Layover for 2 nights Hong Kong

Old Feb 8th, 2007, 01:55 PM
ggg
Original Poster

Layover for 2 nights Hong Kong

My family are stopping over in Hong Kong en route to Europe for 2 nights in April this year. We arrive in HK 6pm after a 7hr flight from Australia and we leave 2 days later at 7.30am for an international flight which will mean arriving at the airport at least 2 hrs before. We have 2 children aged 12 and 9. We were hoping to stay at the Peninsula for a treat but think it may be too hard getting to the airport on our last day. What sort of time do we need to allow to get to the airport? Are we better off staying at the Hong Kong airport hotel and visiting the city from there?
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 02:01 PM

Stay in the city.

You can check-in at the Airport Express station the night before or as early as 5:30a. First train 5:53a from Kowloon.

4 persons can get discount group tickets on the Airport Express.

But since you're staying at the Peninsula, you may want to use their Rolls Royce service to/from the airport.
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 03:03 PM

Your kids will love Ocean Park. Great rides included with admission so they can go on the rollercoster as often as they wish, excellent aquarium, pandas, and lots more, plus great scenery from the cable cars. The walk around Victoria Peak is a lovely way to refresh before and after endless flights. Plus all the rest Hong Kong has to offer. The pools at the Four Seasons are almost worth the cost of the rooms.
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 06:04 PM

There is NO point in staying at the airport hotel, you will miss Hong Kong entirely and will spend all your time on trains traveling into and out of Hong Kong. It is very easy to get to the airport, if you take a taxi or car, it will take you about 20-25 minutes from the Penn. There is virtually never traffic on the highway going to the airport, and you will not have any rush hour traffic in Hong Kong when departing for a 7:30 am flight. (There is really very little rush hour traffic to speak of in Hong Kong anyway so even on your arrival the trip by car will take about the same time.)

If the earliest departure on the Airport Express train is not until just before 6 am, I would not take it for a 7:30 am flight unless you have checked-in the night before. (The train will take about 23 minutes to get to the airport.) Only certain airlines allow check-in the night before, see the web-site below. To check-in the night before would take some organization on your part, not sure if that is possible with 2 kids, as I believe you would have to check in your luggage as well or it might not make it onto your flight. I personally would not try it, and would just take a taxi or car from the Penn at about 5:15 or 5:30 am.

For info on the Airport Express train and early check-in go to /www.hongkongairport.com/eng/aguide/airportex.html and http://www.mtr.com.hk/eng/train/ae_compli_e.htm#itci

I agree on the pools at the Four Seasons, but the Peninsula has a lovely pool as well and does has THE VIEW.
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 07:41 PM

Cicerone...You replied to my Zurich advice...mind meeting me back there for places to see and things to do for my friend and I in March? Sorry, don't know how to link to you for contact!
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 08:34 PM
ggg
Original Poster

Thank you to all for your replies. It looks as if its the Peninsula after all...what a shame!!! I was kind of hoping you guys would say that.