Help with Hue Hotel

Search

Help with Hue Hotel

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6th, 2008, 05:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with Hue Hotel

I am planning to be in Hue on Jan 1-3 and trying to decide on a hotel. I am looking at La Residence, the Imperial which gets excellent reviews on trip advisor and the Saigon Morin. Has anyone seen the Imperial and which would you recommend. I would appreciate your in put as I need to book the hotel soon.
Old Oct 6th, 2008, 07:28 AM

Hi, i stayed at the Saigon Morin last year and it was really really nice..Infact they updgraded us to a Presidential Suite upon arrival and it was amazing..I don't recall seeing the other 2 u mentioned...
Old Oct 6th, 2008, 03:36 PM

We stayed in La residence a couple of years ago and absoloutely loved it. We opted for a room overlooking the perfume River which had a massive balcony. The hotel itself is very elegant in an Art Deco style.One of teh nicest places we have stayed in Vietnam.

We were in Hue for a week earlier this year and if it was the same Imperial we had a quick look at, it was nowhere near as impressive.
Old Oct 7th, 2008, 03:58 AM

There are some very nice places to stay that are a whole lot cheaper.

I wonder, often, what it is that you get extra in paying so much money. And make no mistake, the kind of money you will pay at those kind of places is way out of line with the general cost of things in Vietnam. Have you ever thought of staying in a non-chain where more of the proceeds might go to the local people?
Old Oct 7th, 2008, 10:54 AM
Original Poster

What places are you recommending in Hue where the money would go to the local people. I would be willing to take a look at these places.
Old Oct 8th, 2008, 02:56 AM

I agree that La Residence is a gorgeous hotel, although I am sure that the profits do not find their way into the pickets of local people. My room with a view of the river offered a very distant view of both the river and the Citadel. I was in the building behind the one holding the main entrance; I believe there are two separate buildings but I do not know the differences between the two.

The hotel is elegant and architecturally masterful. The do get a fair amount of tour groups. They have many computers with free internet in the library area.

High marks from me, although obviously you do not need to spend that kind of money for a decent room in Hue.
Old Oct 8th, 2008, 03:17 AM

LPacun - now you have put me on the spot. I got off the bus from the airport (in the pouring rain) and went to look. I looked down that touristy street pretty much opposite La Residence (don't ask me what the street was called).

First stop - not good - second came up with a HUGE room with balcony and private bath for $17 usd a night.

I took it - brilliant. And such a lovely front desk person (a student making money on the side).

Now, given your other choices I doubt this will be of interest. I don't understand why you have to spend so much money for a room - maybe you aren't aware that there are alternatives?

If you are seriously interested then post again and I will find the hotel's business card. Have it somewhere!!

Old Oct 11th, 2008, 02:49 AM

You have probably made your mind up but have a look at Pilgrimage Village which is a little way out of Hue but really nice. It is a low rise spread out over a beautifully landscapped gardens. Rooms are very elegant, with a slight rustic design with balconies and lovely amenities. It is about 5 minutes out of town but shuttle buses run when you need them. I stayed there with my 10 year old whilst we were travelling around Vietnam and a fellow Aussie tourist had recommended it. Has an amazing beauty spa which I highly recommend.
Old Oct 11th, 2008, 07:32 AM

Why don't you have a look at HuongGiang hotel. Price is affordable while for a 4* hotel, good location, river view and local-owned.
Old Oct 14th, 2008, 04:08 PM

We really liked Saigon Morin. Great room, perfect location, wonderful breakfast. We didn't see any reason to spend the extra money for La Residence since the Saigon Morin was so nice. That said, many others have really enjoyed their stay at La Residence. You can check out reviews for all these hotels on trip advisor.
BTW, we really enjoyed Hue and recommend seeing the tombs on the back of motorbikes!