Hong Kong hotel near airport?

Aug 17th, 2005, 02:00 PM
Original Poster

Hong Kong hotel near airport?

Off to HK, BKK and Angkor Wat on the second honeymoon trip in late October. Starting with two nights in HK at the Interconti Kowloon. But on the way back from Thailand we arrive at 8pm at Chep Lap Kok, and have to catch our UA flight the next morning at noon. So I don't see the point of spending a lot of cash on a superior hotel. I'd stay at the Regal Airport Hotel but it's almost US$300 that night. Anyone have experience with the HK Gold Coast Hotel, due north of the airport? It looks closer than Kowloon as the crow flies, but not sure if it's a pain or expensive to get to given its remote location. Is this a good plan or should we just go back to Kowloon? Many thanks.
Aug 17th, 2005, 06:34 PM

I live in Hong Kong. IMO the Gold Coast Hotel would not be a good choice, as traffic getting down Castle Peak road toward the highway to the airport can be quite heavy in the mornings, and the nearest MTR station at Tseun Wan would be at least 15-20 minutes from the hotel with no traffic, and then you have 5 stops to get to the Airport Express station. There may be a ferry to the airport from the area, but I don't know how often it runs, the hotel may be able to tell you. If there is a ferry, then that would be a good option. Otherwise, I think it would end up taking you much longer than to get to the airport from there than going from Kowloon or Hong Kong side.

With the train or taxi, getting to the airport takes less than 30 minutes from downtown Kowloon or Hong Kong side. You only need to be at the airport about 2 hours before your flight, so with a Noon departure, you don't have to leave for the airport until sometime between 9 and 9:30 am. You could easily stay in Hong Kong, esp if you stay on the Kowloon side or on the Hong Kong side near to the train station.

Unfortunately UA does not allow early check-in, or I would suggest that you check-in for your UA flight as soon as you arrive the night before on your 8 pm flight. At a minimum, check your large bags at the airport, and just take carry on overnight bags with you to whatever hotel you end up at. There are checked baggage facilities located in the main arrivals hall (called the Meeters and Greeters Hall). It will cost you about US$6 a bag and is well worth not having to drag big bags downtown with you. The website for Hong Kong airport is hongkongairport.com., for left baggage see http://www.hongkongairport.com/eng/a...gage.html#left

Do check with UA that they won't allow early check-in, most US carriers do not allow it for security reasons, but you never know.

Also consider the Salisbury Road YMCA for the night, less expensive than the Interconti, same great view.

Aug 17th, 2005, 07:48 PM

I don't know their rates and availability, but the new alternatives to the Regal Airport are the two hotels at Disneyland Hong Kong.
Aug 18th, 2005, 07:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, folks, that's exactly what I needed to know! I'll check D-Land or stick to Kowloon (I don't know what my wife would think of the Y, though)
Aug 18th, 2005, 08:57 AM

The most convenient hotel in the city for going to/from the airport is the new Four Seasons, which is in the same complex as the Airport Express Hong Kong station. From their website, it seems they're taking reservations for arrival 9/8/05 and onwards. Rooms from HK$3,200, or just over US$400. Probably a little more than what you're paying for the InterContinental...

BTW, the YMCA Salisbury is a decent hotel. And there are plenty of other hotels in Tsimshatsui or Central for about <$150.

Another decent deal is to bid on Priceline for Tsim Sha Tsui 5* (most people get the Sheraton for US$100 + tax/fees), or West Hong Kong Island 5* (most get the JW Marriott for US$120 + tax/fees.) Both good deals.
Aug 18th, 2005, 01:39 PM
Original Poster

Since you two are helpful experts on HK, can you recommend a nice spot for a birthday dinner for my wife? We love Chinese (but I prefer the other regional Chinese cuisines over Cantonese), and moderately expensive is OK (under US$200 for both of us, though). A view would be nice, and I prefer restaurants that are not in hotels. We're from S.F. so our Chinese tastebuds are pretty well honed! Finally, my wife likes the hip places, whereas I'm more interested in good food. Hutong and Veda both mentioned here, any comments? Many thanks.
Aug 18th, 2005, 03:52 PM

Hehehe... I know nothing about US$100 Chinese food. I only know about those <HK$100 deals.
Aug 18th, 2005, 07:41 PM

In Hong Kong, you really don't want to rule out hotel restaurants, because some of the best ones happen to be located in hotels (true for Asia generally). Alan Ducasse's new restaurant for one, not to mention Felix and Vong. This is doubly so for Hong Kong if you want a view. I know this is not the case in the US, but is something this is very much the case in Asia.

