Hoi An in town or beach side?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21st, 2012, 02:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in Hoi An this June! I am thinking of changing our reservation to closer to town, any comments on this? We like gardens and a pool, any suggestions? Thanks!!
Old Feb 21st, 2012, 03:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why are you going to Hoi An? If it isn't for the beach, clearly you should be in town. I never bother with pools, so can't help with hotels, mine had a great view of the river and a bridge, but was rather down-market.
Old Feb 21st, 2012, 03:52 PM
Original Poster

Where did you stay?
Old Feb 21st, 2012, 04:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It was Huy Hoang I, but it was pretty basic in 2002 and 2004 when I stayed there, and this is what Lonely Planet says now:

While not the cleanest of the budget options, it certainly has the best location - with its terrace restaurant right above the river, next to the Cam Nam bridge.

I think you could find somewhere more comfortable and also in town, although maybe not with such good views. You could always eat at Brothers Cafe for the views. BTW, don't miss My Son, but go early or late to avoid the tours.
Old Feb 21st, 2012, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

thanks for the information!
Old Feb 21st, 2012, 05:19 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
We are at the Vinh Hung Riverside Resort. It is right on the river, no beach, but two nice pools and lovely grounds. It is about a five minute stroll into town so very convenient. We took a taxi out to the beach yesterday and was glad we are in town. Of course, if you r going for a beach u would enjoy the beach hotels. One word of caution, we r in a deluxe riverside room. Our patio is right on the river and the front door to our room is opposite the pool. noise from the boats can wake u early in the am if you r a light sleeper. Otherwise, I recommend these rooms.
Old Feb 21st, 2012, 05:57 PM

We stayed in town at the Life Heritage Resort. It had designer quality rooms and some great food experiences; try the seafood platter - but order 24 hours ahead. The pool was also great to lounge around and sip cool drinks. We were there in January and it was not beach weather. I heard the beaches were nice, but didn't get to visit them. We were too involved with Lunar New Year. Hoi An had GREAT food. We would certainly return there.
Old Feb 21st, 2012, 07:24 PM

We stayed at the beach, a 10-minute drive from town. We spent every day at the pool/beach, and went into town late in the afternoon for wandering, eating, shopping, etc. It was perfect.
Old Feb 22nd, 2012, 12:11 AM

The free bike tour of Cam Kim Island was a sunny, cheap, relaxed and interesting way to spend a morning away from the pushy tailors. We are a group of 3 students (22-23). After booking our places by email, we hired bikes ($1) and met our young student guides at 9am. We caught a local commuter boat across to Cam Kim Island which was scenic in its own right. On the island we visited local boat builders, bed weavers, noodle makers, rice paddies, local houses and a temple. It gave us our first and only real insight into the lives of local villages in Vietnam. Above all it was very relaxing biking around a scenic little island in the sun chatting away to our guides.
Old Feb 22nd, 2012, 03:56 AM

We stayed at Vinh Hung , also with in a room on the river, and loved it. I would make coffee and watch the morning river activities. Pool was nice, and very convient to walk into town, or take a ricksahw. I will say the food at the hotel was not very exciting...ie: the breakfast buffet...but it did the job. For dinner we just went into town. I don't have my notes with me, but Morning glory, and the place across the street were good. We did hire a driver one day and went to the pottery village (lots of fun), took a boat ride up the river for an hour or so. We really enjoied our time in Hoi An. As we drove by, it looked like the nice beach resorts were quite a ways from town. It just depends on what you are looking for.
Old Feb 22nd, 2012, 05:06 AM

We thought Morning Glory so good that we ate there twice. Across from it is the Cargo Club which is same ownership...more of a cafe with yummy desserts. Brothers at the other end of town was very good, but pricey. secret garden was also very good.
Old Feb 22nd, 2012, 07:26 AM

I also stayed at the Life Resort and loved it as my room was right on the river with an outside small patio to sit on and it also has a lovely pool. I could walk into town and there was a good laundry place right nearby that I could walk to and also many restaurants though the hotel chef is wonderful too. I went to look at the Victoria at the beach and was very happy I didn't stay there even though it's a beautiful resort too-the surf was quite choppy in Feb. anyway and I was happy to be close to town yet still have a resort feel and great pool.
Old Feb 22nd, 2012, 08:37 AM

The Victoria Hoi An is where we stayed and we loved it - including the excellent breakfast and fabulous pool!
Old Feb 22nd, 2012, 04:40 PM

Whether u stay beachside or in town really depends upon what u plan to do. If u want to spend time at the beach each day, then a beach resort is probably the place for,you. However, if u just want someplace to swim and relax a little each day, the hotels in town with pools should be fine. Wherever you choose, enjoy Hoi An. It's a charming place.
Old Feb 22nd, 2012, 06:38 PM

Actually, both staying hotel in town and near the beach are ok.
If you stay in hotel in town, you still reach the beach. It's just 4 kilometers (20 mins on bike or 7 mins on motorbike) from the town to the beach.

And staying in town is much more fun. It's easier for you to go out for shopping, bar, coffee shop or visit some ancient house, art galleries, museum, pagodas, temples...
Old Feb 24th, 2012, 03:37 PM
Original Poster

Oh my gosh! Thank you for all your replies, I will be considering all that has been passed on...I am sooo excited about this holiday! We have never been to SEA and on to Bali!