Reload this Page >

Hong Kong Suit Shopping

Search

Hong Kong Suit Shopping

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 09:12 PM
Chris

Hong Kong Suit Shopping

I’ve heard that Hong Kong has highly skilled tailors and very good prices on business clothing. I am considering a trip to Hong Kong to purchase a new wardrobe. Has anyone done this and if so: Is this option cost effective (I will probably use frequent flyer miles or wait until there’s a great deal on airfare)? What type of prices will I find? Can you recommend a reputable shop? I am interested in hearing about anyone’s good or bad experiences. If Hong Kong isn’t the best place can you suggest another option?<BR><BR>Thanks in advance for your insight!<BR><BR>Chris<BR>

Old Dec 18th, 2002, 04:51 PM
vt

Tailor shops are at every corner in HK.Cost to make suit is anywhere from 100 to ... depend on the material and workmanship.You should get very good suit made for 400-600 US,if you order multiple at the same time,you should ask for discount and always bargain.I've used House Tailor in NewWorld Center and have very good result.Good shops make you come back for multiple fittings so find one near your hotel would be more convenience.Eventhough they advertise that suit can be made in 24 hrs,don't rush them and you will have a better fitting suit.<BR>I had about 5 suits made so far and find it cheaper and better to have them made.You should research on material,pattern and colors you like and have some idea before you go because once you step in one of these shops you will be overwhelm with so many choices and lastly clip pictures off magazine on the style you like then show them what you like.<BR>Bankok prices are substantial less than HK but the workmanship is not as good,just the shop that I used,can't speak for all of them.<BR>Good luck.

Old Dec 27th, 2002, 02:52 AM
Kevin

How about Prince Hotel??

Old Dec 27th, 2002, 06:41 AM
Kathie

Hong Kong is one option, but also consider Singapore. We found the best quality tailoring in SIngapore. <BR><BR>Wherever you choose, do make sure you know what you want - you'll have more choices than you ever thought possible. Shop at home, look at fabrics and styles, and notice tiny details - you'll be asked to make choices on every detail. And don't rush it. You should have 3 - 5 fittings to make your suits perfect.

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 05:33 PM
Leslie

We were in Hong Kong in September 2002. My husband had 2 very nice suits made at &quot;A Timeless Tailor&quot; located inside the shopping area of the Sheraton Hotel in Kowloon, right across the street from the Peninsula Hotel. Great quality material and great suits for about $335 each. You need at least 3 fittings and allow for the extra time. This is a Chinese tailor and the quality was excellent. It appeared that the &quot;hole in the wall&quot; places down the alleys and people peddling the &quot;2 suits for $100 deal&quot; along the streets would be getting exactly what you paid for. I had fantastic clothes made in Hong Kong 30 years ago and prices were much more reasonable then. The days of the $50 quality suit are long gone; however you can still get great custom suits made for about 1/3 of what you would pay to have them made in the U.S. Good luck, and enjoy Hong Kong!!!