R&R: Hua Hin or Jomtien?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 09:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking for a place to unwind, relax and generally get over jet lag for about 3 days before tackling Bangkok, etc. Don't want to go as far as Phuket vicinity. From reading posts here, sounds like Hua Hin may be more interesting than Jomtien area. Anybody got any insights for me? Thanks.
Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 10:03 AM

Hua Hin would be my recommendation. There are lots of lovely accommodations to choose from.
Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 12:26 PM

On our last trip we did both. The drive to Jomtiem is less than 2 hr from the airport. There may even be a bus. We used the Sheraton as our home there. Lovely new property, good spas(we did't use them), beautiful pools with lots of quiet nooks to veg in. The rooms are huge. We taxied into town several times for dinner. Lots of good resturant options in Jomtien and Pattaya. Sunsets from the bar are beautiful.

Hau hin is about 3 hr car ride from the air port. This time we stayed at the Hyatt. Another beautiful property. Their meals on property are quite reasonable and good. There are also a large variety of places in town and near by, reachable by taxi. Don't bother to upgrade to club rooms in either place as they are both fabulous places and all we could see you got extra was free cocktail hour and snacks.

The Hyatt is on most of the discount places and the Sheraton is on some of the discount places. We booked it directly thru the starwood hotel site..watch the site for a few weeks..the price varies from week to week.
Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 12:55 PM

Hua Hin has got to be far less crowded. There was a big train wreck, what, 10 days ago?
Jomtien as I saw it 15 days ago is still very busy as it is so close to Pattaya. South Jomtien is much quieter but there are few Hotels/GHs. Also, Jomtien has had some water sporting events, with all kinds of noise, The Thais put up bleachers (!) on the beach near Soi 5, weekend traffic jams.

Re the "more interesting" its hard to tell from your post what you find interesting. Jomtien is right down from Pattaya and all the bars, so it is going to be noisy/lots of traffic. My hotel room was 8 meters from a disco - from 8pm to 3am techno music coming through the walls, with complimentary red, yellow green and blue neon light flashing inside the room. I found it highly amusing and interesting.
But I get the feeling that would not be for you.

Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 01:06 PM

there is perhaps more to do in hua hin than in jontiem/pattaya...

the sheraton is newer by a couple of years than is the hyatt, but both are kept in great shape....i think the beach may be nicer in HH to as i am not sure how clean the water may be at pattaya....

both hotels are quite a ways out of the town areas...

the moderately priced food at the hyatt was a real bonus
Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 03:16 PM

When we want a quiet break we go from Jomtien to Hua Hin, so that tells you something.
Jomtien is booming now since the new airport has made it that much closer, I think for R&R though some nice resort such as the Hyatt or Anantara is Hua hin you would find fine. There is Golf if you into that, spas, great restaurants and national parks, but if you just want to relax Hyatt, Anantara, Sofitel( If you want to walk to shopping etc ). Jomtien if you want larger attractions and also access to nightlife in Pattaya itself.
There are bars and a couple of shows in Hua hin if you want a night out, but restaurants, night market, strolling the streets around the pier area etc, stopping for a drink, Hua Hin is quite relaxing. We almost moved there and still may do soon.
Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 07:52 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. Got the picture. Hua Hin better for us.