Hong Kong Suggestions?

Old Jul 27th, 2004, 06:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hong Kong Suggestions?

I am thinking of buying an All-Asia airfare pass which requires that all flights go through Hong Kong. As I will mostly be spending time in Beijing and Tokyo, I was wondering if I should just spend my time in Hong Kong at the airport, or if there are things worth seeing there. Any recommendations? Thanks!
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 07:10 PM

Before you buy the CX Asia pass, make sure you know that CX only has a few flights PER WEEK to PEK. Check availability before buying that pass.

As far as HKG is concerned, you can always ride the Airport Express train or various Cityflyer buses to town. There's really not much close to the airport. There's a medium-sized shopping mall at Tung Chung, and from there, you can also take a bus to the Po Lin Monastery and the big buddha statue. But that trip will take half a day.

There's also ferry service from the Hong Kong airport to Macau, as well as Shenzhen in China. You may consider those if you have a whole day (or more). Don't need visa for Macau, but a trip to Shenzhen from Hong Kong will use up a visa entry to China.
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 10:03 PM

Check out the Hong Kong destination guide here on Fodors...there's a "great itineraries" link that gives you good info as to what can be seen given specific timeframes and for a brief visit you won't have enough time to do much more.

Info is decent and pretty accurate based on my experience.

BTW, the CX lounges at HKG are pretty cool...not sure whether or not you have One World status or what class of service ticket you're looking at, but if you just have a few hours to kill hanging out and enjoying drinks and snacks in the Wing and/or Pier is not at all a bad way to go.
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 05:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your helpful and informative responses. I will definitely check out everything you mentioned. Thanks!
Old Jul 29th, 2004, 10:35 AM

Hong Kong is great and you must spend time there. It is a short train ride (23-28 minutes) Spend a day and night at least and go up on the Peak, go shopping in Kowloon, take the famous ferry, go to La Qua Fo (spelling incorrect)--a bunch of bars with international flare and people on the street. ride the subways, etc. Yes, going to Asia without going to Hong Kong is like going to Newark, NJ for 3 weeks and not taking the train over to NYC. JMHO
Old Jul 29th, 2004, 11:41 AM

To have acces to the Wing/Pier in HKG you need to fly on business or first class ticket with one of the OW airlines or have at least Sapphire or Emerald status with OneWorld Alliance.

It is a great way to kill few hours at the airport especially the first class part of the lounges (F ticket or Emerald status). The business lounge is not too shabby either but the F lounge is just wonderful.

Anyway, I agree with a post above. Hong Kong is a must. At least 2 days, maybe more. I did 7 days just recently and it wasn't enough. Going back in few weeks. The city became one of my favorites(Chicago and London are the other ones). Nothing like it anywhere else. You would be denying yourself a great experience if you chose not to see Hong Kong.
Old Jul 29th, 2004, 04:25 PM

Agree with above comments..Hong Kong is my favourite city anywhere...don't miss it. I think Subway Scoundrel is referring to Lan Kwai Fong.Have a great time!
Old Jul 29th, 2004, 05:06 PM

Thanks Peteralan. I can never remember how it is spelled but go there everytime I am in HK. There is a favorite Thai resturant (yes, most people don't eat there at LKF) that is in that little section to right as you walk up the hill. Go see the young and hip while drinking asian beers and drinks. The Australian bar at the top on the corner is one of my favorites. After a certain time, people are standing on the street Then roll over to the English pub late night and watch Premiership football for a nightcap. Nothing like it...........
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 09:29 PM
Original Poster

Wow, thanks for all your great thoughts and suggestions! You have convinced me to leave the airport and go exploring. I will probably stay a few nights before my flight back. Thank you so much for sharing your experiences.
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 02:44 AM

I believe Subway Scoundrel is referring to either Thai Lemongrass or Wyndham Street Thai, both of which are in the Lan Kwai Fong bar and restaurant area on Hong Kong Island. A few blocks from the Star Ferry piers and the Central metro stop. Lots of expat bankers and lawyers, although a fairly young crowd. Lemongrass is excellent. There are others in the area that I would also recommend:

Thai Lemongrass
3/F California Tower
30-32 D'Aguilar Street
Lan Kwai Fong
Tel: 29051688

WYNDHAM STREET THAI
G/F, 38 Wyndham Street, Central
TEL: 2869 6216

INDOCHINE 1929
California Tower
Lan Kwai Fong, 2nd Floor
Phone 2869-7399

Vietnamese-/French

VA BENE
G/F, 58-62 D'Aguilar Street, Lan Kwai Fong area,
Central, Hong Kong
TEL: 2845 5577

Italian.

ZONA ROSA
2/F, 1 Lan Kwai Fong, Central
TEL: 2801 5885

Mexican.

As you may be there for lunch on your travel days, you might want to consider dim sum. Some suggestions are:

ZEN
The Mall at Pacific Place, 88 Queensway, Central
Phone: 2845-4555

Modern deco. No carts. English menus.

City Hall Chinese Restaurant.
2/F, Low Block
City Hall, Central
Tel: 2521 1303

This restaurant is on the third floor of City Hall in Central (very close to the Star Ferry) and has a very nice harbour view. They have carts, and is one of the few places left which uses dim sum carts. No English menu as I recall. Good food and a good view of the harbour. Very popular with local Hong Kongers. Not expensive by Hong Kong standards.

Metropol Restaurant
4th Floor, United Centre
95 Queensway, Admiralty
Tel: 2865 1988

Also has the carts. Good food and good value. Very crowded at lunch on workdays, you may need a reservation. No view. http://www.heichinrou.com
United Centre is across the street from Pacific Place shopping center, so easy to reach by bus or subway.

Get a good street and subway map of Hong Kong Island (esp the Central, Admiralty and Wan Chai districts) and of the Tsim Sha Tsui area of Kowloon.