Nha Trang or Hoi An

Jan 17th, 2007, 07:47 AM
Original Poster

Nha Trang or Hoi An

Hi
We want to make our first trip to Vietnam this March, 10 days. We've both been working really hard without a holiday for two years, so while we want to experience a country we also wish to relax and do the beach lizard thing. At the moment i'm pretty much torn between Hoi An (either Golden Sands or Palm Garden resort) or Nha Trang (Ana Mandara). Priorities are a 1st class hotel, well designed with good service - these three hotels seem to be on a par. I can imagine we'll get a bit bored of the beach at day 5, so Hoi An appealed as there are a lot of interesting sites within a day trip and also the town itself is close by. The Ana Mandara has excellent reviews, bit worried that Nha Trang is quite a bustling city and that there's not much to see within a day trip of the hotel. Are my impressions of the above accurate? Would be interested to hear your views.

Thanks
Jan 17th, 2007, 08:16 AM

I have been to both towns and they are totally different. we were in Nha Trang 5 years ago. the town was beginning to get busy then and I imagine it is even busier now. The usual markets etc. and we enjoyed a trip upriver by boat and their are some Cham ruins around the town. The main reason for us going to NT was the diving which is the best in Vietnam. he beach is OK but it get very windyevery afternoon. We stayed at the Ana Mandara and as it was a wedding anniversary, we booked some extras such as a dinner cruise on the bay. We liked the hotel a lot but it was not a true 5*. Book a beachfront room not one near the road as they are quite noisy. There is also an Evason Hideaway (same group) which has recently opened nearby which has good reviews.

Hoi An is totally different with lots to seee and do but the downside is that some find it abit too touristy (despite this I liked it). we stayed for 4 days over the new year in 2005/6 and had a great time. I can't comment on the hotels you mentioned as we stayed at Vinh Hung Merchants house in the old town. We did cycle out to the beach but did get a good impression as it was blowing a gale and torrential rain when we got there1 But given the right weather I would think it would be classeed as a decent beach. I would recommend hiring a couple of bikes and getting out into the countryside.
Have you thought of splitting your time between the two?
Jan 17th, 2007, 10:23 PM

I'd pick Hoi An, but I wouldn't want to spend 10 days there. Nha Trang is a big city with a nice beach. Hoi An is a small town with a nice beach. Golden Sands is good with a nice stretch of beach. Victoria next door is also nice, as is Palm Garden. I imagine you are flying into either HCMC or Hanoi, so you might consider those cities and the sites around them. I think 5 days in Hoi An is more than enough, so find someplace else to go for your remaining days.
Jan 18th, 2007, 02:54 PM

Bisbee, I was wondering if you've ever been to the Riverside Resort in Hoian and if you can describe a bit of the experiance of staying at a riverside hotel?
Jan 18th, 2007, 05:33 PM

I haven't been to the Riverside, but I've heard good things about it. I stayed at the Golden Sands which is quite nice, as is the Victoria. I wanted to stay on the beach so that's why I chose the Golden Sands.
Jan 19th, 2007, 07:33 PM

Nha Trang and Hoi An are quite different! Both cities are great with beautiful beaches. In fact, Nha Trang's beaches are great in Vietnam but it's similar to other beaches.Hoi An has much more special things to view and buy. You would love the Chinese style in Hoi An city. Make your choice yourself!

Wish you a great trip in Vietnam!
Jan 21st, 2007, 05:05 AM

i lived in hoi an for 4 months earlier on this year, doing charity work in an orphanage. as a tourist, i agree that 10 days is way too long. probably 4 or 5 is optimal.

i cant believe that no one has mentioned the tailors in hoi an - which is mostly what it is famous for. you can good quality tailor made suits from anywhere between 70 to 130 US dollars. worth hanging around for!

if you would like any information on the town from a local point of view, or would be interested in visiting the orphanages or any other charities in the area, please feel free to drop me an email at: [email protected]

cheers
Jan 27th, 2007, 08:17 AM

We've just finished days in Hoi An. This place is just georgeous, so much character, great restaurants and cafes and fantastic shops and galleries.

We were told that Nha Trang is like the Gold Coast (AUS) or probably Miami? We decided to skip Nha Trang and go for Hoi an, it is charming!

**Check out the Nam Hai Resort, www.ghmhotels.com, we had 5 days here and it is just beautiful. Beach frontage, private butlers, amazing accomodation. 15 mon drive in free shuttle to Hoi An. The best thing - it opened in Dec 2006, and has special rates now, because of the "soft opening". Service still needs to be refined, but it is a truly resort in a great position with a fantastic day spa!

BFN Leonie
Feb 3rd, 2007, 06:18 PM

Why not spend 5 days in both. 5 days is probably enough for each location. They are both quite different and have different attractions but should not be missed.

http://kananga.zenfolio.com/