Tailor on Hong Kong Isand

May 17th, 2004, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

Tailor on Hong Kong Isand

We will be staying at the Mandarin Oriental Hotel on Hong Kong Island. I would appreciate the recommendation of a tailor close to this hotel. We used a great tailor, Barton Kaye on Kowloon last time we were in HK, but would like the convenience of a great tailor on HK Island. My husband would like to have a suit made.
Thank you for any names.
May 18th, 2004, 06:08 AM

I don't know any on Hong Kong Island but if you have a tailor you have used and liked, I would contact them and see if they are willing to send a tailor to your hotel with swatches and designs. If your husband's measurements have not changed this should mean only one fitting is necessary, and you may be able to pre-order some of this ahead of time by e-mail, i.e. if he knows the kind of suit he wants and the materials and/or color. Ideally he could pick everything out beforehand and just have a final fitting when he arrives.

Becaues of the high costs of rent on Hong Kong Island, most tailors are located in Kowloon, however I believe there may be one or two in the shopping center attached to your hotel.
May 18th, 2004, 09:46 AM

For shirts, you will not do better than David's Shirts. They have an outlet in the Mandarin, on the mezzanine floor. The selection is nearly as good as in their main store in TST, and Jimmy (who runs the M.O. shop) does a fine job in the fitting. Quality stuff.

I am told that H Baromon in the Galleria (a block from the Mandarin) does excellent work on suits. I use WW Chan in TST and would certainly recommend them (ask for Patrick Chu), but Baromon certainly has the credentials.
May 18th, 2004, 10:59 AM

IMHO I would stick to that great tailor. Especially since he's been tried and tested already and you're satisfied with his service.

Anyway, the islands aren't that far apart. The MTR makes the trip pretty convenient if its the road traffic you're trying to avoid. That time would be worth it for a great fitting suit anytime. =)
Sep 12th, 2004, 07:02 AM

James Cheng in the Mandarin Oriental shopping arcade - excellent quality and nothing more conveniant!