Hon Kong Attire?

Aug 30th, 2002, 10:04 AM
Nance

Hon Kong Attire?

We will be in Hong Kong in early November and wonder about attire. Can we be casual with maybe one dressy outfit? Weather?
Thanks.

Aug 30th, 2002, 10:24 AM
Elizabeth

That sounds good -- especially if you want to go out to dinner at a nice restaurant. A great weather website I use a lot is www.wunderground.com.
there, you can find historical weather information for any date going back to about 1990, I think. Before my trips I key in the city and the dates I'll be there -- for the previous year or two. That gives me an rough idea, anyway, given that last year's weather might not be the same this year.

Come to think of it, I'll be in HK at the end of October -- here's what I found for 2000 (they didn't have listings for 2001):
Oct 22-high 89, low 77, rain
10/23 - same
10/24 - hi 89 low 76, no rain
10/25 - hi 90 low 80, no rain

Aug 30th, 2002, 01:40 PM
Marilyn

All of my trips to Hong Kong have been on business, yet I think of it as a very casual-dressing city, especially compared to Tokyo, for example. There is a large, young population that dresses in the trendiest, cutting-edge, off-the-rack fashion, which means that you will see everything and more. I suppose if you are staying in a very deluxe hotel and doing everything very first class, you might not want to be quite so casual.

The one important bit of advice I would give you is that no matter how hot it is outside, restaurants tend to be air-conditioned to a temperature suitable for hanging meat, so be sure to take a jacket or sweater with you.

Aug 31st, 2002, 07:04 AM
VERONICA

CASUAL WEAR. T-SHIRT AND JEANS ARE POPULAR ATTIRE.

Sep 2nd, 2002, 09:40 AM
Nance

Thanks so much for your help. Do you think the same will apply in Bangkok? Thanks, Nance

Sep 2nd, 2002, 09:56 AM
bob

bangkok is very casual except at a couple of the upscale hotels...the less the better as it is much hotter and much more humid than hong kong

Sep 2nd, 2002, 10:20 AM
Marilyn

Re: proper attire for Bangkok --
As a friend of mine put it, "Wear clothes that touch your body as little as possible." I like loose shirts and synthetic made-for-hot-weather pants that zip-off into shorts. Or a lightweight skirt. If you wear regular shorts, carry a pareo (sarong) with you to wrap around like a skirt when visiting the temples. T-shirts are really too hot for this sort of weather.

And yes, it's very casual unless you are going to an expensive hotel restaurant. But why would you when there is so much great inexpensive food?

Search this Thread