Hong Kong

Jun 14th, 2005, 06:39 AM
blu
Original Poster

Hong Kong

My husband and I would like to go to Hong Kong, but are fearful that it is way too expensive. Are there any hotels in Hong Kong to stay that are nice (clean) and inexpensive? Also, can you find places to eat that are cheap also? Any information on Hong Kong would be greatly appreciated.
Jun 14th, 2005, 07:09 AM

Hong Kong is one of the more expensive cities in Asia for hotels, but here's a rough guideline -

5* like Peninsula, Intercontinental - about $300-350 a night.
4* about $180, but you can get some on Priceline for $100-120. And many internet websites may have those at certain dates, also for around $100-120, maybe even less. But you have to look around.

3* - about $80-100. One notable one is the YMCA Salisbury. Excellent location, excellent reviews.

2* - there are several charity/non-profit runs hotels that have rooms for about $50-60; cheaper for shared bathrooms.

1* - Privately run "guesthouses" that occupy perhaps a few dozen rooms in an old mixed-use buildings. Location and safety vary. But you can get one for perhaps $20-25/person.

Tell us how much you want to spend, and when you're going. Prices and availability change a great deal depend on the dates. With the new Disneyland opening in September, hotels may be holding the rates firmer this fall than years past.

[Note that the star level is my own. There's no official star-ratings in Hong kong, and I believe my rating is as other people's...]

As for food, you can spend a fortune or you can eat cheap. There are noodle shops that sell small bowls of noodles for $1, or you can go to fast food places like Cafe de Coral to get a full dinner for about $4.

Many restaurants also have special deals in the afternoon hours and later in the evening. For example, I went to a decent hot-pot all-you-can-eat that charges about US$5 + 10% service charge, including all-you-can-drink Chinese beer.
Jun 14th, 2005, 08:03 AM

Hong Kong can be the most expensive place in the world, but unlike New York City or most expensive cities in Europe, it's easy to do it on the cheap but still have a great trip. One thing I can say with absolute certainty is that Hong Kong is not too expensive if you plan your trip well. Transportation is very cheap, attractions are well-priced, and the Salisbury YMCA, which I stayed in when I went in 2003, was a great hotel for about $100 a night. If you go slightly in the off-season, you can easily find something in the $100 to $150 a night range, which I consider quite affordable for a major city anywhere in the world. There are also very many great restaurants where you can eat reasonably (or even cheaply). We recommend several in our Hong Kong guide. I ate at Cafe Deco at the top of Victoria Peak for about $35 a person, including wine, and had a lovely meal with a great view. And if you like to shop there's a lot to buy at all price levels.
Jun 15th, 2005, 08:44 AM
blu
Original Poster

When is the best time of the year to go to Hong Kong?

Has anyone been to Bali? If so, could you tell me names of some hotels to stay at that would be under $100 a night. Also, is it cheap to eat there too?
Jun 15th, 2005, 09:03 AM

In my opinion, best time to visit Hong Kong is around Christmas. No rain, moderate temperature (around 50-70F). Many commerical highrises have Christmas lights, very festive.

Hotels are not too expensive around the holiday. Unfortunately, airfare is PEAK - highest you'll find of the whole year.
Jun 15th, 2005, 09:56 AM

I went to Hong Kong in mid-October, and the weather was perfect. Bali was hot at the same time but still fairly decent weather. I stayed at the Bali Spirit Hotel in Ubud and it was about $75 a night then (it's more expensive now). Food in Bali is cheap, unless you buy it at a big resort like the Four Seasons. My friends really like the Le Meridien, which is west of Kuta but not on a beach. It's perhaps a bit over $100 a night, but it depends on the time of the year.
Jun 15th, 2005, 11:59 AM
blu
Original Poster

What location is best to stay in Bali? Kuta or Ubid (sp?) or where. Would like to be close to a beach or on it, but still not pay alot for hotels. Where is best place to get native "souveniers?"
Jun 17th, 2005, 05:44 AM

I don't think Bali has the nicest beaches in the world, so that wasn't a high priority for me. The Le Meridien is reasonably close to Kuta if you wanted to come into town (I think it has a shuttle). The beaches in the Nusa Dua area are supposed to be the best, but this is where all the big resort hotels are, and it's a self-contained resort area, far-removed from actual Balinese culture and the people. There are probably other areas that have good beaches, but I can't speak to them personally.