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29th, 2003, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hong Kong too crowded?

I'm considering going to Hong Kong this January, and am wondering how crowded the city is. I work in downtown Chicago, so I'm no stranger to crowds and packed subway trains. However, shuffling along a sidewalk shoulder-to-shoulder with everyone else makes me feel claustrophobic. Should I be concerned?
Old Sep 29th, 2003, 01:25 PM

Central parts of Hong Kong are very busy. But if you work in Chicago is won't come as a shock. It really is up to you, Hong Kong is a thriving busy place, if you want to get away from crowds then I guess you have to keep away from such busy places. Your choice really.
Old Sep 29th, 2003, 01:54 PM

This is a tough question -- and make no mistake, Hong Kong and Chicago are two of my favorite cities.

Some parts of Hong Kong, at certain times of day, have an amazing amount of people and activity crammed into a small space -- the street markets in Kowloon, for example (Night Market, Ladies Market, etc.). Most of the streets, though, are just crowded as any city might be. The subway is certainly no worse than New York or Paris or Chicago; in fact, because the HK subway is so much more modern than the others, it really is a lot smoother.

Certainly one of the charms of Hong Kong is its intensity -- sights, sounds, smells around every corner -- and that intensity would likely not appeal to people who don't enjoy cities. But HK does make it easy and joyful to escape -- places like Kowloon< Hong Kong, and Victoria Parks are all wonderful and close to where you're like to be.
Old Sep 30th, 2003, 07:02 AM

I'm planning to go HK this October with my 3 year old. Will we have fun? I love to window shop and look around, with a 3 year old, is it gonna be hard to walk around with the crowds? any tips?
Old Oct 1st, 2003, 10:38 AM

Yes, HK does get crowded but really no worse than NY, Chicago, Madrid or any other large cities.
Old Oct 9th, 2003, 12:17 PM

HK is generally a crowded place, but it also depends on the time of day.

For example:

In general if you travel on public transport during rush hour (7-9am, 4-6pm approx.), it can be pretty bad.

Lunch hour (usually 1-2pm) in office areas such as Central, Wanchai, Tsim Sha Tsui is bad, streets are packed and it might be hard to get a table in restaurants.

Many local people take little excursions over the weekend, to the beach or New Territories or outlying Islands.

So, to avoid packed streets, try:
go shopping during office hours, but bear in mind high school kids get out of school around 3pm and hang out in shopping areas.

Take excursions to beaches, outlying islands etc on a weekday.

Eat lunch before 1pm or after 2pm.

Just some ideas...

Hope you have fun!
Old Oct 9th, 2003, 07:02 PM

stay home and miss it because it is crowded???? its one of the most fabulous cities on earth and worth every inconvenience.....