Hong Kong to Shenzhen to Shanghai

Old Jun 29th, 2006, 12:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hong Kong to Shenzhen to Shanghai

Hi:
I'm taking my brother to Shanghai for his 50th birthday for the Chinese Grand Prix. As I am using Continental miles we are flying from Los Angeles in and out of Hong Kong. I understand it is less expensive to fly from Shenzhen to Shanghai. My questions are: if this is so is it worth it to spend our last night before leaving for Shanghai in Shenzhen (as opposed to rushing to the Shenzhen Airport in the morning); if so, is there a good place to stay in Shenzhen and can you make a day of it there; additionally, should I book our plane ticket in advance (from Los Angeles) or can we safely get tickets in Hong Kong, and for a lower price; lastly can you fly out of Shenzhen and then back into Hong Kong (so we can check our bags prior to our evening flight home and go into Hong Kong for the day.)
Thank you for indulging my many questions. I appreciate any advice that can be given.
Sincerely,
Bruce
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 02:06 AM
Original Poster

One more thing: what is the easiest way to get to Shenzhen from Hong Kong?
Thanks again,
Bruce
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 06:34 AM

There are many hotels in Shenzhen, and they're cheaper than those in Hong Kong. Whether it's worth the hassle of switching hotel for one night, I am not so sure. You can get to SZX early in the morning by coaches from Hong Kong with no problem.

There are mainly 3 things to do in Shenzhen that's worth people's time. Eat, buy fake goods, and "adult entertainment". Don't know if those things interest you. [By "eat", I mean you can get great Chinese food at perhaps half the price of Hong Kong.] You can also marvel at the huge shopping malls and tall office buildings they're building up there too.

Easiest way to get from Hong Kong to SZX is by Turbojet ferry. It's not very frequent and most expensive, but you avoid the land border crossings. It goes directly to the airport which is away from town. Otherwise, there are direct buses from multiple origins in Hong Kong to SZX.
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 06:54 AM

The hotel of SHENGZHEN is cheap than HONGKONG.
Everything is very expensive in HONGKONG

Free travel ebooks
http://www.ebooklobby.com/
Old Jul 2nd, 2006, 04:44 AM

outtabrooklyn:
It is a good idea to go to Shenzhen a day earlier before leaving for Shanghai.
There is an interesting museum you might like to explore: Minsk Aircraft Carrier World & the War & Peace park. This Minsk was built in the Soviet Union. I am sure you can find more information if you google shenzhen.
As in previous posts, Shenzhen prices are much lower than HK in food, cothes,etc.
If you don't care to take the ferry from HK to Shenzhen, taking the underground MTR and then the KCR (rail) is quick and easy, and you can then take a shuttle bus from the rail terminal to the airport (20rmb).
Old Jul 3rd, 2006, 08:57 PM
Original Poster

Great advice everyone. Thank you very much.
Bruce
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 10:22 AM

I stayed 1 night in Shenzhen several yrs ago and went to an amusement park (that may not be the right word for this place since it's for adults as much as kids).

This place is like a huge park with different ethnic shops, structures, and restuarants from various regions of China. I got there late and didn't get to walk around much. But the night show alone was spectacular...lots of performers, lights, dancing, drums, music....

The set is outdoors and there were easily thousands in the audience (both locals and foreigners). This is no tourist rip-off type of show but a full production. I wish I remember the name of this place, but hope someone here can help.