Vietnam Accomodations

Old May 28th, 2018, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vietnam Accomodations

Hi Gang -
Question, does anyone have recommendations for a central hotel in Saigon? Also, heading north to Danang and then staying in Hoi An. I've seen a couple of recommendations for Hoi An, but what about staying in An Bang at the beach? Is it easiest enough to get into Hoi An? Has anyone stayed in that area?
Thanks,
Tdiddy
Old May 28th, 2018, 10:04 AM

Central Saigon is changing rapidly, not least because of the building of the subway system which has surrounded many of the central 5* hotels with building works. Choose carefully.

If look for 5* places then the Caravelle, Sofitel, Intercontinental and Park Hyatt are all in v.central locations and are all very nice. However, the Rex is probably my favourite. Recently refurbished and upgraded but with a lot of history attached. Great rooftop bar with arguably the most expensive cocktails in Vietnam! The Majestic is on the river, also a historic place with a rooftop bar - a little further out but still walkable to most sights. Another great hotel is the Saigon Pullman, but that is probably a little too far out from the action and we did have a few problems getting taxis there.

If looking for somewhere simple, over the last few years we have usually stay at Ms Yang Homestay in district 3 . Very simple, but comfortable, clean and amazing hosts. Walkable to the Independence Palace, War Remnants museums and some of the best eating places in Saigon but a taxi ride from Dong Hoi etc.

An Bang is pleasnt enough beach around 4 -5 Kms outside of Hoi An town, so a taxi or moto ride. Mainly small hotels and homestays. I see little point in staying there unless you are looking for beach time. I would suggest staying somewhere on the periphery of teh old town as the crowds closer in can be a little oppressive at times ( mostly in the evenings and mornings when the tour groups descend from Da Nang) . Either side of midday, the crowds disappear - unfortunately it is the hottest part of the day!
Old May 30th, 2018, 08:30 PM

For your time in An Bang.
If you really love beach, you can try to stay at some homestay near An Bang beach as An Bang homestay or An Bang Beach Loft... Only after 3 to 5 minute walking, you can meet the sea. An Bang beach is more quiet then the beaches in Da Nang. It is used to occupy by the Western tourists and locals, but not too much. You totally can relax here. From An Bang you can do biking or go with motorbike to the center area of Hoi An (the Old Town). The An Bang beach is about 3 - 4 km to Hoi An Old Town, but the road is quite interesting with the characteristic scenes of Vietnam countryside.