I have some suggestions below. To be honest, I would say that without wine or drinks, I think these would be in your budget, but don't hold me to it. The websites may show price lists, or a guide book may give ranges.

1. Hutong is a good choice as a compromise to you both hip, good food, not in a hotel, great view.

2. Another great favorite of mine is Yu, for seafood prepared in Asian and European styles, with a great view:

Yu
Intercontinental Hotel
18 Salisbury Road
Kowloon
852 2721 1211
http://hongkong-ic.dining.interconti...onic/di04.html

3. A very good Shanghai place is Ye Shanghai, which has two outlets, one on Hong Kong Island and one on the Kowloon side. The Pacific Place one is sleek and modern, the Marco Polo Hotel one is more pre-war Shanghai:

88 Queensway, One Pacific Place, Hong Kong, 852-2918-9833

6/F Marco Polo Hong Kong Hotel, Harbour City, Kowloon 852- 2376 3322.

No view, although there is a bit of a street view in the Pacific Place one.

4. Another good Shanghai restaurant, which is a bit more elegant and old-Shanghai is in the Ritz-Carlton:

Shanghai Shanghai
Ritz-Carlton
3 Connaught Rd
Central
852-2869-0328
No view.

5. A perennial favorite Asian-fusion that is hip with a great view (sorry also in a hotel) is ToTT's in Causeway Bay:

ToTT's Asian Bar and Grill
The Excelsior Hotel
281 Gloucester Rd,
Causeway Bay
34th floor
852-2837-6786
http://www.mandarinoriental

5. For really hip and trendy, you may want to try one of the restaurants in Jia, in the Stark-designed hotel, also in Causeway Bay. Both restaurants are Aian fusion, so not strictly Chinese. I have only eaten at Opia, which I thought was very good, if slightly full of itself (but hey, this is Hong Kong.)

Opia
Y's
Hotel Jia
1 - 5 Irving Street
Causeway Bay
852-3196-3000

6. Finally, there are any number of "private kitchens" where you have to call a day or so ahead to make a booking, and they have a set menu for the day. These have become very popular over the last few years (this is a phenomena that sprang up when I was living away from Hong Kong over the last 4 years). Some are BYOB so do call and ask, some have a corkage fee. Their prices tend to be quite reasonable.

Xi Yan
3/F Hang Wai Commerical Building
231-233 Queens Road East, Wanchai
Hong Kong
Tel: (852) 9020 9196

I think this is the one which started the "private kitchen" trend. Allegedly, they have a 2 month waiting list, but I have been back about 5 weeks now and got in with some friends with a call about 3 days before, maybe a fluke. Is excellent, mostly Sichuan-based, but other Chinese and even European dishes appear on the menu. It is on a busy road in a fairly boring part of Wanchai, in a run-down building and has absolutely no view. The restaurant itself has a nice ambience and has a nice decor. The food is wonderful. This is a BYOB.

There are many "private kitchens" in the Soho area, Two other very good ones are Tribute on Elgin Street (has a great wine list) and Ingredients on Gough Street (neither of which are Chinese, but worth a trip if you are interested in trying them, generally serving Continental or a fusion of Asian and Continental, up to the chef that night).

Tribute
13 Elgin Street
Central
852-2135-664
tribute.com.hk

Their prix fixe dinner is HK$380 (about US$48) and is very good value.

Ingredients
43 Gough Street
Central
852-2544-5133

Finally, at the Lower-end of the "private kitchen" budget, but also very much the lower-end of the ambience scale would be Mum Chua's. This type of private kitchen used to be illegal, in the sense that they did not have a restaurant license and now do, but it serves great, spicy, cheap food. The one below is one of my favorites. The may or may not be a menu that day, it may or may not be in English. This is right in the heart of the ex-pat bar district, so easy to find, and you can have a drink before or after:

Mum Chau's Sichuan Kitchen
5th Floor, 37 D'Aguilar Street
Lan Kwai Fong HK,
Telephone: 2522 0338

There are lots of these lower-end private kitchens in Lan Kwai Fong, Soho, Wan Chai and Causeway Bay (and probably Kowloon), ask at your hotel.

Aug 22nd, 2005, 12:41 PM
Original Poster

Wow, Cic, thanks for all the helpful info. You should be writing for Fodor's!
Aug 23rd, 2005, 07:57 PM

I heartily second Cicerone's suggestion of ToTT's. Excellent food and service, great views and a fun/funky atmosphere that definitely qualifies as hip.

If you search for ToTT in this forum you'll find a brief review I wrote after my first (of many after several trips to Hong Kong) meal there.

The Excelsior (in which ToTTs is located) is also just down the street from my favorite Hong Kong Foot Massage establishment - Big Bucket